No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People feeling a bit better about the trade today I hope? Gasol is going to bring a dynamic to this team we've never had.

In Masai I trust.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

this channel does highlights of Spanish national team players.
      That was an absolute treat to watch.

He does so many things JV couldn't do. Those hook shots were fantastic. Defensive positioning. Those passes, man those passes. Not to mention hitting a 3 and a nice deep bank shot.

Whoever thought Gasol was washed up needs to watch that video and then eat a big bowl of crow.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        So is Gasol still just a marginal upgrade if that to JV?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        The trade was UNACCEPTABLE! JV is so much younger than Gasol. And Gasol is just MARGINALLY better(lol) than JV! Unacceptable!

The numbers also say JV is better than Gasol!!
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Well, we have yet to see exactly what Gasol's actual output is going to be on a game to game basis (really looking forward to seeing him start so we can get an idea how much of a fix he will be). But we have seen that the potential is definitely still there. He already looks better than he has recently in Memphis, so the hoped-for winning-team-bump does appear to be there.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Gasol is better than JV.. but the trade still doesn't make sense to me. Our problems were not at C. Actually Ibaka/JV were pretty awesome together. I'd easily have them as the best C tandem in the league. Combined averaged 35/15. JV had no issues play 19 minutes and coming off the bench. Yet he'd still have been effective against Embiid, Lopez or Baynes.

What we needed was more consistency at the 3pt line.. and/or a solid #2 after Kawhi that can create his own shot.

We didn't fill those needs.

The trade is not a massive win. I like that we got Lin to replace Delon though. If Lin didn't ask for a buyout than I don't know if we would have been better off. McCaw is not a good PG (we saw that last night).

I really do believe that Masai made this trade because Philly made theirs.

Remember, Charlotte was first in line for Gasol, not Toronto.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Gasol is better than JV.. but the trade still doesn't make sense to me. Our problems were not at C. Actually Ibaka/JV were pretty awesome together. I'd easily have them as the best C tandem in the league. Combined averaged 35/15. JV had no issues play 19 minutes and coming off the bench. Yet he'd still have been effective against Embiid, Lopez or Baynes.

What we needed was more consistency at the 3pt line.. and/or a solid #2 after Kawhi that can create his own shot.

The trade is not a massive win. I like that we got Lin to replace Delon though. If Lin didn't ask for a buyout than I don't know if we would have been better off. McCaw is not a good PG (we saw that last night).

Gasol can hit 3's and create his own shot.

He also added much needed passing to the lineup, something that was a huge problem.

This trade was a home run.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

He also added much needed passing to the lineup, something that was a huge problem.

He shoots 34%.. League average is 35%. Yeah he's an excellent passer. That's great. But not something we needed. This isn't 2015. We pass now.

It only became a good trade once we got Lin.

Like I said Gasol is better than JV. Yet we also lost our backup PG.. and a shooter (yeah you can laugh, but CJ was shooting better than 45% after Jan 1).

Definitely not a home run. I don't see that at all. Gasol is no longer an all-star. He's a good player but not an elite player anymore.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  He's a 34 year old former all nba, he's not about to start crawling on the ground doing a snow angel
                  he was actually quoted as saying he might do a snow angel next time lol
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

this channel does highlights of Spanish national team players.
                    Man, I don't want to sound like an ass, but look at how well Gasol contains and contests penetration. He's so good on defense. Look how quickly he reads the play on both ends of the court and the shot release without hesitation. Game two people, game bloody two!

Comment

He shoots 34%.. League average is 35%. Yeah he's an excellent passer. That's great. But not something we needed. This isn't 2015. We pass now.

It only became a good trade once we got Lin.

Like I said Gasol is better than JV. Yet we also lost our backup PG.. and a shooter (yeah you can laugh, but CJ was shooting better than 45% after Jan 1).

Definitely not a home run. I don't see that at all. Gasol is no longer an all-star. He's a good player but not an elite player anymore.
                      Also much of Gasol's issues in the last two seasons have been due to physical decline. He sprained his ankle earlier this year and proceeded to suck really hard for almost two months straight. He has also dealt with back issues.

The concern isn't whether Gasol can help us, it's whether he'll be healthy enough to do so come time for a deep playoff run.

The other concern is if we lose with this lineup (and I literally mean not win a ring), does it hurt our chances of retaining Kawhi? It could hurt our chances of we get to the summer *after losing and he sees a squad with many declining players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Feb 12, 2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Gasol is better than JV.. but the trade still doesn't make sense to me. Our problems were not at C. Actually Ibaka/JV were pretty awesome together. I'd easily have them as the best C tandem in the league. Combined averaged 35/15. JV had no issues play 19 minutes and coming off the bench. Yet he'd still have been effective against Embiid, Lopez or Baynes.

