Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #43 Hawks (12-27) @ Raptors (30-12) Tuesday January 8th 2019. TSN 230 am(Vilnius, Lithuania) 900pm(St Johns) 830pm(Halifax) 730pm(Toronto) 630pm(Winnipeg) 530pm(Calgary) 430pm(Vancouver)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    You're one of the last true bitter guys around here...16 years ago an immature 27 year old man and a sloppy mismanaged organization share blame in bungling a chance at a longer happier relationship.

In the end the 27 year old never got his chance at a title but perhaps doesnt really care. He ended up improbably with one of the longest careers in league history. The franchise is now arguably top 3 in the industry, with arguably top 3 player in the world, with real championship aspirations.

To be bitter over the incidents of nearly 2 decades ago is akin to a divorce getting remarried, rich with a beautiful family still mad that their high school sweetheart and them had a messy breakup once upon a time.

With that said, to each their own
    I think you greatly underestimate the number of fans who have not forgotten, I wouldn't say "bitter" at all lol
    Read a few other sports sites and it's still widely split. I'm happy to carry the torch until quitter-carter retires and 5 more years of him not being hired here in some fake symbolic fan friendly fake nostalgia position ..... me bitter? nah .....

Comment

• jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
      Mind blown. I just assumed their name was Bert.
      Bert, a raps fan. Lol
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
        I think you greatly underestimate the number of fans who have not forgotten, I wouldn't say "bitter" at all lol
        Read a few other sports sites and it's still widely split. I'm happy to carry the torch until quitter-carter retires and 5 more years of him not being hired here in some fake symbolic fan friendly fake nostalgia position ..... me bitter? nah .....
        Yeah I don't mind retiring his jersey eventually but I'm not really down with bringing him back for some kind of farewell tour after the guy pitched us into NBA purgatory for a long time. His actions really cemented Toronto as the NBA wilderness until Masai painstakingly revamped that image.

Keon a better analogy would be getting dumped by your college sweetheart, in such a way that everyone thinks you have a venereal disease, and then when you've finally built up a nice happy family and she's fat and old and lonely she wants to come over and live in your spare bedroom. Uh no thanks lady.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          Yeah I don't mind retiring his jersey eventually but I'm not really down with bringing him back for some kind of farewell tour after the guy pitched us into NBA purgatory for a long time. His actions really cemented Toronto as the NBA wilderness until Masai painstakingly revamped that image.

Keon a better analogy would be getting dumped by your college sweetheart, in such a way that everyone thinks you have a venereal disease, and then when you've finally built up a nice happy family and she's fat and old and lonely she wants to come over and live in your spare bedroom. Uh no thanks lady.
          I Didn’t think the bitterness was so deep.Was more upset when Tracy Mcgrady left for nothing,then went on to 2 scoring titles and mvp’s

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Bert, a raps fan. Lol
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

haha perfect

Comment

• Hawks twitter account trolling

Comment

I don't want to bring back Carter for a farewell tour either. He will likely have his jersey retired here someday. He will likely make the HOF. His story is basically done, but he'll keep playing as long as people keep paying (I don't think it's because he's greedy, just because despite not being a fierce competitor he actually does love the game).

However, I am still sick of the imbalance of blame in this whole saga. Carter's actions put the franchise in NBA purgatory? How about the franchise's actions put them in NBA purgatory.

You're already a non-destination in the league at the time. Despite Carter's rise and popularity, Toronto was not really thought of as a big player in the NBA. Still hadn't won anything and still had to work past the stigma of being a non-US franchise. Carter wanted the team to commit to trying to take it to the next level. I don't think they had to hire his boy Dr. J, but they had to do something to show him they were serious about trying to be a contender. The team basically told him they weren't going to do that. They hired a first (and only) time GM in Babcock, who was a complete dud, and basically went into rebuilding but wanted him to keep filling the seats despite the fact that he'd have to spend some of the prime of his career losing.

Top tier players don't want to spend the prime of their careers losing, and the better franchises don't want to waste those seasons of having a real window to make noise (because that also makes you the most money). Is Carter blameless? Of course not, but he was still basically a kid and things turned quickly in Toronto. It's too bad we didn't have better ownership or a GM like Masai who probably could've made him realize that patience for a season or two could pay off (a Bosh-Carter duo could have had a chance at a Finals appearance in those days). MLSE basically thought they could treat him like an "employee" instead of one of the biggest brands in sports at the time. This was a massive mistake. So once again, the franchise's actions, led by bad ownership that hired worse management, was the biggest problem at the time, and it stayed the problem until OTPP finally sold it and then Masai was hired.
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 8, 2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Horrified at Kyle's leaps and falls with his bad back..

Comment

• I laughed out loud at that shot clock violation.

Comment

• Man they look determined to run and gun tonight

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Is Carter blameless? Of course not, but he was still basically a kid and things turned quickly in Toronto.
                              I don't disagree with most of what you wrote but you can drop the "just a kid" narrative. He may have been coddled and selfish but he was no kid. He was a 27 year old man who knew what he was doing and didn't care. And no, things didn't turn around quickly in Toronto; they weren't above .500 the year of the quitter or the next 4 seasons....I was there, I remember ....

Comment

• CJ can't even make those 3s that Vince makes.

Comment

Working...
                                X