Likes Likes:  110
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 235

Thread: Everything Jeremy Lin

  1. #121
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,133
    Likes (Given)
    623
    Likes (Received)
    907

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Well somebody (i.e. Masai) messed up big time, because they signed FVV to a backup PG, but you're saying that Fred is really a 5'10" JJ Redick.
    Yep. He's not good enough.

    One thing I hate about Masai is how he constantly seems to fuck up and overpay his role players. It's a real issue because you end up with a lot of bad money on the books. Prior to the trade deadline we had nearly 30M tied up in Miles, FVV and Powell. Three players who barely impact our ability to win games.

  2. #122
    Raptors Republic Superstar Raptor Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,773
    Likes (Given)
    663
    Likes (Received)
    321

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Well somebody (i.e. Masai) messed up big time, because they signed FVV to a backup PG, but you're saying that Fred is really a 5'10" JJ Redick.
    Probably Bobby, MU doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't even have a backspace or delete on his keyboard. Every Key just says WIN.

  3. Likes LJ2, Rudy Bargnani, Chefff liked this post
  4. #123
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16,433
    Likes (Given)
    4351
    Likes (Received)
    7556

    Default

    Quote Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
    Probably Bobby, MU doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't even have a backspace or delete on his keyboard. Every Key just says WIN.
    Term and contract extensions and free agent signings have actually been the one SLIGHT weakness in masais management. His trading is A++ and drafting A+ but I'd give his contract work a C
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

  5. Likes golden liked this post
  6. #124
    Raptors Republic Superstar LJ2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,109
    Likes (Given)
    864
    Likes (Received)
    526

    Default

    Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Yep. He's not good enough.

    One thing I hate about Masai is how he constantly seems to fuck up and overpay his role players. It's a real issue because you end up with a lot of bad money on the books. Prior to the trade deadline we had nearly 30M tied up in Miles, FVV and Powell. Three players who barely impact our ability to win games.
    Is that related to trying to get American players to play here?

  7. #125
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,988
    Likes (Given)
    5306
    Likes (Received)
    9181

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Well somebody (i.e. Masai) messed up big time, because they signed FVV to a backup PG, but you're saying that Fred is really a 5'10" JJ Redick.
    This is such a silly stance. We've been over this before. Fred was signed because he was awesome at what he did last year. He was signed to continue to do what he did last year. He hasn't been used that way enough this year, so he's struggled. Which is why this is a good move, because it appears to slot him back into that role (which he's been sliding back toward as the season has gone on anyway).

    Yes, Masai signed a 6 foot SG. That's not a screw-up, it's the player he wanted to sign, and he was right to want that.

    Why would you assume that Masai signed FVV to be backup PG when our backup PG from last year (Wright) was still on the roster, and immediately upon trading that backup PG Masai went and signed another one?

  8. #126
    Raptors Republic Superstar Maury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,378
    Likes (Given)
    391
    Likes (Received)
    933

    Default

    The bigger contracts are also necessary for Masai to complete bigger trades. He needs to match salary with somewhat good value so all these young guys being slightly overpaid isnít a terrible thing.

  9. Likes planetmars, Raptor Jesus liked this post
  10. #127
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,908
    Likes (Given)
    1889
    Likes (Received)
    2648

    Default

    Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Yep. He's not good enough.

    One thing I hate about Masai is how he constantly seems to fuck up and overpay his role players. It's a real issue because you end up with a lot of bad money on the books. Prior to the trade deadline we had nearly 30M tied up in Miles, FVV and Powell. Three players who barely impact our ability to win games.
    In fairness.. these types of contracts are helpful in that they can usually be used to get a trade done for a better target. I mean if we didn't have CJ on the roster and his $8M we probably don't get Marc.

    The key is to make sure they are small term deals. 2 years instead of 3. Team options instead of player options, etc.

    I never liked that 4th year on Norm or that 3rd year on CJ. But Toronto also has an issue locking guys down, so even though Masai feels like we should "believe in the city".. some of that is hyperbole. We're still not an A-1 destination for most of the NBA.

  11. Likes Raptor Jesus liked this post
  12. #128
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,636
    Likes (Given)
    1039
    Likes (Received)
    3787

    Default

    Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Is that related to trying to get American players to play here?
    With Miles, it was to address shooting issues. If we get regular season Miles from last year - that's a fair market value contract. For FVV and Powell the 'overpaying role players' criticism is somewhat justified - I think it comes from Masai signing underdog type players and then seeing a huge improvement in the contract year and then assuming that trajectory into the future and possibly overpaying for that. Where in the case of Powell and FVV, they actually take a step back to being who people thought they were when they were underdogs.