I don't really agree with this. JV and Ibaka were good, but in the playoffs JV can be blasted off the floor by teams that go small, or come right at him with pick and roll. He's a good match for Embiid and Baynes, but so is Gasol. I really think they wanted more playmaking from the inside, and Gasol adds much more to that and is good for pick and pop against the Bucks.

The 3 point shooting does look better if Lowry's shot gets back on track and FVV and OG go back to catch and shoot spots. There are not many acquisitions that are going to help with 3 point shooting if Lowry and others in the rotation continue to struggle.

I do think that Masai might have preferred Mirotic, but that fell apart because the Bucks offered more or Orlando backed out because Fultz was available. Depending on what was moving. Perhaps Masai could make both offers. I don't know.

Charlotte was interested in Gasol, but they either passed or Memphis didn't like the offer enough. Not sure what that says or doesn't say about the trade.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The success of the trade will be based on Gasol's health.

Right now he looks like a re-energized stud that will give his all to this team, so right now it looks like a home run, and if the goal is all-in this year, then this is a win. That said, Gasol's injury history is not short, and when you're 34 you don't recover from them as quickly. If he's able to stay relatively healthy this year and next, then it was beyond worth it, but that (him staying healthy), is unfortunately far from a given.

This is out his control, and out of Masai's control though, so given the circumstances (all-in year, Wright being a RFA next summer etc..), this was a good move.

Comment

• Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
                            I don't really agree with this. JV and Ibaka were good, but in the playoffs JV can be blasted off the floor by teams that go small, or come right at him with pick and roll. He's a good match for Embiid and Baynes, but so is Gasol. I really think they wanted more playmaking from the inside, and Gasol adds much more to that and is good for pick and pop against the Bucks.

The 3 point shooting does look better if Lowry's shot gets back on track and FVV and OG go back to catch and shoot spots. There are not many acquisitions that are going to help with 3 point shooting if Lowry and others in the rotation continue to struggle.

I do think that Masai might have preferred Mirotic, but that fell apart because the Bucks offered more or Orlando backed out because Fultz was available. Depending on what was moving. Perhaps Masai could make both offers. I don't know.

Charlotte was interested in Gasol, but they either passed or Memphis didn't like the offer enough. Not sure what that says or doesn't say about the trade.

Yeah Gasol can handle those guys.. maybe even better than JV. But the point was that Ibaka would play in most match ups where teams do go small. JV was insurance when teams go big. Gasol can do the pick and pop or pass.. We have more options on offense with him. But JV was way more efficient and a better rim protector.

The trade wasn't just Gasol for JV though. It was Gasol for JV, Delon and CJ. Now imagine we didn't get Lin? Imagine Fred is out for more than 3 weeks? Imagine if Lowry is hurt for the playoffs? Imagine if CJ's 3pt shooting is rounding back to form. I think he shot 47% from 3 since Jan 1.

We gave all that away for this trade. Is it significantly better? Maybe, but it's not a homerun in my view.

Even if we couldn't get Mirotic or another shooter, or scorer.. JV+Delon+CJ might have been better than Gasol (if we couldn't get Lin).

Lin is what evens out the trade for me. Maybe Masai knew Lin was going to be available so that's why he pulled the trigger. Or he might have gotten lucky. Hope it was the former here.

Charlotte's deal apparently fell through because Memphis didn't like the pick protection. Thought it was too high. But they were first in line. That trade almost happened. The apparent return for Gasol from Charlotte was Bismack+MKG+FRP (protected).

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Man, I don't want to sound like an ass, but look at how well Gasol contains and contests penetration.
                              Coming soon to a theatre near you....Marc Gasol stars in Shawshank Redemption II

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                                The success of the trade will be based on Gasol's health.

Right now he looks like a re-energized stud that will give his all to this team, so right now it looks like a home run, and if the goal is all-in this year, then this is a win. That said, Gasol's injury history is not short, and when you're 34 you don't recover from them as quickly. If he's able to stay relatively healthy this year and next, then it was beyond worth it, but that (him staying healthy), is unfortunately far from a given.

This is out his control, and out of Masai's control though, so given the circumstances (all-in year, Wright being a RFA next summer etc..), this was a good move.
                                He's been playing 33.7 minutes a game. And apparently he played on his ankle while it was still sore. He should see his minutes come down a bit with the Raptors, at least for regular season games. His health should consequently improve.

Comment

Working...
                                X