Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 104

Thread: Everything Patrick McCaw

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8,016
    Likes (Given)
    1231
    Likes (Received)
    1468

    Default

    Quote inthepaint wrote: View Post
    More like a inside source into GSW's playbook maybe?
    If so..thatís pretty amazing forward looking planning
    Thinking itís to push Wright or in preparation for buying out Malachi Richardson..

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Starter Ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    542
    Likes (Given)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    97

    Default

    He's pretty much gonna be our 14th/15th man

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    259
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote inthepaint wrote: View Post
    It's not wrong and I'd love that, butI don't think GSW would do it
    Depends on how petty they are and/or how badly they want him back.

    On a somewhat different note:

    Something something McCaw something something Bird rights. *Urkel laugh*
    Last edited by TheWaterboy; Wed Jan 9th, 2019 at 11:42 PM. Reason: I can't grammar.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    723
    Likes (Given)
    464
    Likes (Received)
    364

    Default

    Skimming thru the comment section in the front page, wild imaginations and conspiracies about this signing, i don't get it. To me this is a warm body to replace Zo Brown's spot, that's it.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,171
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    433

    Default

    Quote inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Skimming thru the comment section in the front page, wild imaginations and conspiracies about this signing, i don't get it. To me this is a warm body to replace Zo Brown's spot, that's it.
    ya see it the same way. but unlike brown macaw has potential to give semi consistently solid mins. we needed to get a 14th man anyways as u can only go so long with only 13 roster spots. macaws a pretty Damm good for a 14th man.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,171
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    433

    Default

    Fred should really look to make Macaw a brand athlete of BOY. dude turned down 2 years 5 mill with the champs.signed for 800K on a team he probably won't get a tons of minutes. he either really believe in himself or hates the warriors for some reason

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Likes (Given)
    792
    Likes (Received)
    1320

    Default

    Quote inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Skimming thru the comment section in the front page, wild imaginations and conspiracies about this signing, i don't get it. To me this is a warm body to replace Zo Brown's spot, that's it.
    If that was the case why not just promote Jordan Lloyed & save some money?! I think there will be more things to come down the pipe.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,274
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default

    If we replacing norm sure, he is basically a taller norm. Max potential rip Hamilton but he is too soft imo. So a taller norm is probably his ceiling.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,171
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    433

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    If that was the case why not just promote Jordan Lloyed & save some money?! I think there will be more things to come down the pipe.
    macaws a real nba caliber player Lloyd isn't that yet. think they jumped while the situation was available. the organization certainly seemed like they liked brown so him not getting his contract extended around the same time Patrick came available looks like they actually wanted macaw. plus I don't think u really save much money cause brown contract would have been guaranteed for rest of the season and we have to carry 14 guys regardless.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    A few things to note. The Raps can make McCaw an RFA this summer with a very low QO. So I'm not sure why McCaw is doing this, but hey, good for the Raps.

    The Raps seem to love grabbing these guys who can do some stuff well but can't shoot and believe they can teach guys to shoot. We'll see. For now, he just has to clear the Lorenzo Brown line. And in all likelihood will not need to absorb as many minutes as Brown had to unless there's another lengthy injury to Lowry or FVV or Wright.

    One last thing, to a question upthread: the Raptors can send him to the 905 without his permission, as he doesn't have 3 years experience yet. So expect some reps there for him in all likelihood once the main roster is fully healthy.

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    If that was the case why not just promote Jordan Lloyed & save some money?! I think there will be more things to come down the pipe.
    Promoting Loyd wouldn't save them much money at all. All minimum salaries count for the same for tax purposes. And they can still bring Loyd up for a bunch of NBA days on his 2-way deal.

    It looks like they are chasing the same path with their 2-way guys as last season - they'll promote one or the other on the last day of the year so they can be on the playoff roster at minimal cost.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar LJ2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,006
    Likes (Given)
    841
    Likes (Received)
    509

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Yeah I'm not really seeing the value of this signing. He's a decent defender and has good size. 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan. Could this mean Norm is on his way out?

    I don't really see him replacing Fred or Delon. He's a combo guard but you could say that about Norm too.

    I wonder if Masai has a Norm deal up his sleeves and took in McCaw as a cheap replacement? This year's Norm is better though so could backfire if that's what he's up to.
    He's not replacing Fred or Delon. He's replacing Brown.