    That said, Masai got a lot smarter after the JV, Ross & Powell extensions, with Wright (no extension) and FVV (only a 2 year contract). Massive expiring contracts next year, which has become useful trade currency once again.

  13. Likes LJ2 liked this post
  14. #129
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,636
    Likes (Given)
    1039
    Likes (Received)
    3787

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    This is such a silly stance. We've been over this before. Fred was signed because he was awesome at what he did last year. He was signed to continue to do what he did last year. He hasn't been used that way enough this year, so he's struggled. Which is why this is a good move, because it appears to slot him back into that role (which he's been sliding back toward as the season has gone on anyway).

    Yes, Masai signed a 6 foot SG. That's not a screw-up, it's the player he wanted to sign, and he was right to want that.

    Why would you assume that Masai signed FVV to be backup PG when our backup PG from last year (Wright) was still on the roster, and immediately upon trading that backup PG Masai went and signed another one?
    Because numerous interviews, quotes, etc... from FVV & Nurse have indicated that FVV is the backup PG and is being groomed to eventually take over Lowry's starting job. And we signed Lin because you need 3 PGs in this league (Jordon Loyd doesn't count, btw) and Lin was the best guy on the market at a ridiculously low price.

    Why would you assume that FVV was signed to be the backup SG when there is no evidence of that in writing, other than last year's bench mob success, which FVV and Nurse themselves have said "is dead". It looks more like they're force fitting FVV into roles to extract what limited value they can out of him. I could easily see him being traded in the off-season.

  15. #130
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    12,079
    Likes (Given)
    1832
    Likes (Received)
    3511

    Default

    Offense aside. FVV's defense is trash this year. That's mostly on him.
    GASOLINE!!!

  16. #131
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,636
    Likes (Given)
    1039
    Likes (Received)
    3787

    Default

    Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Offense aside. FVV's defense is trash this year. That's mostly on him.
    His defense has been offensive at times.

  17. #132
    Raptors Republic Superstar The Claw Reborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    4,063
    Likes (Given)
    118
    Likes (Received)
    230

    Default

    Amazing get by Masai. I really liked Linís enthusiasm to sign with the Raptors.

    It is a very timely signing especially with our back up PG injured.

    We are getting a very decent player who can step in to a role that requires instant contribution and is no slouch in games that mattered.

    I dont mind Fred staying out a little longer, maybe this lengthy time off would allow him to cure whatever is ailing him aside from that thumb. He has regressed significantly this season and has affected the flow of the offense. He had some good moments in spurts but overall, he was totally out of sync.
    Maybe when he comes back, he can be that 2010-2011 JJ Barea who was intrumental to the Mavs stretch run to the Championship.

    Now Nurse can play a much taller PG with good range and can drive the ball to the basket with much better success.

  18. #133
    Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    857
    Likes (Given)
    519
    Likes (Received)
    403

    Default

    Quote Maury wrote: View Post
    The bigger contracts are also necessary for Masai to complete bigger trades. He needs to match salary with somewhat good value so all these young guys being slightly overpaid isn’t a terrible thing.
    That's true. The other thing to is, yes you need top end guys to win a chip, but you also need good role players. Lebron, Davis and even Harden this year are not exactly likely to make the finals, it's still a team sport. That said, good role players are not nearly as rare as guys that can literally carry you to the finals, so they don't need to be overpaid. Need to find a balance between having good quality guys that will help your top end talent win, having flexible pieces for salary matching on trades, and keeping the overall salary under control so you're not under a chronic cap crunch all the time.

  19. #134
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,988
    Likes (Given)
    5306
    Likes (Received)
    9181

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Because numerous interviews, quotes, etc... from FVV & Nurse have indicated that FVV is the backup PG and is being groomed to eventually take over Lowry's starting job. And we signed Lin because you need 3 PGs in this league (Jordon Loyd doesn't count, btw) and Lin was the best guy on the market at a ridiculously low price.

    Why would you assume that FVV was signed to be the backup SG when there is no evidence of that in writing, other than last year's bench mob success, which FVV and Nurse themselves have said "is dead". It looks more like they're force fitting FVV into roles to extract what limited value they can out of him. I could easily see him being traded in the off-season.
    So, wait, did we sign Lin to replace FVV as backup PG or did we sign Lin to sit on the bench as third string PG? Both of those things would be pretty dumb. As compared to signing Lin to play backup PG and allow FVV to slide back into his more natural role, which actually makes some semblance of sense.

