Likes Likes:  264
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Marc Gasol

Raptors Republic All-Star big boi's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Doesn't move the needle short term, asset loss long term. I don't see how this affects playoff picture, hoping he's going to play his heart out though, but I've seen him live vs Utah and Lakers... If you think JV was slow, wait for slow 2.0. Happy for the JV though, he will actually reach his potential in a historically good program for bigs.
    Iím excited to see what JV can do in Memphis too. I think he was mis managed re his weight and he was never trusted to play through his mistakes. Will always fondly remember him beasting in the playoffs.

2. Likes BrydenB liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star GOLDBLUM's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Ibakas...chancletas? They can call them "ma fuzzys!"

Fuzzy slippers are Demarre Carroll’s thing.
    Let’s keep it that way.

Raptors Republic Veteran tDotted's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He's exactly the kind of player a team needs in the playoffs. It's less pressure on Lowry/Kawhi to create off the dribble which is huge.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Disagree on 2 fronts.

1. We have a number of above average 3 point shooters.

2. Almost all the " passing to create better shots" will be out of half-court sets. I'd guess an average NBA half-court set yields about 1 ppp tops ( was 0.95 in the 15-16 season, which was all I could find). So even shooting 34% from 3 seems a decent half court outcome.
    Who are the number of above average 3 point shooters over the Kawhi Serge and Pascal I mentioned. Forgot Green, who else you got?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7. Likes Hotshot, MixxAOR, Joey, A.I, We Tha North liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star big boi's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Lol just like people liked to defend JV's weakness in this stat when DeMar was here, it works the other way too. That stat is more about how well your perimeter guys apply pressure than it is what your big is doing. JV is not a good defensive player. I just won't allow it to continue to be spun any other way.
    This is true. What I think I, and many others felt, was while Demarís significant defensive deficiencies were over looked, JVís werenít. I didnít like the hypocrisy. Plus while JV was not a good help / team defender, I felt like he could often guard his position, which I could never say of Demar. But I digress Gasol is a vast defensive improvement.

One more thought. This is Gasolís last chance at a championship. Same as Lowry. That can be a powerful motivator. I really hope this works out.

Raptors Republic Superstar bertarapsfan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    looks like half of a men league bowling team

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, he's one big dude.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looks good in a raps uniform -- wish we could have gotten him a few years ago but thats ok, he's gotta help us this year.

Raptors Republic Superstar Jclaw's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    looks like half of a men league bowling team
    It looks like Marc should be holding up a newspaper showing proof of life What shady place was this taken in?

Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Who are the number of above average 3 point shooters over the Kawhi Serge and Pascal I mentioned. Forgot Green, who else you got?
    Green, Kawhi, Norm and FVV are all shooting above league average.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    It looks like Marc should be holding up a newspaper showing proof of life What shady place was this taken in?
    Some seedy hotel on Jarvis street.

Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    I find it hilarious that yet another narrative persists when there is absolutely zero basis for it. Serge at PF was never an issue when he had a competent C beside him (JV, that is). They were part of a dominant starting lineup last year (one of the very best heavy minutes lineups in the league) and no, they were not the problem in the playoffs - that pairing remained one of our stronger pairings in both rounds of the playoffs, even with Serge's individual scoring struggles.

And with Gasol as the C, presumably you could run the same pick actions with Serge as they are now, with Gasol able to provide at least as much spacing as Siakam does.

