Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I find it hilarious that yet another narrative persists when there is absolutely zero basis for it. Serge at PF was never an issue when he had a competent C beside him (JV, that is). They were part of a dominant starting lineup last year (one of the very best heavy minutes lineups in the league) and no, they were not the problem in the playoffs - that pairing remained one of our stronger pairings in both rounds of the playoffs, even with Serge's individual scoring struggles.

And with Gasol as the C, presumably you could run the same pick actions with Serge as they are now, with Gasol able to provide at least as much spacing as Siakam does.

Serge at PF would be fine. I wouldn't start him there, but I would give him minutes beside Gasol for a few minutes in the middle of every Q to buy Siakam some rest (4 minutes each Q would do it even if OG gets moved to full time SF, which I doubt, so probably more like 2-3 minutes each Q).
    Here's how I see it and I want to clarify that this is a sweet problem for Nurse to have. The issue for Serge now isn't his competency of working within a system. It's do his capabilities match up vs. either Gasol or Siakam. Gasol does everything Ibaka can do as well or better with the exception of his athleticism (it's really his only flaw in his game). Siakam is now better at basically everything except his mid range game or maybe, just maybe setting screens. The thing is that they both bring so much more with Gasol playing as a 5 or Siakam playing as a 4 than Ibaka does at either. Now that isn't to say that a Gasol-Siakam back court is a set in stone, foregone conclusion. What it means is that Ibaka must know that on paper at least he comes up short in this discussion.

Personally, I'd like to see some experimentation. Gasol brings so many aspects of his game to the team on both ends of the floor that it's impossible to resist the temptation to work some funky line-ups.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Ibakas...chancletas? They can call them "ma fuzzys!"
      Nah.. Serge would be a set of huge sunglasses - the I-blockas (eye blockers)

Comment

• Wow.. Gasol saved us a bit of cash there on the deal. That's pretty cool

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Wow.. Gasol saved us a bit of cash there on the deal. That's pretty cool
          Got a chuckle reading this. $3.2 Million = a bit of cash.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Remember how you cried and ate ice cream and watched the notebook for a week when DeMar left? Theres a lot of jv "fanboys" here, myself included. This one hurts for us
            lol. Raptors all in. I understand this move from Masai. Hope it works out. Finals would be a huge step for this franchise. I’ve always really liked JV. But our team just got better. The starting five and whoever the 6th man is at any given time, siakam, ibaka or gasol, is incredibly good. And we should be happy and optimistic about that.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
              Doesn't move the needle short term, asset loss long term. I don't see how this affects playoff picture, hoping he's going to play his heart out though, but I've seen him live vs Utah and Lakers... If you think JV was slow, wait for slow 2.0. Happy for the JV though, he will actually reach his potential in a historically good program for bigs.
              I’m excited to see what JV can do in Memphis too. I think he was mis managed re his weight and he was never trusted to play through his mistakes. Will always fondly remember him beasting in the playoffs.

Comment

Ibakas...chancletas? They can call them "ma fuzzys!"

Fuzzy slippers are Demarre Carroll’s thing.
                Let’s keep it that way.

Comment

• He's exactly the kind of player a team needs in the playoffs. It's less pressure on Lowry/Kawhi to create off the dribble which is huge.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Disagree on 2 fronts.

1. We have a number of above average 3 point shooters.

2. Almost all the " passing to create better shots" will be out of half-court sets. I'd guess an average NBA half-court set yields about 1 ppp tops ( was 0.95 in the 15-16 season, which was all I could find). So even shooting 34% from 3 seems a decent half court outcome.
                    Who are the number of above average 3 point shooters over the Kawhi Serge and Pascal I mentioned. Forgot Green, who else you got?

Comment

• Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        Lol just like people liked to defend JV's weakness in this stat when DeMar was here, it works the other way too. That stat is more about how well your perimeter guys apply pressure than it is what your big is doing. JV is not a good defensive player. I just won't allow it to continue to be spun any other way.
                        This is true. What I think I, and many others felt, was while Demar’s significant defensive deficiencies were over looked, JV’s weren’t. I didn’t like the hypocrisy. Plus while JV was not a good help / team defender, I felt like he could often guard his position, which I could never say of Demar. But I digress Gasol is a vast defensive improvement.

One more thought. This is Gasol’s last chance at a championship. Same as Lowry. That can be a powerful motivator. I really hope this works out.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          looks like half of a men league bowling team
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Man, he's one big dude.

Comment

• looks good in a raps uniform -- wish we could have gotten him a few years ago but thats ok, he's gotta help us this year.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                                looks like half of a men league bowling team
                                It looks like Marc should be holding up a newspaper showing proof of life What shady place was this taken in?

Comment

Working...
                                X