Raptors Apparently Interested in Steve Blake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Apparently Interested in Steve Blake

Hmmm .... if this is true, that would only mean that the likelihood of a Jose-Jack backcourt is almost officially "ovah".

Anyhow, I've always loved Blake ever since days back at Maryland as a Terrapin. A gritty player, decent defender with a pass first mentality. I like the possibility alot.

Sources say Blake, who averaged 7.3 points and 4.8 assists in 80 games last season with Portland and then with Clippers, is drawing the strongest interest from Orlando, New York and Toronto, with the Lakers and the Bobcats also being in the mix.

With that in mind, Blake, 30, is said to be able to command a contract around the $4.93 million he made last season, something that might not be possible if it were a stronger point-guard class.

While the Knicks are still waiting to see if they can get LeBron James, sources said the Raptors also are in a holding pattern. They have a pair of point guards in Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack they're looking to trade.

Jack would be the preference to move since he was a disaster after being signed last summer primarily because he had played at Georgia Tech with Chris Bosh, whom the Raptors were trying to keep happy. But the Raptors certainly wouldn't complain about moving Calderon, who slumped badly last season.

If a sign-and-trade could be worked out for the departure of free-agent Bosh, the Raptors might look to try to have the team getting Bosh also take Calderon or Jack in the deal. Then Toronto would have more interest in signing a point guard such as Blake.
    Source - Click here

Steve Blake is better than both Jose and Jack in my mind. I like the idea of bringing him in. Blake is underrated.

Comment

How can they say the Jack signing was a disaster? That's an absolutely ridiculous statement for anyone to say. Didn't he average something close to 14 and 6 as a starter? Not to mention he was the only thing on last years teams that resembled a leader.

I'd take a backcourt of Jack and Blake, but it wouldn't necessarily be a better tandem tha Jose/Jack. You get more D out of Blake but more O out of Jose. The only bonus is that Steve Blake is almost half as cheap.

Comment

Was Jack really a disaster?
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Most people in the media by season end have said Jack is a high value signing.

Comment

Jack was not a disaster and was one of a few players that actually looked like he cared, he probably took it upon himself too many times to make something happen, but not a disaster.
            Also, don't underestimate Blake's offense , he can nail that jumper and will penetrate and dish, very underrated and imo an overall upgrade from Jose.

Comment

Yeah, maybe this guy thinks showing up in the off-season voluntarily to work with the young prospects is the sign of a disaster signing? I mean what kind of person does that, genuinely cares about his young teammates?

Comment

I saw Blake play a lot for the Clippers last season and a lot at Portland. He plays very hard but can't carry the sneakers of either Jack or Calderon. Replacing either Jack or Calderon with Blake would be a major regression of epic proportions greater than the roar of Niagara Falls.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Most people in the media by season end have said Jack is a high value signing.
                  jack was a really good signing by BC the guy who wrote that is stupid
                  ya dun noe

Comment

Another side note,
                    Didn't Jack used to play in Portland with Blake? or did Blake join Portland AFTER Jack left?

Comment

The claims of Jack being a disaster are just as frivolous as the claims of that website to actually have legitimate sources regarding the Raptors interest in Steve Blake.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Steve Blake is better than both Jose and Jack in my mind. I like the idea of bringing him in. Blake is underrated.
                        Blake is actually underrated and plays decent defense. i can`t blame c
                        Colangelo for being interested in him.

Comment

Jack was a disaster?

Im ready to go off on this guy.

He was the only leader on this team.

What he may lack in some skills, he makes up for with heart and character.

Wish we had more "disasters" like that.

Stupid f*ck.

Comment

T-SHI wrote: View Post
                            Another side note,
                            Didn't Jack used to play in Portland with Blake? or did Blake join Portland AFTER Jack left?
                            Yes, they played together for a year.

Comment

If we do go after Blake, I hope he plays more like his Portland days than his Clippers days. Over the last two seasons with the Blazers, team defense improved a smidge with him on the floor, but when he was with the Clippers, he was a huge net (less team offense, much worse team defense).

http://www.82games.com/0910/09LAC1.HTM#onoff

Either way, he's really more of a backup PG at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X