    On the plus side Raptors actually develop their young players, and are big on internal growth. GSW are constantly in win now mode and don't invest in player development. Could PM develop into a Delon/FVV type player in a season or two?

  13. Likes DanH, inthepaint, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  14. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,754
    Likes (Given)
    3868
    Likes (Received)
    1440

    Default

    Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    He's not replacing Fred or Delon. He's replacing Brown.

    On the plus side Raptors actually develop their young players, and are big on internal growth. GSW are constantly in win now mode and don't invest in player development. Could PM develop into a Delon/FVV type player in a season or two?
    Sums it up nicely, including the upside and Dan already referenced the fact that Raptors have pretty good control of Patrick's potential cost to them next season. I wonder if players and agents are paying attention to Raps history of developing players? Their history in this regard may be paying dividends. I have no idea how they compare to other teams in the league, but for guys on the bubble (low dollar risk) they seem to be attractive, as opposed to the Euro League route.

  15. #54
    Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,171
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    433

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    A few things to note. The Raps can make McCaw an RFA this summer with a very low QO. So I'm not sure why McCaw is doing this, but hey, good for the Raps.

    The Raps seem to love grabbing these guys who can do some stuff well but can't shoot and believe they can teach guys to shoot. We'll see. For now, he just has to clear the Lorenzo Brown line. And in all likelihood will not need to absorb as many minutes as Brown had to unless there's another lengthy injury to Lowry or FVV or Wright.

    One last thing, to a question upthread: the Raptors can send him to the 905 without his permission, as he doesn't have 3 years experience yet. So expect some reps there for him in all likelihood once the main roster is fully healthy.
    Can he be a RFA this summer? it was my understandings that since the cavs singed him then released him he will now be a UFA?
    the whole situation is really weird from McCaw side. i dont know how this works out better for him when he had a 4 million contract on the table in GSW.

  16. #55
    Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    723
    Likes (Given)
    464
    Likes (Received)
    364

    Default

    Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    He's not replacing Fred or Delon. He's replacing Brown.

    On the plus side Raptors actually develop their young players, and are big on internal growth. GSW are constantly in win now mode and don't invest in player development. Could PM develop into a Delon/FVV type player in a season or two?
    ^^This

  17. #56
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    Quote bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    Can he be a RFA this summer? it was my understandings that since the cavs singed him then released him he will now be a UFA?
    the whole situation is really weird from McCaw side. i dont know how this works out better for him when he had a 4 million contract on the table in GSW.
    He's UFA right now (a team waiving a player never gets RFA rights), which is why the Raps can sign him. But he'll be RFA at the end of the year, because he's only played 3 seasons.

  18. #57
    Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,171
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    433

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    He's UFA right now (a team waiving a player never gets RFA rights), which is why the Raps can sign him. But he'll be RFA at the end of the year, because he's only played 3 seasons.
    ah okay makes sense. thanks

  19. #58
    Raptors Republic All-Star GOLDBLUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,285
    Likes (Given)
    2089
    Likes (Received)
    1010

    Default

    Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere along the way...

    Between cutting Brown and adding McCaw, does this move save any money? Or is it just a swap of who we gave a guaranteed deal to. ie. McCaw is getting $790,000 or whatever, with a tax bill of $2.5 mil (approx) ... Would we have had to pay Lorenzo more than that salary, 2 or 3 million or something, or is that what he would've got anyway?

    Seeing as they HAD TO add another player to bring them up to 14 roster spots, I'm wondering if this turns out to be a cost saving move in the end or just a personnel move.

  20. #59
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,623
    Likes (Given)
    1818
    Likes (Received)
    2543

    Default

    Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    He's not replacing Fred or Delon. He's replacing Brown.

    On the plus side Raptors actually develop their young players, and are big on internal growth. GSW are constantly in win now mode and don't invest in player development. Could PM develop into a Delon/FVV type player in a season or two?
    He *might* be replacing Norm though. Very similar player. Norm makes $9M more though and has 3 more years on his deal.

    We could have done better as a Brown replacement if that's all he his.

  21. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,171
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    433

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    He *might* be replacing Norm though. Very similar player. Norm makes $9M more though and has 3 more years on his deal.

    We could have done better as a Brown replacement if that's all he his.
    really? to me it just seems like a brown replacement, and i don't think we could have done any better in that case. Who is available right now who has more NBA talent then McCaw?

  22. Likes Puffer, Day One liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

  1. Jclaw,
  2. Rudy Bargnani

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •