Likes Likes:  134
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Game #43 Hawks (12-27) @ Raptors (30-12) Tuesday January 8th 2019. TSN 230 am(Vilnius, Lithuania) 900pm(St Johns) 830pm(Halifax) 730pm(Toronto) 630pm(Winnipeg) 530pm(Calgary) 430pm(Vancouver)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Lowry quotes are great in that article too suprised we haven't brought them up here.

Answered a few of our questions. Yes, Kyle watches the games closely in the back when hes injured. Yes, Kyle text kawhi soon after the trade. Yes, Kyle is a happily employed nba player and father trying to win games. No, he will not at any point ever get sucked into a clickbait quote manipulated to look like any type of shade at derozan. Which they (the media) are dying to get.

A lot of people here seem to want Lowry to be out as an ambassador like DeRozan, and come out that he loves us oh so much. We're not gonna get it. But we should realize by now that Lowry is all in for whatever Jersey has his name on it. And it's our Jersey.
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

2. Likes Demographic Shift, Machine, Just Is liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Lol, the anxiety is real. I guess we were hoping for "Kawhi has been seen around town taking up skating and building snow forts with uncle Dennis"

I look at it like this: if Kawhi is leaving regardless of what we do he probably knows it already. What I'm not worried about is what ujiri can offer as a franchise, or as a team builder. Whatever will be will be.
    If Kawhi is leaving it's because he wants to be close(r) to home. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing Raps can do if that is the case. There's no sense worrying about it now. The deal is done. He'll either be here come opening night in the fall or not. MLSE is clearly doing all it can to give him a reason to stay.

As an aside, no one makes major life decisions based on the weather alone. Unless one is an idiot. And I don't think Leonard is an idiot. Things like weather play a role only when you have another, real reason move.

4. Likes KeonClark, Jclaw, Mitchell Duong liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    If Kawhi is leaving it's because he wants to be close(r) to home. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing Raps can do if that is the case. There's no sense worrying about it now. The deal is done. He'll either be here come opening night in the fall or not. MLSE is clearly doing all it can to give him a reason to stay.

As an aside, no one makes major life decisions based on the weather alone. Unless one is an idiot. And I don't think Leonard is an idiot. Things like weather play a role only when you have another, real reason move.
    Biggest non-career influences are usually wife & kids. Followed by: mom, dad, brothers, sisters, friends, etc... The fact that his wife is from San Diego and he has a young daughter already handicaps it at > 80% he's leaving for me. Wives almost always want to have family around to help them raise their kids. Raps probably need to win it all, or at least get to Game 7 of the Finals to make Kawhi even consider staying.

Biggest clue was one that Kawhi himself dropped at the beginning of the season.....

Leonard said. “You get drafted to a team, sometimes you get lucky and are able to play in your hometown or stay in the same state....
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/l...027-story.html

Live in the moment, fans. This is supposed to be our one year in heaven. Better damn well be.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Biggest non-career influences are usually wife & kids. Followed by: mom, dad, brothers, sisters, friends, etc... The fact that his wife is from San Diego and he has a young daughter already handicaps it at > 80% he's leaving for me. Wives almost always want to have family around to help them raise their kids. Raps probably need to win it all, or at least get to Game 7 of the Finals to make Kawhi even consider staying.

Biggest clue was one that Kawhi himself dropped at the beginning of the season.....

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/l...027-story.html

Live in the moment, fans. This is supposed to be our one year in heaven. Better damn well be.
    I've always said, if we won the championship this year, I don't really care all that much anymore. Obviously I'd prefer he stayedm but The Goal has been achieved

