No announcement yet.

Chris bosh on Toronto & 2010 free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever I see a Chris Bosh/Toronto story two things pop into my mind.

First is: Why does Toronto care? Not everyone likes you Toronto. It's okay. You don't need constant emotional validation.

The second is: why is he still trying to constantly justify in the press his decision a decade ago? He left cause the organization wasn't run very well and he couldn't win here. End of story. All of this other bullshit (26 hours in customs!!!!) sounds to me like he has some regrets about how he made his decision and he's constantly trying to convince himself he did the right thing. Even this whole podcast: Bosh's decision had literally nothing to do with any 'player empowerment' movement. He was a free agent. He left. He wasn't any sort of trailblazer for anything.

I wonder if a part of Bosh looks at Derozan and even Lowry and sees how beloved they are in Toronto, and how they had more success there than him, and sees his own world where he is pretty much the forgotten third wheel of Lebron and Wade. That has to bother him.
    Last edited by slaw; Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Whenever I see a Chris Bosh/Toronto story two things pop into my mind.

First is: Why does Toronto care? Not everyone likes you Toronto. It's okay. You don't need constant emotional validation.

The second is: why is he still trying to constantly justify in the press his decision a decade ago? He left cause the organization wasn't run very well and he couldn't win here. End of story. All of this other bullshit (26 hours in customs!!!!) sounds to me like he has some regrets about how he made his decision and he's constantly trying to convince himself he did the right thing. Even this whole podcast: Bosh's decision had literally nothing to do with any 'player empowerment' movement. He was a free agent. He left. He wasn't any sort of trailblazer for anything.

I wonder if a part of Bosh looks at Derozan and even Lowry and sees how beloved they are in Toronto, and how they had more success there than him, and sees his own world where he is pretty much the forgotten third way of Lebron and Wade. That has to bother him.
      It is kind of a relevant topic, with Simmons trying to draw parallels between Bosh's Raptor free agency with Anthony Davis, but they missed the real story. The linkage is clear: Lebron tampering with an all-star free agent PF scheming to team up in warm destination. Bosh pretty much confirmed that, without saying it directly and was apparently the hush-hush reason why we got our first round pick back from Miami as compensation. Lebron's scheming was covert back in 2010, but he's gotten bolder, smarter and more powerful as the years have gone by... aka Player Empowerment.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        It is kind of a relevant topic, with Simmons trying to draw parallels between Bosh's Raptor free agency with Anthony Davis, but they missed the real story. The linkage is clear: Lebron tampering with an all-star free agent PF scheming to team up in warm destination. Bosh pretty much confirmed that, without saying it directly and was apparently the hush-hush reason why we got our first round pick back from Miami as compensation. Lebron's scheming was covert back in 2010, but he's gotten bolder, smarter and more powerful as the years have gone by... aka Player Empowerment.
        hmm never made the the Lebron tampering connection in 2010 connection and whats going on now with Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving.

Adam Silver has to show some testicular fortitude here and not let Lebron/Klutch sports walk all over the league. But maaan the next CBA negotiations are gonna be insane
        "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Comment

It's a fuzzy grey area between "lebron is tampering" and "stars want to play with lebron"...I mean his teams always go to the finals and hes arguably the best around at making others better...its tough to pin point fault in players being attracted to his team
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Chris Bosh confirmed on Bill Simmons’ podcast that he'll no longer pursue an NBA comeback. Heat will lock in the last of their insurance payout at the end of this season, though they’ll keep paying him a gross amount of $434,393 twice a month until Nov. 1, 2022.
            Wow. Damn he can buy an Aventador Lambo every month til 2022 and still money for maintenance and gas

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              It's a fuzzy grey area between "lebron is tampering" and "stars want to play with lebron"...I mean his teams always go to the finals and hes arguably the best around at making others better...its tough to pin point fault in players being attracted to his team
              The players wanting to play with him has never been the issue. They're free to go wherever they want to in FA.

It's the colluding ahead of time, the public statements while they're still under contract to another team, players pretty much demanding to be traded with a year and a half on their deals. I respected him more going back to Cleveland than I ever did in going to Miami. lebron is now a douche to all small market teams particularly.

Comment

buckets wrote: View Post
                hmm never made the the Lebron tampering connection in 2010 connection and whats going on now with Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving.

Adam Silver has to show some testicular fortitude here and not let Lebron/Klutch sports walk all over the league. But maaan the next CBA negotiations are gonna be insane
                Hes not going to do anything because its Lebron's league for the next 3 years. Next CBA negotiations is going to be where the players show what they're made of. The NBA has never been richer and popular than now. Players are about to hit the jackpot, where yearly salaries are insane.

Comment

Honestly a lot of Bosh's Toronto comments in that pod had more to do with the fact that the Raptors were trying to build a team around Chris Bosh than the Raptors organization/legacy/Toronto. Yes, John Salmons wouldn't even play in Toronto - while Bosh was here. Much better players than John Salmons have been happy to play here in other Raptors eras. I'm a bit surprised Bosh didn't take that more personally instead of just blaming the city.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Honestly a lot of Bosh's Toronto comments in that pod had more to do with the fact that the Raptors were trying to build a team around Chris Bosh than the Raptors organization/legacy/Toronto. Yes, John Salmons wouldn't even play in Toronto - while Bosh was here. Much better players than John Salmons have been happy to play here in other Raptors eras. I'm a bit surprised Bosh didn't take that more personally instead of just blaming the city.
                    That's because he was a star, without the 'super' or the capital S, similar to a Lamarcus Aldridge. Would you trip over yourself to join Lamarcus Aldridge on a .500 team where it is cold and they've never really won much?