    They are definitely force-fitting FVV into a different role. They appear to be trying to stretch FVV's game, see if he can handle taking on more offence creation. It's always good to try to expand guys' skill sets. Heck, they've had Green and OG both handle the ball more than they should in the same effort. But they aren't forcing him into that role to maximize the return on his deal - the obvious way to maximize the return on his deal is to have him play the role he is best suited to play.

    Obviously you could see FVV being traded in the off-season. He's not a star, he's not a core piece. He's a valuable role player, and is paid as such. Of course he might be traded.

  20. #135
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,839
    Likes (Given)
    3896
    Likes (Received)
    1460

    Default

    Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Yep. He's not good enough.

    One thing I hate about Masai is how he constantly seems to fuck up and overpay his role players. It's a real issue because you end up with a lot of bad money on the books. Prior to the trade deadline we had nearly 30M tied up in Miles, FVV and Powell. Three players who barely impact our ability to win games.
    I wonder how many other fans of how many other teams (20? 25?) would love to have a GM who "constantly seems to fuck up" like Masai does.

    Raptor fandom is special... or at least certain members of it.

    I guess if the Raptors make it to the NBA finals, and then lose, we can put it down to Masai constantly overpaying role players.

    And all this in the first year of the Raptors existence in which quality veterans are excited about coming to Toronto, are naming Toronto as a desired destination and are arranging waiver details so they can get there.

  21. #136
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3,436
    Likes (Given)
    48
    Likes (Received)
    473

    Default

    Quote Maury wrote: View Post
    The bigger contracts are also necessary for Masai to complete bigger trades. He needs to match salary with somewhat good value so all these young guys being slightly overpaid isn’t a terrible thing.
    What an indictment of the NBA. You need overpriced contract to make trades

  22. #137
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,133
    Likes (Given)
    623
    Likes (Received)
    907

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I wonder how many other fans of how many other teams (20? 25?) would love to have a GM who "constantly seems to fuck up" like Masai does.

    Raptor fandom is special... or at least certain members of it.

    I guess if the Raptors make it to the NBA finals, and then lose, we can put it down to Masai constantly overpaying role players.

    And all this in the first year of the Raptors existence in which quality veterans are excited about coming to Toronto, are naming Toronto as a desired destination and are arranging waiver details so they can get there.
    Oh come off it. I'm a huge Masai fan. I said "constantly seems to fuck up and overpay his role players" which he does and has done here and in Denver. It's one flaw out of a whole lot of good shit the guy does.

  23. #138
    Raptors Republic Superstar Raptor Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,773
    Likes (Given)
    663
    Likes (Received)
    321

    Default

    Quote G__Deane wrote: View Post
    What an indictment of the NBA. You need overpriced contract to make trades
    Unions. AMIRITE??!?!?

  24. #139
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,839
    Likes (Given)
    3896
    Likes (Received)
    1460

    Default

    Quote Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Oh come off it. I'm a huge Masai fan. I said "constantly seems to fuck up and overpay his role players" which he does and has done here and in Denver. It's one flaw out of a whole lot of good shit the guy does.
    Glad to hear it. I'll only note that it doesn't seem to have hurt the team too much. Or Masai is great at landing on his feet.

  25. #140
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,636
    Likes (Given)
    1039
    Likes (Received)
    3787

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I wonder how many other fans of how many other teams (20? 25?) would love to have a GM who "constantly seems to fuck up" like Masai does.

    Raptor fandom is special... or at least certain members of it.

    I guess if the Raptors make it to the NBA finals, and then lose, we can put it down to Masai constantly overpaying role players.

    And all this in the first year of the Raptors existence in which quality veterans are excited about coming to Toronto, are naming Toronto as a desired destination and are arranging waiver details so they can get there.
    C'mon, Puff. Questioning one's fandom on a fan board is like playing the race card. A bit too quick on the draw on this discussion as there was actually some useful insight that cropped up. No bigger fan of Masai on this board than yours truly, but even The Masaiah is not above criticism or at least some mild post-game analysis for some of the moves he's made. You took that to Defcon 5, lol.
    Last edited by golden; Tue Feb 12th, 2019 at 04:34 PM.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •