Nets Interested in Smith for Assistant Gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nets Interested in Smith for Assistant Gig

Hmmm ..... I guess easing himself back in the league as an assistant isn't bad. He'll definitely show those young fellas in NJ some tough love.

Mitchell, though, is in the mix for a new job. NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com that Mitchell will be interviewed this week by the Nets as a potential top assistant to new coach Avery Johnson, who wants at least one former head coach on the bench with him in New Jersey.

After winning NBA Coach of the Year honors in 2006-07 and signing a four-year contract extension, Mitchell lasted only one more full season with the Raps before his dismissal in Toronto in December 2008. But he recently told the Toronto Sun that he accepts the notion that he’ll probably have to work as an assistant coach first before getting his next opportunity as a head coach … even though no one has really told him why.

“Being an assistant would be fine,” Mitchell told the newspaper. “But I want to make sure it’s in a good place -- a team that not only has a chance to win, but to be with someone who brings something different to me, where I can actually learn something. I’m still a young coach. I still have a lot of things to learn.”
    Source - Click here

typo in the title. i figure you mean't sam but for a minute i was trying to figure out who smith is.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Haha my first thought was, "Wait what? Someone offered Doug Smith a coaching gig?" :P

Good for Sam though, I didn't think he deserved to be fired. But I do agree with him that he's got a lot more to learn and being an assistant (again) for now wouldn't be so bad. And perhaps some tough lovin' is just what the Nets need.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
        Haha my first thought was, "Wait what? Someone offered Doug Smith a coaching gig?" :P

Good for Sam though, I didn't think he deserved to be fired. But I do agree with him that he's got a lot more to learn and being an assistant (again) for now wouldn't be so bad. And perhaps some tough lovin' is just what the Nets need.
        same and then i thought steve smith from nba tv.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Doc meant "Smitch".

Comment

Dont know about being an asst. to Avery J. as H/c. They are both screamers unless one changes. Wouldnt you need a good cop bad cop setup ? Just saying.

Comment

Working...
            X