Jose's Either Hurt or Not Very Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose's Either Hurt or Not Very Good

Heeeeere we go again. Let the excuses begin for Jose again. Remember last season folks? Raptors fans biggest defense mechanism for why Calderon struggled as much as he did was because of his injured hamstring. So now with the world to see on Wednesday night after his worst game of the season Jose's hamstring is conveniently bothering him once again. Or at least that was the message he was going for when they slapped ice on it while on the bench.

Am I being overly critical or are there people that agree with me in that Jose just isn't as good as he advertised a couple years back when he beat out Ford to take the starting PG spot? Or was T.J. just that bad during his time in Toronto?

Turkoglu hasn't been as effective as advertised, for one, and neither has Jose Calderon, who was seen applying a wrap to his right hamstring after a six-turnover debacle in Wednesday's drubbing. Calderon repeatedly has claimed good health this season, but it's important to remember that the Raptors, and NBA teams in general, are often not transparent in their public disclosure of ailments. It was only in October's training camp that Calderon acknowledged the full extent of last year's injury – a six-centimetre tear in his right hamstring. Before that, he'd claimed he was physically "fine," this even when the numbers suggested he clearly was hurting.

This year, the Spaniard is either hurt or not very good.

Calderon's player efficiency rating (PER) is only slightly better than that of the average NBA player's thus far. The league average of the all-encompassing stat devised by ESPN.com's John Hollinger – which, though it's not perfect, is the best measure yet devised of a player's per-minute effectiveness – is 15. Calderon was riding at about 17.3 as of Monday.

The problem is, when Calderon is on the floor, the opposing point guard is putting up a PER of 23.7, according to 82games.com. For an example of an NBA point guard achieving a PER in the neighbourhood of 23.7, think Steve Nash, who the Raptors will see on Sunday when the resurgent Phoenix Suns come to town.

In other words, Calderon is such a non-factor on defence he is making all of his opponents look like Nash.
    Source - Click here

Whether he's hurt or just plain sucks, we need him to step-up if we're to be successful.
    RR OG

Comment

A lot of that opposing PER is down to team defense.

Put him on a good defensive team and Jose would be giving up 17-18 in opposing PER.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
        A lot of that opposing PER is down to team defense.

Put him on a good defensive team and Jose would be giving up 17-18 in opposing PER.
        True, using opposing PER to conclude anything is just as stupid as using opposing +/- to do the same.

Comment

I guess the best solution would be to check everyones opp/PER and see whos fluctuates more. Or just watch a game

Comment

Its Destiny

I dont really rely to much on statistics because there are things that dont appear on the page. However, I do watch games and I do feel like I have seen Steve Nash 17 times instead of 1. For those that dont know about my "No Way Jose Movement" its to make him a 6th man again. Some people are destined to be things no matter how hard they fight it. Its the best thing for the team especially if he is hurt. Join my movement who is in?

Comment

2mrw2day wrote: View Post
              I dont really rely to much on statistics because there are things that dont appear on the page. However, I do watch games and I do feel like I have seen Steve Nash 17 times instead of 1. For those that dont know about my "No Way Jose Movement" its to make him a 6th man again. Some people are destined to be things no matter how hard they fight it. Its the best thing for the team especially if he is hurt. Join my movement who is in?
              I can't join your "No Way Jose Movement", but if you did a "No Way Andrea Movement" I'd ask to be the chairman of the board of that committee.

Comment

Working...
              X