No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone see serge playing a bit of power forward if gasol starts and gets around 33 mpg

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
      Does anyone see serge playing a bit of power forward if gasol starts and gets around 33 mpg
      Well, Serge ain't playing under 20 MPG, so yeah I'd expect a good bit of time at PF for him.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Well, Serge ain't playing under 20 MPG, so yeah I'd expect a good bit of time at PF for him.
        I hope he is a little more effective than last year at that position hopefully some of gasols skills help him out. Serge has been very good as a center.
        '

Comment

• Two different coaches thought that Jv was a liability on defensive end. Last coach who was billed as one of his biggest supporters. The outcome was still the same. We have way better perimeter defenders this year and he still played less than last year. Looks like the same thing in Memphis. Ivan Rabb is starting over him guys. The proof is in the pudding.

Also Marc Gasol is a better basketball player than Jv. That's why we made the trade plain and simple. He is not even on the team anymore stop overrating him already.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
            I hope he is a little more effective than last year at that position hopefully some of gasols skills help him out. Serge has been very good as a center.
            '
            Meh, Serge has been somewhat more effective than last season, while his most used lineup has been significantly less effective than his most used lineup last season was.

In any case, with Gasol able to shoot, no reason Ibaka can't operate in the same space on the floor and in sets that he does now when they share the floor.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Which just circles back to the start Gasol argument. The whole point of this trade is not to upgrade the JV minutes, and as noted it's somewhat questionable whether those would be upgraded at all. The point is that Gasol should be able to play heavy minutes while providing similar big-C benefits to what JV provided (plus some additional stuff with his passing) because he can defend more matchups.

I personally don't buy that JV could not have played a lot more than he did, nor that the team couldn't succeed with him matched up against smaller C's. But assuming that thinking was the logic behind the move, Gasol needs to start and play significant minutes every game for it to make sense.

And that all leaves aside the obvious maximization of Gasol's greatest skill with better scorers and shooters around him in the starting lineup.
              Well you're wrong. It's why his minutes have continually decreased every year since his 2nd season in the league.

You wanted to chalk it up to just Casey hate for a long time, but then your golden boy Nurse benched him and lowered his minutes even more than Casey did.

Comment

Meh, Serge has been somewhat more effective than last season, while his most used lineup has been significantly less effective than his most used lineup last season was.

In any case, with Gasol able to shoot, no reason Ibaka can't operate in the same space on the floor and in sets that he does now when they share the floor.
                This is just simply and plainly a dishonest statement.

The JV dick riding really has to stop man. Serge is having his best season since 2014 this year. He's handling a higher usage than he ever has in his career and scoring with his 2nd highest ever efficiency to boot.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Look, I love JV and his hyperefficiency, but there's a bit of a "per 36" problem using his recent numbers. Mobility issues have limited his usage the last couple of years to favourable match ups only. In those match ups, he excels. What would his numbers look like at 30+ mpg like Gasol? It won't just be an extrapolation of his hyperefficiency, it will include a bunch of minutes against undersized, mobile 5's with outside range. This is what's become the crux of the JV problem. He's great in his role and against another traditional big, but the evolution of the league has limited his usability. Gasol is slightly more versatile and should be able to be on the floor more.
                  But at the same time we have to be honest that Gasol is a flawed and aging player with his weaknesses (offensive and defensive rebounding, finishing at the rim, rolling, etc... ) being JV's strengths, regardless of matchup. Have already seen Gasol get blocked multiple times at the rim and was getting mild flashbacks of Greg Monroe's lack of lift. Those are bunnies for JV that we've gotten used to seeing (120+ ORTG for 5 straight years against starters).

If Gasol's passing ability can't unlock a new level of efficiency for our offense, then this trade could end up being more of an offense for defense tradeoff. And another important question is how effective will Gasol be defending death lineups or other stretch 5s. Is he going to get benched in the 4th quarter like JV?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    But at the same time we have to be honest that Gasol is a flawed and aging player with his weaknesses (offensive and defensive rebounding, finishing at the rim, rolling, etc... ) being JV's strengths, regardless of matchup. Have already seen Gasol get blocked multiple times at the rim and was getting mild flashbacks of Greg Monroe's lack of lift. Those are bunnies for JV that we've gotten used to seeing (120+ ORTG for 5 straight years against starters).

If Gasol's passing ability can't unlock a new level of efficiency for our offense, then this trade could end up being more of an offense for defense tradeoff. And another important question is how effective will Gasol be defending death lineups or other stretch 5s. Is he going to get benched in the 4th quarter like JV?
                    If it came down to just being a defense for offense trade off I would still do this trade. We have a lot of players that can score already, but we need to tighten things up on the other end. We should have been in top 5 with the personnel we have.