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      That was Bosh's point, though. Toronto's only options to get better players here is by internal development or trade. The top FAs won't sign here. His example was that Colangelo couldn't even recruit a free agent as lowly as John freakin' Salmons to play in Toronto. He never says the word "lowly", but you could just hear the smirk when Bosh mentions "Johnny" Salmons name. lol. He was right.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        That was Bosh's point, though. Toronto's only options to get better players here is by internal development or trade. The top FAs won't sign here. His example was that Colangelo couldn't even recruit a free agent as lowly as John freakin' Salmons to play in Toronto. He never says the word "lowly", but you could just hear the smirk when Bosh mentions "Johnny" Salmons name. lol. He was right.
                        I heard him, my point was during Bosh's tenure this had at least as much to do with the fact that the question was "Hey, who wants to sign up to play sidekick to Chris Bosh?" as it was "Hey, who wants to play basketball in Toronto?"

Do FA's not want to play in Toronto or have FA's not wanted to sign for the Raptors because, until the current streak of success, the Raptors as a franchise were one of the worst in the NBA? And almost never had a GM clear space to sign max FA's?

Cuban has been chasing FA's in Dallas for years, since he took apart his title team, and been stood up a number of times. He's ended up with his versions of Hedo Turkoglu in Harrison Barnes and Chandler Parsons. He's finally going to turn that team around through...wait for it...the draft and trades.

I don't think Toronto's in that unique of a situation. No, it's not NY or LA which guys are going to consider just because of the city - but neither are the majority of other franchises in the league. And Toronto hasn't had a Lebron or Curry level star, ever, that automatically draws guys because they know they have a title shot there.

If Kawhi re-signs, I'm curious what'll happen when Masai's cap space opens up. The Raptors have never been in a position, ever, that Masai has set himself up for - "We have Finals calibre talent, a top 5 player, and max contract cap space. How about Toronto!?"

Raps have never in their history been in the position to make that pitch. I think the FA failure rate is a bit overblown, Toronto's not quite as special as we'd like it to be.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

People from Toronto tend to think Toronto is a lot like New York or LA when it reality it doesnt compare. Toronto does compare to cities like Chicago, houston, Dallas, DC, philly...but nobody wants to go to those places when they suck, either

Comment

I have no issue with Bosh leaving, it was a smart decision on his part. But all those fake ass reasons he gives to justify the move...like shit, customs...he talkin about customs. GTFO with that stuff. No ESPN and shit...if those are actual reasons that contributed to his departure, than diva is the proper term for him. And it would of been nice of him to inform management he had no intentions of resigning, if he had made that decision prior to free agency, which by all accounts he did. He played out his term and honoured his contract, which is solid, and better than demanding a trade in the way that AD did. BTW, demanding a trade and informing your team you will not resign with them is two very different things. AD could have just said he had no intentions of resigning and then let the Pelicans do with that what they wanted. They could choose to hold on to him or trade him if they wanted. And then he went and made it even worse by suggesting he would only resign with the Lakers, and then later expanded the list to include a couple of other teams. Way to screw your current team your under contract with...and why...to do a favour to the management of teams he could have been traded to (but did not want to be on)? Maybe the Pelicans could have done more to keep him (i believe this to be so), but clearly AD is trying to call the shots there and is under the influence of LBJ. Fuck that IMO, he signed a contract with that team, honour it, and if he wants to move he could have quietly let management know that and let them do with his contract what they think is best for their franchise.

Also, if players want more control over where and when they get to play, stop signing 4-5 year contracts. Do the 1-2 year gigs and figure it out that way.
                            Last edited by JawsGT; Wed Feb 13, 2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              I have no issue with Bosh leaving, it was a smart decision on his part. But all those fake ass reasons he gives to justify the move...like shit, customs...he talkin about customs. GTFO with that stuff. No ESPN and shit...if those are actual reasons that contributed to his departure, than diva is the proper term for him. And it would of been nice of him to inform management he had no intentions of resigning, if he had made that decision prior to free agency, which by all accounts he did. He played out his term and honoured his contract, which is solid, and better than demanding a trade in the way that AD did. BTW, demanding a trade and informing your team you will not resign with them is two very different things. AD could have just said he had no intentions of resigning and then let the Pelicans do with that what they wanted. They could choose to hold on to him or trade him if they wanted. And then he went and made it even worse by suggesting he would only resign with the Lakers, and then later expanded the list to include a couple of other teams. Way to screw your current team your under contract with...and why...to do a favour to the management of teams he could have been traded to (but did not want to be on)? Maybe the Pelicans could have done more to keep him (i believe this to be so), but clearly AD is trying to call the shots there and is under the influence of LBJ. Fuck that IMO, he signed a contract with that team, honour it, and if he wants to move he could have quietly let management know that and let them do with his contract what they think is best for their franchise.

Also, if players want more control over where and when they get to play, stop signing 4-5 year contracts. Do the 1-2 year gigs and figure it out that way.
                              This is the best answer to the threads original question and it took 3 pages

Comment

lmao
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X