Likes Likes:  264
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Marc Gasol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    I think people are kind of underestimating what just happened.

- We are now starting a superstar, 2 star level sidekicks and 2 elite role players one of whom might actually be a star (Siakam).
    - We are starting 5 guys who can all defend their position (2 former DPOYs), shoot the ball from outside, make plays for others and have extremely high basketball IQ.
    - We have legitimate championship pedigree on the roster and significant playoff and international experience.

People can go on about how efficient JV was but the reality is he presented a lot of the same problems DeRozan did in that he's a major defensive liability and at times it's legitimately hard to keep him on the floor (which is why he only plays 19mpg now).

We have no such players in the rotation at the moment. This is huge.
    AND we got rid of CJ, his contract, and those god awful GoDaddy commercials in the process!

2. Likes A.I, Shredder liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Rudy Bargnani's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote 007 wrote: View Post

We got the Spanish connections
    Lowry and Gasol played together in Memphis back in the day too.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

- We are now starting a superstar, 2 star level sidekicks and 2 elite role players one of whom might actually be a star (Siakam).
    - We are starting 5 guys who can all defend their position (2 former DPOYs), shoot the ball from outside, make plays for others and have extremely high basketball IQ.
    - We have legitimate championship pedigree on the roster and significant playoff and international experience.

People can go on about how efficient JV was but the reality is he presented a lot of the same problems DeRozan did in that he's a major defensive liability and at times it's legitimately hard to keep him on the floor (which is why he only plays 19mpg now).

But if we look at this season JV actually protected the rim A LOT better than Marc. JV is at like 67% where Marc is at 49% and they're both slow so neither can guard on the perimeter well.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like that he's still solid defensively (shows in his DBPM and DRPM numbers).. that's a big upgrade. But he's not a good shooter at all (54% TS, 34% from 3). And I don't consider him a star anymore.. Memphis sucked so bad the last couple of years. A "star" shouldn't let that happen. And he had Conley back this season too.

He's not washed up like Dirk or Melo are... but he's also not as good as he used to be. His injuries might be catching up to him fast.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is very clear that Massi is putting huge hope in this playoff. He is doing many gambling right now, but there is not a major difference between Marc and JV. I do believe that JV is more dynamic than Marc. On the other hand, when you bear in mind the lose of D Wright, then it is a major black hole in the PG side.

This trade will hurt us in the playoff.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    But if we look at this season JV actually protected the rim A LOT better than Marc. JV is at like 67% where Marc is at 49% and they're both slow so neither can guard on the perimeter well.
    Wow.. he's under 50% at the rim? Yikes

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

9. Likes Joey, Shaolin Fantastic liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last two years the grizz started off well. (Two years ago they beat Golden State twice) but they're too thin and Conley and Gasol have to carry the offense. They wear down, and the team starts to lose, and they check out as the team tanks.

Now they wear down because they're not 26, but that load is ridiculous. I like what Nurse did with Ibaka and I think he'll do the same with Gasol. We'll see a good player here.
    Last edited by Mitchell Duong; Thu Feb 7th, 2019 at 08:06 PM.

11. Likes Joey, A.I liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great trade for the Raptors. Gasol is just so crafty and smart. I also like this move for a possible match up against the Bucks because it's going to be a lot harder for Giannis to get his shot off over Gasol at the rim than Serge

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Great trade for the Raptors. Gasol is just so crafty and smart. I also like this move for a possible match up against the Bucks because it's going to be a lot harder for Giannis to get his shot off over Gasol at the rim than Serge
    Yeah he has that crafty veteran and cool demeanor that really helps when the games are tight and the tension is high.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote RaptorsVictim wrote: View Post
    It is very clear that Massi is putting huge hope in this playoff. He is doing many gambling right now, but there is not a major difference between Marc and JV. I do believe that JV is more dynamic than Marc. On the other hand, when you bear in mind the lose of D Wright, then it is a major black hole in the PG side.

This trade will hurt us in the playoff.
    More DYNAMIC? Lol. Guys I love jv but Marc makes plays from the top of the arc..and I mean with the ball not just setting screens. And dont forget when comparing jv 2019 numbers to Gasol you're taking a guy on a top 5 team feasting on bench guys where we dump it in to him and let him do his thing, to a guy playing against western conference starters every night getting double teamed cause his teammates suck. It's not a fair comparison

Plus lowry's window is closing just as fast as gasols is so the time is right now.
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

15. Likes Shaolin Fantastic, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Lochson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember when our blockbuster trade talks were about Hedo and Rudy Gay
    Me The Palmerston North

17. Likes KeonClark, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Lol just like people liked to defend JV's weakness in this stat when DeMar was here, it works the other way too. That stat is more about how well your perimeter guys apply pressure than it is what your big is doing. JV is not a good defensive player. I just won't allow it to continue to be spun any other way.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    What's scary about this isn't going to be the shot off the pop. It's going to be the pass that happens after the defense scrambles to recover. People are going to be getting dunked on hard by a cutting Kawhi or Siakam.

20. Likes Joey liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's scary about this isn't going to be the shot off the pop. It's going to be the pass that happens after the defense scrambles to recover. People are going to be getting dunked on hard by a cutting Kawhi or Siakam.
    I hope the Gasol/Siakam chemistry happens quick and rims get wrecked.

22. Likes GOLDBLUM liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope the Gasol/Siakam chemistry happens quick and rims get wrecked.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    Love this though.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol just like people liked to defend JV's weakness in this stat when DeMar was here, it works the other way too. That stat is more about how well your perimeter guys apply pressure than it is what your big is doing. JV is not a good defensive player. I just won't allow it to continue to be spun any other way.
    Hey man I want you to be right. I'm a raptors fan first and as long as Gasol's here I'm rooting for him and the team

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can’t you just picture Gasol at the high post passing it to Siakam who’s cutting backdoor towards the basket who kicks it to Danny green in the far corner for an open 3.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
    Yeah he has that crafty veteran and cool demeanor that really helps when the games are tight and the tension is high.
    His passing reminds me of C Web in his Days with the Kings. Absolutely smooth

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information