Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think Amir Will Start for the Raptors Next Season? Why or Why Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Think Amir Will Start for the Raptors Next Season? Why or Why Not?

With Amir Johnson getting a long term contract from the Raptors(the salary figures were more than what I expected), it is safe to say that he will play a big role next year regardless of whether Bosh comes back or not. My question is this: Is it better off to start Amir along with Bargnani? or should he come off the bench like last year? Looking forward to hearing from you!

1. It depends what other transactions the Raptors make before the season opens.
    2. As the roster is now constructed assuming Bosh is gone without replacement I think Triano will give Johnson the chance to start. Where it would go from there is anyone's guess.

I do not think Davis or Evans would start ahead of Johnson unless he really screws up his chance to start that Triano would give him.

However, I am not convinced that the Raptors will not work to acquire a more experienced big who has been a successful NBA starter and thus keeping Johnson coming off of the bench.

It will be interesting to see how it goes down if the Raptors could get someone like even Taj Gibson from Chicago in a Bosh S&T or wind up stuck with Beasley from the Heat.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

honestly think we should have waited till after the bosh situation was resolved before we negotiated with amir because if we end up with taj gibson then this was a dumb signing even though I still think amir is a bit better right now and younger gibson comes at a much lower price for close to the same production

Comment

he proved he could be a solid guy last year and that earned him the contract.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Ed Davis could end up starting just to ensure he gets his 12-15mpg to help his development (much like Derozan last year) while Amir would still log the majority of the minutes at the 4 spot.

Comment

Its too early to make out the starting roster, If expectations are low i see Davis and Johnson alternating in the beginning just to figure who makes the most of those minutes and then closer to January a clear cut starter would be determined. If expectations are high as in a better PF/C comes in then its just a battle for who comes off the bench first, should be an interesting year for sure.

Comment

At this point, I think starting Johnson would be a good idea, with Davis coming off the bench at the 4 or 5. I don't know if Triano will do that, though, as he seems to really like Amir's energy coming off the bench, which I can understand. Really, it doesn't matter, as Amir's going to probably average about 25-30 mpg either way, unless the Raptors get another big man.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

FromTOtoVAN wrote: View Post
                honestly think we should have waited till after the bosh situation was resolved before we negotiated with amir because if we end up with taj gibson then this was a dumb signing even though I still think amir is a bit better right now and younger gibson comes at a much lower price for close to the same production
                And what if Amir decides he wants to sign with someone else before then? Sometimes life doesn't wait for you when you want it to. FUnny how that works, isn't it?

And if Bosh doesn't sign with Chicago, and signs with Miami instead, Toronto might discover they have to overpay someone who might not be as effective as Johnson is just so they have enough big men.

Johnson is a good young player who brings to the table everything the Raptors want, he's a hard worker and a good teammate. Why the hell not sign him and get it over with?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Given that they just vastly overpaid a role player, they pretty much have to give him starter minutes.

One day the Raps will stop giving starter money to bench guys. That day will be the day the NBA stops playing.
                  You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Right now Amir is best suited to be our first big off the bench. The Raps have a long history of asking too much of role players, see Bonner and Mason Jr. They expected too much of these guys and when they didn't deliver, they shipped them out to a team who knew how to use them in a system that would work and allow them to be successsful impact players.

Comment

I would hope that he starts because that's the only way he's gonna fully live up to his potential, we don't have any other bigs right now that would start over him so my answer would be yes.

Comment

Right now Amir is best suited to be our first big off the bench. The Raps have a long history of asking too much of role players, see Bonner and Mason Jr. They expected too much of these guys and when they didn't deliver, they shipped them out to a team who knew how to use them in a system that would work and allow them to be successsful impact players.

Really? Matt can't jump over a quarter Bonner? and Roger took 6 years and Pop to find his shot Mason Jr?? Ur really comparing Amir to them? This a totally different type of talent that we're working with.

Comment

Do you think Amir would start for the Raptors next season? Why or why not?
                          With Amir Johnson getting a long term contract from the Raptors(the salary figures were more than what I expected), it is safe to say that he will play a big role next year regardless of whether Bosh comes back or not. My question is this: Is it better off to start Amir along with Bargnani? or should he come off the bench like last year? Looking forward to hearing from you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we stop saying "whether Bosh is coming back or not". He's not coming back.

Comment

I think what they should do is wait till training camp, call Amir and Davis into a room and tell them they are competing for the starting job throughout camp and that they will split their minutes throughout the year based on their performances. Tell them they are both guaranteed at least 15-20 minutes a game and they have to earn the rest. I think that is the way to keep both of them engaged all season and avoid anyone getting a sense of entitlement.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

why doesnt BC get it we need a center so we can move bargs to the PF spot
                              ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                              X