Spurs @ Raps, 2/22/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth Teller wrote: View Post
    Hes shooting worse and worse from 3. I think ever since he got jacked, hes been shooting way worse than he did a few years back.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...antetgi01.html
    Yeah, I wonder. People keep talking about how Pascal needs to put on weight. I wonder about that too. Whether that would endanger any of his lightning quick speed or ability to pop the corner 3...

Maybe I just have flashes of JV being forced to bulk up and start to panic.

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
      Yeah, I wonder. People keep talking about how Pascal needs to put on weight. I wonder about that too. Whether that would endanger any of his lightning quick speed or ability to pop the corner 3...

I envision Bargs everytime someone said a C needs to get bigger. CB4 to some extent - he was so quick as a rookie.

Comment

spicy_d wrote: View Post
        I'm not talking about other teams...don't change the subject...you countered by saying ...
        "We don't win games by 38 anymore because when we're up 25ish at the end of the 3rd and the game is basically in the fold, we bring out the 3rd stringers (garbage time) so the our main guys can rest and lower the chances of getting hurt. This is actually what every team expecting to have a deep playoff run should do. "

well ....correct me if I'm wrong but when was the last time 25ish at the end of the 3rd and then bring in our players to play garbage minutes.? it's been awhile since we've been up significantly in the third quarter on a consistent basis .....from my recollection..it hasnt happened in awhile ...that's all I was saying ...and why it hasn't happened in awhile ? because lately they've been squeaking by....whether that's a bad sign for them for the playoffs is speculative...I'm just stating what I've observed to be correct ...that is all
        The Raptors per game +/- over the past 6 games is +10.6. Over the course of the season, that would be #1 in the NBA. I'm not sure "squeaking by" is the problem you think it is.

Was a 29 point win less than a month ago too long to count in this conversation? 18 point wins in the last couple weeks too small? What exactly is the benchmark needed for a 2019 Raptors fan to not be worried about facing Orlando or Detroit in the first round?
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Blowouts are over rated anyways. IMO, they are usually a result of the losing team playing half-assed defence. Occasionally, thats not the case and a team might get overwhelmed by an opponents crazy 3pt shooting, but more often than not one team just doens't show up to play.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            What is going on in Orlando? They're steamrolling everybody

Last 5 games:
            Beat wolves by 10
            Beat bucks by 20 (on the road!)
            Beat hawks by 16
            Beat pels by 30
            Up 35 on Hornets at the half
            They are young, and play hard on defense. Still at least one really good player or a couple of good players away from being a threat to anyone at the top of the east.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
              We don't win games by 38 anymore because when we're up 25ish at the end of the 3rd and the game is basically in the fold, we bring out the 3rd stringers (garbage time) so the our main guys can rest and lower the chances of getting hurt. This is actually what every team expecting to have a deep playoff run should do.

There is just one game we won by 38+ this season: Nov 17 vs the Bulls. We tried not to beat them so badly and rest our main guys by running a fair chunk of Zo Brown, Richardson, Loyd and Monroe. The "problem" is the Bulls were so bad, that these 4 guys who typically don't score much, still combined for 34 points. So we "unintentionally" blew them out anyway.
              I'm not sure what games you're watching so I'll change the question. How manyh games in the last 20 have we been "up 25ish at the end of the3rd"? I think the facts show the Raps are in far too many tight games late. We don't have too many guys going off for 40+ (thanks Spicy P) and we don't blow out too many teams.

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I was just watchging highlights of the AS games from the 80's
                Man, just about everyone is Boucher skinny, you forget what a rake Jordan once was lol

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  Blowouts are over rated anyways. IMO, they are usually a result of the losing team playing half-assed defence. Occasionally, thats not the case and a team might get overwhelmed by an opponents crazy 3pt shooting, but more often than not one team just doens't show up to play.
                  Last night Charlotte put up 30 3's and hit 4. Putting up that many and hitting that few is only the 10th time in the past 10 years by any team.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Anthony Davis left the game with an injured shoulder as Pelicans beat Thunder last night. Can you imagine if we got him and he got injured for the season?

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
                      I'm not sure what games you're watching so I'll change the question. How manyh games in the last 20 have we been "up 25ish at the end of the3rd"? I think the facts show the Raps are in far too many tight games late. We don't have too many guys going off for 40+ (thanks Spicy P) and we don't blow out too many teams.
                      spicy_d wrote: View Post
                      I'm not talking about other teams...don't change the subject...you countered by saying ...
                      "We don't win games by 38 anymore because when we're up 25ish at the end of the 3rd and the game is basically in the fold, we bring out the 3rd stringers (garbage time) so the our main guys can rest and lower the chances of getting hurt. This is actually what every team expecting to have a deep playoff run should do. "

well ....correct me if I'm wrong but when was the last time 25ish at the end of the 3rd and then bring in our players to play garbage minutes.? it's been awhile since we've been up significantly in the third quarter on a consistent basis .....from my recollection..it hasnt happened in awhile ...that's all I was saying ...and why it hasn't happened in awhile ? because lately they've been squeaking by....whether that's a bad sign for them for the playoffs is speculative...I'm just stating what I've observed to be correct ...that is all
                      25 at the end of the 3rd is just a rhetorical (kinda hyperbolic) expression just to illustrate being in control of the game at the 3rd to the point of not having to worry about overtaxing you starters just for the sake of winning by a big margin. That happened frequently this season (being in control of the game, or making a come back at the right time). If we were just "squeaking by" we wouldn't have the 2nd best record in the league like we do. Saying that this is also happening to other top teams is not "changing the subject", it's relevant because it puts into context that this doesn't need to happen frequently in order for the team to be at the top.

As pointed out already here by S.R., over the past 6 games the margin has been +10.6, which over the season would the largest on the league. No team has "too many guys going off for 40+". The whole point here is that the team has been winning games, including close/clutch/OT games that we always used to lose, which are actually the more common situation in the playoffs. They did that despite all the injuries, and that is far more important than a blowout win against charlotte here and there. So yes, you are right that we haven't been blowing out teams, but it's also true that this is of little importance compared to being healthy and having the second best record in the league.
                      Last edited by inthepaint; Fri Feb 15, 2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        Exactly. The other thing too is that bad teams (even the teams that are flat-out tanking and trying to lose), usually will put their best effort against top-end teams because that's their chance to showcase their guys and get the confidence that they can grow & put up a fight if they try. That's part of the reason the Nuggets, Warriors, Raptors & Bucks all have only 1 game so far this season where they won by over 38. They'll always get people's best punch.

Comment

Add to the fact that teams shoot 30 threes a game, if they somehow hit 40%, they are in games.

Comment

RR Doc's feel free to rip and correct me if I'm wrong, but when NBA teams tell players to hit the gym and bulk up it has much to do with recovery and maintenance. The NBA season is a marathon and you'd lose size if you didn't lift continuously throughout the season. And are more likely to get banged up. The added strength and muscle is as much defense against the rigors of the season as offense and ability to use in it.

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Remember this kawhi: play in LA and they never. ever. shut. the. fuck. up. about you
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X