According to MSNBC the Raptors Are "Very Interested" in Barbosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to MSNBC the Raptors Are "Very Interested" in Barbosa

Here's a name that we haven't heard in a long time now, Leandro Barbosa.

The Suns are actively shopping Leandro Barbosa, and the Celtics and Raptors are said to be very interested.

Barbosa is a speedy scorer who has shown flashes of brilliance in his career, but the Suns might be ready to commit to Goran Dragic at backup PG. They also have Jason Richardson at SG and likely don't want to pay his backup $14.6 million over the next two seasons.
    Source - Click here

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Explosive guard who can get you 15 a night isn't a bad thing. If it's for Jose or Banks(expiring for Phoenix) + whoever I do it.

Comment

agreed realist!!!! It all depends on the asking price...if it is for an expiring contract (banks or Evans) I am all for it.....If they ask for DD then no thank you....

Comment

Not to mention someone who can push the ball for the young guns would be a real good thing as well... With Bosh most likely not coming back and us possibly not doing a side and trade...Getting Barbosa would be a good fit IMO

Comment

how's his defence?
            ya dun noe

Comment

Not stellar, but quick and with quick hands and probably would be the best defender among the Raptors guards right now, excepting maybe Banks.

I'd do a Calderon + Banks or Evans trade for Barbosa yesterday. Calderon's a better shooter and passer, but Barbosa is a better slasher, defender and rebounder and has less years on his contract.

Though if Phoenix is serious about shedding salary, they won't want Calderon's salary in return, especially since they already have Nash and Dragic. Also, no way they take on Turk.

Barbosa + filler for Evans and Banks??? Depends on the level of desperation, I guess, but the Suns could surely get a better deal than that.
              Last edited by DonCarlos; Sun Jul 4, 2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                how's his defence?
                Better than Jose's lol. The above assessment pretty much nails it. Barbosa isn't great defensively, but his speed makes up for mistakes. When someone blows by Jose the plays done, with Barbosa he goes step for step.

Comment

Barbosa's not a PG. Why do you guys always want to jump on these undersized shooting guards? It boggles my mind. Yes, he's quick, yes, he can score. But he's not a PG. You don't want him starting, and last time I checked, the Raptors are fine at backup PG.

Enough with these half-assed "solutions" that don't actually solve any problems. Just because a guy is available doesn't mean the Raptors should suddenly look at him.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Made an account just to post in this thread, lol. I've read this site quite a bit, just never bothered to make an account.

Steve Nash (and therefore Suns fan by default) and Raptors fan. Barbosa is a salary dump. Why the hell would the Suns want any of the Raptors' backup guards if they don't have minutes anymore for their former sixth man? Taking Calderon back would be a joke. Banks might crack the rotation as defensive guard, as second guard off the bench. Evans might crack the rotation as the second big off the bench.

I don't even think the Raptors need him. Like Tim says, the Raptors have backup PG filled and he's slightly undersized at the 2. He's a solid scorer and is an average defender. So he helps shore up where they're already mediocre.

Just saying.

Comment

Could be a good combo-guard for us with his ability to push the ball and create a few plays. I'd actually love to see how he fits on either Boston or Toronto.

Off-topic: Did anyone else think Marcus Banks played pretty well as a back-up for Jack when Calderon was out? I thought he was good defensivly and had some sparks on offense.

Comment

Also registered just to reply to this thread. I think Barbosa might be worth a shot, only if:
                        1. We trade either Calderon or Jack in the deal, or in another deal
                        2. We end up keeping Hedo.

If these things happen, you can start Barbosa at PG, have Hedo run the offense, and have either Jack or Calderon with the 2nd squad, where they are arguably most effective. It may be a long shot, and he may not work out. We wouldn't have to live with it for long, though, with his 2 year deal. If we keep Hedo, we don't need a traditional PG. We need someone to defend the position, and the "Blur" is arguably a better defender than either Jack or Jose.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                          how's his defence?
                          he's noit lazy. let's put it that way.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            Barbosa's not a PG. Why do you guys always want to jump on these undersized shooting guards? It boggles my mind. Yes, he's quick, yes, he can score. But he's not a PG. You don't want him starting, and last time I checked, the Raptors are fine at backup PG.

Enough with these half-assed "solutions" that don't actually solve any problems. Just because a guy is available doesn't mean the Raptors should suddenly look at him.
                            Barbosa CAN play backup PG, especially with someone like Turk on the floor. What I'm saying is that if we can somehow turn Calderon into Barbosa, it should be done, if only for the durations of the contracts involved. While Calderon > Barbosa, paying Barbosa for 2 years > paying Calderon for 4.

Comment

Unless a third team involved, I don't see why a team with Steve Nash and Goran Dragic want any part of Calderon, even without his shitty contract.

Comment

Working...
                              X