Serge at PF would be fine. I wouldn't start him there, but I would give him minutes beside Gasol for a few minutes in the middle of every Q to buy Siakam some rest (4 minutes each Q would do it even if OG gets moved to full time SF, which I doubt, so probably more like 2-3 minutes each Q).
    The issue is not the effect Serge had on the team as PF , is the effect the PF position had on him last year. Serge at PF last year had a garbage season. Serge at C this year is having one of the best seasons of his career. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I can see why people are reluctant in having him as the 4 again.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote inthepaint wrote: View Post
    The issue is not the effect Serge had on the team as PF , is the effect the PF position had on him last year. Serge at PF last year had a garbage season. Serge at C this year is having one of the best seasons of his career. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I can see why people are reluctant in having him as the 4 again.
    Okay, so by what measure was Serge's last year garbage, and by what measures is he having one of the best seasons of his career? Like, he looks to be having a moderately more successful season so far by production (eg, .136 WS/48 vs .117). But most of that is just him having a higher usage rate with essentially the same efficiency as last season. He has somewhat better offensive rebounding numbers, but keep in mind he probably maintains those since Gasol tends to operate in the high post or above the arc, leaving Ibaka free to crash the glass much the same.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, so by what measure was Serge's last year garbage, and by what measures is he having one of the best seasons of his career? Like, he looks to be having a moderately more successful season so far by production (eg, .136 WS/48 vs .117). But most of that is just him having a higher usage rate with essentially the same efficiency as last season. He has somewhat better offensive rebounding numbers, but keep in mind he probably maintains those since Gasol tends to operate in the high post or above the arc, leaving Ibaka free to crash the glass much the same.
    Ok , so let me get this straight, are you saying that Ibaka's last season and this season are about the same?

If so, I'm afraid you're the only one who thinks this. I mean, we can make a poll. One of last year's favorite pastimes was try to figure out ways to get rid of Ibaka that would hurt the less, as he was pretty much a negative asset/albatross contract. This year (whether it is because he is playing at C or not), he's averaging the highest PPG of his career, around the best rebounding of his career (close to his prime 2012-2015 seasons), with better rim protection, better shot selection, better decision making , now second highest scorer on the team, and 3rd on the league in in FG% from the right elbow on the pick'npop. Better passer too, even his assists number are the best of his career. So if this is not his best season ever is pretty close, and compared that to last year it's night and day, multiple articles having been written about the complete turnaround.

18. Likes Rudy Bargnani liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Multiple articles have been written about the perception of his turnaround. I agree that the perception is as you describe it. Reality, not so much. He's been moderately better. He's largely the same player. He was over-criticized last season, under-criticized this season. Therein lies most of the perception gap between the two.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Multiple articles have been written about the perception of his turnaround. I agree that the perception is as you describe it. Reality, not so much. He's been moderately better. He's largely the same player. He was over-criticized last season, under-criticized this season. Therein lies most of the perception gap between the two.
    So every analyst and fan is just "perceiving" Ibaka's season to be a significant turnaround from last season. It's not really happening. it's just that everyone (other than you) is "perceiving" that. Ok then.

Last edited by inthepaint; Sat Feb 9th, 2019 at 04:08 AM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Remember how you cried and ate ice cream and watched the notebook for a week when DeMar left? Theres a lot of jv "fanboys" here, myself included. This one hurts for us
    Wow, this is rich. You threw shade for months at anyone who felt bad about DeMar.

What happened to "I only care about the name on the front of the jersey" and "I'm a fan of the team and not the player" and "anyone who's a DeMar fanboy can go follow the Spurs"? Jeez man, I hope you can see the hypocrisy.

Being a fan of the team IS being a fan of the players, and when they are longtime parts of the story you follow for years and years, it sucks to see them go. Like I'm glad we got Marc but I'm sad about JV. I was glad that we got Kawhi but I was sad about DeMar. Hopefully even Christian can see how something can be positive and bittersweet at the same time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DanH you have completely lost the plot if you think Serge is only playing marginally better at C than PF.

Raptors Republic All-Star Rudy Bargnani's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ibaka’s 2017-2018 season is criticized for several reasons mainly his playoffs being terrible. In terms of playoff performance last season was bad or among the worst of his career.

He’s clearly playing better this year. Points/rebounds/assists per game all better. If you don’t like those stats his Fg% is better his TS% is better his AST% is better his OFFRTG and NETRTG are better.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information