I do think Gasol's passing will improve our offense as well.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

The JV dick riding really has to stop man. Serge is having his best season since 2014 this year. He's handling a higher usage than he ever has in his career and scoring with his 2nd highest ever efficiency to boot.
                      His efficiency is largely in line with last season - his TS% is less than 1% higher than it was last year, when he was such a disaster at PF, and his turnover rate is 2% higher. His ORTG is up, which is nice, but largely driven by him increasing his ORB% due to playing inside more (which no one is arguing he shouldn't do - Gasol being able to play outside is key to maintaining Ibaka's role at PF).

Yes, his usage rate is higher, but too many people treat usage and efficiency as counter to each other - generally speaking players don't see a drop in efficiency as their usage increases. They hold fairly steady until they reach a role they aren't suited for and then drop off dramatically. Meanwhile, Serge's usage rate of 23% is hardly star usage - it's third option usage (and purely as a finisher, not unlike JV's usage), and is not actually far off his usage from the last couple years (19, 21%).

It's a good thing that Serge is playing slightly better than last year - he was already a solid contributor, and he's developed into a solid contributor who can also provide a bit of volume scoring. Really I'm most impressed by his passing this year, which has improved quite a bit and has nothing to do with the position he plays, even with the uptick in turnover rate that comes with it.

Although it is worth noting that Serge is basically riding November to that efficiency. Since December 1st he's floating around 55% TS%, which would be well below his efficiency from last year. He's had a few good games in February, all against decent to good teams, so hopefully his efficiency will tick up again now and not keep falling. Doubt that playing C or PF will make the difference there though. Maybe Gasol taking more of those tough C minutes will help him keep that up instead of getting all beat up like he had to over the past few months with JV hurt.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Well you're wrong. It's why his minutes have continually decreased every year since his 2nd season in the league.

You wanted to chalk it up to just Casey hate for a long time, but then your golden boy Nurse benched him and lowered his minutes even more than Casey did.
                        I'm curious, have I ever chalked anything up to Casey hating JV? I disliked Casey for a lot of rotation decisions, that included, but have I ever suggested that Casey had anything against JV or was unfairly benching him? I think I've been pretty clear that I just think that the rotation decisions being made (with the best of intentions, of course) are simply the wrong decisions. I make no judgment on motive, just outcome.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          If it came down to just being a defense for offense trade off I would still do this trade. We have a lot of players that can score already, but we need to tighten things up on the other end. We should have been in top 5 with the personnel we have.

I do think Gasol's passing will improve our offense as well.
                          And that's really the hope here. That Gasol's IQ can be the super-glue that seems to be missing with a team that's loaded with talent and teases us with spurts of dominance, but lacks consistency. Not saying they're perfect, but when you look at the Bucks and see them execute with ruthless precision, possession after possession, it feels they're a just a really well-coached squad totally maxing out their potential - which they probably are. With the Raps, the lack of communication is comical at times, on both ends of the court and happens regularly even after 50+ games. It feels like we've only scratched the surface of our potential, in terms of guys playing together as a unit.

Comment

The JV dick riding really has to stop man...
                            Whoa. You've certainly won me over with your mature and reasoned response. How old are you again? Did you study logic somewhere along the line? Maybe head of your high school debating team.

At least you can quote numbers and stats to prove your points.

Oh wait!

Comment

And that's really the hope here. That Gasol's IQ can be the super-glue that seems to be missing with a team that's loaded with talent and teases us with spurts of dominance, but lacks consistency. Not saying they're perfect, but when you look at the Bucks and see them execute with ruthless precision, possession after possession, it feels they're a just a really well-coached squad totally maxing out their potential - which they probably are. With the Raps, the lack of communication is comical at times, on both ends of the court and happens regularly even after 50+ games. It feels like we've only scratched the surface of our potential, in terms of guys playing together as a unit.
                              Yup, comes with the big changes they made in the off season. Kawhi changed the dynamic of the team and sometimes it seems like he's reinventing his own offensive game. I didn't watch a lot of Spurs basketball but he seemed more like a finisher than initiator with them. Here it's been all pass the ball to Kawhi and watch what he does. When he's not in the game the Raptors play much more like a team.

Having said that you now have Gasol whose game helps everyone around him including Kawhi. Should start to see better ball movement now and less hero ball.

Comment

...With the Raps, the lack of communication is comical at times, on both ends of the court and happens regularly even after 50+ games. It feels like we've only scratched the surface of our potential, in terms of guys playing together as a unit.
                                Agree completely. In particular help rotations are far worse than expected. But they've had what, 15 different starting lineups? Still seems to be a lot of poor defensive execution, with guys waltzing to the basket through wide open corridors after two Raptors defenders run out of the paint at a 3pt shooter who calmly makes a pass that winds up in a layup or dunk.

Comment

Working...
                                X