Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #45 Raptors (32-12) @ Wizards (18-25) Sunday January 13th, 2019. SN1.6:00pm(London,England)7:00pm(Douala,Cameroon)8 :00pm(Vilnius, Lithuania) 2:30pm(St Johns) 2:00pm(Halifax) 1:00pm(Toronto) 12:00pm(Winnipeg) 11:00am(Calgary) 10:00am(Vancouver)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zainab wrote: View Post

Relevant because last year we stockpiled wins against so so teams and played .500 or so against good teams

Comment

Boston Twitter was a fun place last night

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Relevant because last year we stockpiled wins against so so teams and played .500 or so against good teams
        We were 25-18 against .500+ teams last season. 17-10 this year. Not dramatically different - that narrative was completely oversold last season. Every contender has a win profile like that - smashing bad teams mostly and winning at a less proficient pace against the competent teams (as you'd expect). Last year's Raps were especially good crushing bad teams, but they weren't particularly bad at beating competitive teams. They had the best vs .500+ record in the East and third best in the league.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Zainab wrote: View Post

Interesting. I'd have to look into it more. I would suspect good west teams will be higher since they have more opportunities against the big block of western teams that are around .500.

Good east teams basically have four other good east teams and then a bunch of junk to play.

Comment

Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
            Interesting. I'd have to look into it more. I would suspect good west teams will be higher since they have more opportunities against the big block of western teams that are around .500.

Good east teams basically have four other good east teams and then a bunch of junk to play.
            It’s a stat..you can’t apply a bias (such as good west teams) to it Mitchell or the stat loses its mathematical objectivity.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Moreso than the record against top 10 teams last year was our Defense against top 10 offensive teams. Or lack there of.

Raptors were the 2nd best in the NBA against the bottom 20 teams and 29the best against top teams.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/09/2...-best-offenses
              Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Sun Jan 13, 2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                We were 25-18 against .500+ teams last season. 17-10 this year. Not dramatically different - that narrative was completely oversold last season. Every contender has a win profile like that - smashing bad teams mostly and winning at a less proficient pace against the competent teams (as you'd expect). Last year's Raps were especially good crushing bad teams, but they weren't particularly bad at beating competitive teams. They had the best vs .500+ record in the East and third best in the league.
                But last season the Raptors weren't as good at beating teams with high calibre all stars on the opponents roster. A trip to OKC last season meant a certain loss. This year having Kawhi + Siakam bringing his game to another level + resurrection of Ibaka's career, means we are the team that should be feared most at home & maybe on the road too.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  But last season the Raptors weren't as good at beating teams with high calibre all stars on the opponents roster. A trip to OKC last season meant a certain loss. This year having Kawhi + Siakam bringing his game to another level + resurrection of Ibaka's career, means we are the team that should be feared most at home & maybe on the road too.
                  Sure, and that's very promising. I'm just saying record vs .500+ teams doesn't tell the story some think it does.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

What am I missing, Dan? You have us with 17 W vs +.500 teams, the tweet has us with only 12.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      What am I missing, Dan? You have us with 17 W vs +.500 teams, the tweet has us with only 12.
                      .500+ versus >.500. Mine (which is the one NBA tracks and is more easily referenced) includes .500 teams, theirs doesn't. I think.

And you never know whether one stat or another is talking about teams that are .500 now or .500 at the time of the game.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

.500+ versus >.500. Mine (which is the one NBA tracks and is more easily referenced) includes .500 teams, theirs doesn't. I think.

And you never know whether one stat or another is talking about teams that are .500 now or .500 at the time of the game.
                        Teams that are over .500 now, we're 15-8, I think.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

What about the article that Rudy Bargnani posted? It was more about DRTG vs. elite teams as a predictor of 'fools gold'. How are the Raps doing this year with that?

This quote was interesting....

it was the best bench in basketball that really struggled to hold its own defensively. The players with the biggest differential between how many points the Raptors allowed against the top-10 or not-top-10 offenses were C.J. Miles, Fred VanVleet and Delon Wright
                          Last edited by golden; Sun Jan 13, 2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                              What about the article that Rudy Bargnani posted? It was more about DRTG vs. elite teams as a predictor of 'fools gold'. How are the Raps doing this year with that?

This quote was interesting....
                              Yeah, I don't know, that's a lot of data parsing. I could figure it out but it's a decent bit of work that I don't really want to do (right now, anyway).

It wasn't DRTG against elite teams, it was DRTG against elite offences. It was interesting that the bench died in those situations. But that's also the sort of stat that can vary pretty quickly over a season, so it's the sort of thing best looked at as we approach the playoffs. I imagine they'd look a lot better this year compared to last at this point, but that's a low bar.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                                Moreso than the record against top 10 teams last year was our Defense against top 10 offensive teams. Or lack there of.

Raptors were the 2nd best in the NBA against the bottom 20 teams and 29the best against top teams.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/09/2...-best-offenses
                                So how are we doing with that this year?
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X