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I've always said, if we won the championship this year, I don't really care all that much anymore. Obviously I'd prefer he stayedm but The Goal has been achieved
    That's the right mindset. We have to consider this year's team as being the best and final version of the Casey/Derozan/Lowry core - with DeMar upgraded to Kawhi, Casey upgraded (hopefully) to Nurse and the best ever supporting cast. The idea should be to take advantage of Lowry's shrinking window for one last hurrah. If Kawhi leaves, it makes the rebuild decision real easy.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    That's the right mindset. We have to consider this year's team as being the best and final version of the Casey/Derozan/Lowry core - with DeMar upgraded to Kawhi, Casey upgraded (hopefully) to Nurse and the best ever supporting cast. The idea should be to take advantage of Lowry's shrinking window for one last hurrah. If Kawhi leaves, it makes the rebuild decision real easy.
    The players I think know that too. Serge was implying that in the SI article. He knows that if Kawhi leaves he's a gonner too.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Say what you will about Vince....and maybe that sums it up right there. You can't not say something. That said, it's worth checking out this feature from JLew even for the pictures alone.

Great article. He has impacted a lot of people, fans and players both.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Great article. He has impacted a lot of people, fans and players both.
    Does VC get the standing ovation tonight?

Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

he did last time he was here so I assume so. most those fans in the building are new fans or Fairweather so they don't have the same emotional attachment as us lifers. if the acc was full of fans who were really watching in that era i would guess itd be a nice polite clap and a maybe 25% standing o 5% boo

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless he announced his retirement tour like Wade - then no. What if he comes back next year? Or the year after that?

Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just heard some talking heads on NBA Sirius XM, discussing Kawhi's future, a lot of it based on this SI article that came out. Basically one guy believed he'll end up with the Clippers but the other two guys thought we had a pretty strong chance to re-sign him.

The guys that believed he would stay cited Masai's prowess as a GM, but also had an interesting take: Toronto is doing an excellent job in making Kawhi the centre of the franchise, giving him the right amount of attention/respect, space regarding his health/play frequency etc..), and yet not smothering him with the kind of TMZ attention he would get in LA, something that Kawhi would certainly dread. They pointed that here, he would get a lot of exposure and basketball attention by having the whole country supporting him, on a winning team with a serious shot a the title, but without the drama, which is precisely what Kawhi is looking for.

One of the guys followed up by saying that if Kawhi went to LA, he would have to endure every team event and paparazzi attention, and yet would still be locally considered "second class basketball citizen" because locally in LA, that's how the Clippers are viewed in relation to the Lakers (even when the Clippers is doing better as a team)

That is nothing new and we talked about this here on this very forum, but it was interesting to see some are seeing that south of the border as well (on Sirius NBA radio)

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not unamimous (as it wasn't before either) but less boos .... SportsNet and the Raptors are sucking up to the memories again as Masai yet again tests the waters to see if they bring him back in some capacity at retirement. jmo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Not unamimous (as it wasn't before either) but less boos .... SportsNet and the Raptors are sucking up to the memories again as Masai yet again tests the waters to see if they bring him back in some capacity at retirement. jmo
    You're one of the last true bitter guys around here...16 years ago an immature 27 year old man and a sloppy mismanaged organization share blame in bungling a chance at a longer happier relationship.

In the end the 27 year old never got his chance at a title but perhaps doesnt really care. He ended up improbably with one of the longest careers in league history. The franchise is now arguably top 3 in the industry, with arguably top 3 player in the world, with real championship aspirations.

To be bitter over the incidents of nearly 2 decades ago is akin to a divorce getting remarried, rich with a beautiful family still mad that their high school sweetheart and them had a messy breakup once upon a time.

With that said, to each their own

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It amazes me that people think this is Masai's call. I imagine Larry Tannenbaum still feels he lost a lot of money and was publicaly made a fool of, and I do not think he has a short memory. But heh, maybe he is a warm fuzzy guy who doesn't worry about such things...
    Last edited by meductic; Tue Jan 8th, 2019 at 06:33 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar jacobdr4's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    i just realized that "berta" is referring to alberta so there's that.
    Mind blown. I just assumed their name was Bert.

Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont think we will win tonight.

Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raptors Republic All-Star Rudy Bargnani's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No Bazemore no prince no Plumlee. Lol.

Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Zainab wrote: View Post

Sneaky nick not letting anyone get a look at us at full strength until the playoffs.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information