Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth Teller wrote: View Post
    In the playoffs, I trust Gasol more than JV. People are forgetting that playoffs are a different beast. Some players are more wired in. I like JV and thought he was underutilized, but Gasol doesnt miss easy tipins in important games.
    Hopefully this is true, but of course JV was one of the Raptors' only consistent playoff performers. Guy was a beast, pick a stat/category and JV was as good or better than his regular season comparables on a team when many other guys weren't.

Gasol is smart, a good team defender still, a more prolific outside shooter, and still a very good passer. He's also an accomplished vet with some gravitas (I hate that word). Maybe he helps bridge this somewhat awkward Lowry/Kawhi dynamic.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Last time Gasol was in the playoffs

19.3/6.5reb/4.2ast on 47/58

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      He's an old man that can't turn his head and loses feeling in his hand now. Different player.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Last time Gasol was in the playoffs

19.3/6.5reb/4.2ast on 47/58

Those 6.5 RPG make me nervous.

Comment

The problem with this trade is if we don't literally win a championship it's a fail and it's hard to see any silver lining in the long term if that happens.

Does it tangibly make us more likely to beat GSW? I'm not so sure. Remember Gasol isn't actually a proven playoff performer. He's had good showings but also absolutely terrible ones. Now maybe that's because he was the primary option, which he won't be here. I mean, wasn't he shut down by Draymond Green in one of their series?

It could, but again, if it doesn't lead to a ring it's a total failure. Is Kawhi more likely to come back to the team where most of the core is old and declining? With fewer assets to work with? And no money to spend to improve via free agency?

I hope it all works out because winning a ring is the goal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            The problem with this trade is if we don't literally win a championship it's a fail and it's hard to see any silver lining in the long term if that happens.

Does it tangibly make us more likely to beat GSW? I'm not so sure. Remember Gasol isn't actually a proven playoff performer. He's had good showings but also absolutely terrible ones. Now maybe that's because he was the primary option, which he won't be here. I mean, wasn't he shut down by Draymond Green in one of their series?

It could, but again, if it doesn't lead to a ring it's a total failure. Is Kawhi more likely to come back to the team where most of the core is old and declining? With fewer assets to work with? And no money to spend to improve via free agency?

I was looking forward to JV vs Boogie tbh. Elbows up!
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

if Marc wasn't checked out in Memphis and just is what he is now, then this is a real bad trade.

raps are basically banking on gasol being a quitter.

For the team I hope that he feels he has something to prove.

Comment

Bigs can usually play well in thier 30s. It's usaully undersized PGs that struggle as they age.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Which of JV DW or CJ were assets?

How were any of them going to be the difference in a championship?

Comment

anyway I have actually always really liked marc gasol, i just don't believe he still has it. hope to be proven wrong but kind of expect to be tanking soon.

Comment

The silver lining is 1) Kawhi hopefully re-signs with an improved team, and 2) the financials are a little cleaner - if Kawhi bolts you've got a backup plan of three giant expirings.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        The silver lining is 1) Kawhi hopefully re-signs with an improved team, and 2) the financials are a little cleaner - if Kawhi bolts you've got a backup plan of three giant expirings.
                        We just saw the Mavericks use expiring contracts to snag Porzingis. And how the Nets used capspace smartly to stock up on draft picks, when they had none of their own for years.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                          Which of JV DW or CJ were assets?

How were any of them going to be the difference in a championship?
                          JV had a decent chance to opt in and is still young/underutilized enough to grow more. Could have been a piece in a trade for a younger player whose window is more likely to align with Kawhi's. And if you don't think he could have been a difference maker in the playoffs given his track record, and in a GSW matchup against Cousins, then I don't know what to tell you.

We controlled Wright's contract as he would be a RFA, giving us the choice. He was playing well for us and providing solid D and playmaking. We just lost perimeter playmaking but gained post playmaking. Delon was very good for us last year in the playoffs, the only season he got meaningful postseason minutes.

CJ was always expendable, so yeah he's not an asset.

Gasol will be a 35 year old slow footed C making 25 million next year. We will not have an easy time getting value for him, not even the value we gave up for him. Does he make us significantly better this year? If he doesn't it only makes it harder to improve for the future.

We gave up our strongest interior player and only guy other than Kawhi who doesn't shy away from physicality for an old finesse big who has looked to be declining the last couple of years. I don't know where this "Gasol proven playoff performer" talk comes from. His career playoff numbers are pretty underwhelming. He's had good and bad years, so who knows what we'll get?

I think the ceiling for this team before this trade was a Finals appearance with a slim chance at a ring. I think that is still our ceiling after the trade, and we're basically hoping to get lucky and Gasol plays at his highest level as a "last hurrah" kind of run. Could be just as likely he has issues being effective and is a dud.

Here's an article on his play this season and a snippet I am copying. There are reasons for concern:
                          https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/201...phis-grizzlies

"The drop off is shocking.

Over the span of October and November, 21 total games, Marc Gasol averaged 48% shooting total from the floor, 41.6% conversions of his three point shot attempts, and 18 points a game. He did all of this while posting dominant defensive statistics, including an impressive 103 defensive rating over the month of November. He even averaged a double double over that 15 game stretch - 19.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, and a +12 net rating (115 offensive rating, 103 defensive rating). He was dominant...a very outside shot MVP candidate.

Now?

Over the last 19 games of the season, also known as December and January, Marc has shot 37.7% from the floor, 27.5% from three, which has been good for 12.3 points per game. In fact, the only area where his numbers are really up are his assists (5.1 per game compared to 4 per game in October and November) and free throw percentage. While that improvement is relatively drastic - 72.8% October/November, 86.2% December/January - the drop off in attempts cancels that out as well. Gasol has taken only 2.68 free throws per game over the last 19 contests compared to 4.9 attempts over the previous 21. He simply isn’t as aggressive offensively.

Defensively he is a step slow and his impact on that end has gone from remarkably dominant to unbelievably bad. He looks like he can no longer move laterally - he is either unwilling or unable to step out on open shooters on switches and over screens, and when the defense collapses rotations are a step slow as well and far too many easy dunks are had at the rim for Grizzlies opponents. Opposing squads shot 45.6% from the field in six October games against the Grizzlies and a worse 44.7% in November. So far in January teams playing the Grizzlies are shooting 48.4%.

That is unacceptable."

Comment

holy shit Marc Gasol is Kyle Lowry but centre lol
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Financials are not much different at all.

Instead of having 25ish millions split between a young C in his prime and a veteran shooter, we have it invested in one aging C whose value is more likely to decline going forward. Don't see how anything improved there. We were still set up to have capspace that summer.

Comment

So the real question here is who starts? Serge has been playing so well as a starter its hard to justify taking him out of the lineup. I dunno if marc and serge should start together, and will marc be able to accept a bench role. Will be looking to what nick decides to do
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X