Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who'll Wear the Biggest Target This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who'll Wear the Biggest Target This Year?

Doug discusses what many have since Bosh's departure ..... that being who will wear the biggest target on this team this season. I think the general consensus here would agree that this is Bargnani's team now. That being said, pressure is at an all time high right now for Andrea. Now all we can do is sit, wait and see if he's up to the task of taking this team on his shoulders moving forward.

Got to wondering the other day – in response to a series of questions on the topic – on who bears the most pressure or responsibility for whatever is going to transpire this season with the local Heroes Of The Hardcourt.

And while you know I don’t entirely like to single out one or two guys because it’s truly a team game, I guess I should.

I would say the guy we’re going to find out the most about would be Andrea Bargnani, who will no longer have the security blanket – or Albatross, depending on your view – of Chris Bosh around.

There have been moments when the big kid has looked extremely good and quite comfortable but that’s always been a decided second banana. Teams always game-planned for Bosh first and foremost; that’s not going to happen this year and if Bargnani doesn’t step up his game – at both ends of the floor – this is going to be one hellaciously long season, I fear.

Can he?

Well, it’s funny. There have always been snippets of, I don’t know, ego might be the right word, in Bargnani’s personality. There’ve been moments when you felt he felt he might be being under-utilized and that he’d relish an increased role. Nothing to outward, just a look, maybe a quick comment, stuff like that.

So maybe he can. He better for their sake because they need him to be very good.

We’ll go over some others as the rest of this week unfolds but I’d put Bargnani as the guy with the biggest target on his back right now.
    Source - Doug Smith's Raptors Blog

He is going to choke this season.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
      He is going to choke this season.
      You have such a wonderful outlook.

Thanks for sharing your positive thoughts
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        You have such a wonderful outlook.

Thanks for sharing your positive thoughts
        Your welcome

Comment

Without a doubt people will look to bargs to step up and make it 'his' team. He is a B.C. drafted player and of course he will be viewed as the go-to-guy. Is he that guy? Not By a long shot! However, I think the YGZ will step up. I predict Sonny/Demar playing side by side by December. It will be a great lethal combo, B.C. is going to have to accept defeat and trade Bargs for what he can get I think.

Comment

Bargnani!!! :d:d

Comment

New to the Republic but old Raptor's fan, season tickets for years and coached and played the game when a bunch of you weren't born yet. Living on the wet coast where the raptors are coming to get away from all the negative vibes. If you haven't read it yet you should read Bill Simmons' (the Sports Guy) book on the NBA. You'll have a good understanding of the secret - why Mr. Thomas could win as a player but not as a GM and why to date the Raptors haven't got beyond round 2. Making this any one guy's team ain't the answer and putting the pressure on this early ain't gonna help. Look forward to getting riled and riling with all the rest of you.

Comment

raivhen wrote: View Post
                New to the Republic but old Raptor's fan, season tickets for years and coached and played the game when a bunch of you weren't born yet. Living on the wet coast where the raptors are coming to get away from all the negative vibes. If you haven't read it yet you should read Bill Simmons' (the Sports Guy) book on the NBA. You'll have a good understanding of the secret - why Mr. Thomas could win as a player but not as a GM and why to date the Raptors haven't got beyond round 2. Making this any one guy's team ain't the answer and putting the pressure on this early ain't gonna help. Look forward to getting riled and riling with all the rest of you.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think that Jack, Bargnani and Amir will not meet expectations.

I think Derozan, Weems, Keliza will meet or exceed expectations (I omitted Davis out of the list due to his injury)

the rest will either be the same or dissapoint as usual.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    I think that Jack, Bargnani and Amir will not meet expectations.

I think Derozan, Weems, Keliza will meet or exceed expectations (I omitted Davis out of the list due to his injury)

the rest will either be the same or dissapoint as usual.
                    What are the expectations?

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
                      What are the expectations?
                      Jack: To properly run the offence and create for others.
                      Amir: To play 30+ minutes, and play with the same energy as last season.
                      Bargnani: To score 20+ points and get 8+ rebounds, improved help defence.
                      DeRozan: Expand his offencive game (jump-shot) and grow defencivly. 15+ points.
                      Sonny: Repeat last seasons with better ball-handling. 10 points (?)
                      Kleiza: Show the skills he showed in the Olympics. (Scoring, rebounding, toughness)

I think those are what we should expect as fans.

And I'd have to agree the first 3 will probably fail. Last 3 will probably meet expectations. I think Kleiza has a chance to exceed expectations, if given the chance.

Comment

Bargnani. It's his time to show and prove- point blank.

It should be BC aka Bull Chit, Gherardini aka Mr Magoo & Jay aka MistaDoblina but they will lower team expectations so far that they will look good in comparison post Bosh.
                        Last edited by SirChillyMost; Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Bargnani has the target on his head for other teams, but Jack is the undisputed current leader amongst the roster. I feel that DeRozan may (should?) assume that role, or both roles, within two years.
                          Joshua Priemski
                          NBA blogger
                          SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                          www.RufusOnFire.com/
                          www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Is Bargnani really the Key?

The key question here .... What exactly is that thing we’re looking for from Bargnani? Is it 23 & 9, with defense the same. Like a lighter version (but not that light) of Bosh. And for only 8 million. Come to think of it, for the price of Bosh (this season), we get Andrea, Amir & Semi-Davis (Jr.).

That leaves a lot of room for other needs. Which can be good if you have a Pension plan calling the shots. In some respects, we seem too focused on the Front Court. Our weakness lies not in the most talked about player, but in the area where all the Contenders seem to thrive – Howard aside. And for now, that pressure is squarely on Demar & Sonny’s doorstep. Being upbeat & enthusiastic only makes it more front and centre.

I like their outlook, and I think they’re the key to a successful season. A 21 & 8 from Andrea, with better help defense, would probably appease most of the critics. But the reality is, the Raptors need more than just that to call this a successful season (final standings aside). If Demar & Sonny disappoint, nothing AB will do, can offset a loss of optimism, that is out there for these young guys.
                            Next stop will be ... ... “ trade’m, they’re bums. ”
                            When it comes to what we want from the 2010-11 Raptors, some people seem to believe that hard work, athleticism, and improvement on offense & defense from the newer players is required, while the record is just a side thing, and not really important. 25 wins would cut it.
                            To me, these two beliefs don’t mix well. Improvement from not just one player, but a few (with the downside loss of Bosh), should mean at least 35 wins. Amongst the top level teams – including that threesome of guys in South Beach – there will be many duds, and injury-riddled opponents to beat up on.

Anything less just means improvement will be partial to one or two players only. Not enough when this version of “hope” features Amir, Demar, Sonny, Davis (when he’s ready), and Bargs (plus maybe Jack), who are expected to improve or be an impact on team results.
                            A 20 win season might mean a good pick, or it might mean a 3rd overall pick (ala Jersey). It could also mean we need to blow it up once again.
                            And have another Groundhog Day moment - for another season at least.

Comment

definately Collangelo, he needs to show tht he is one of the top GM's in the game. and i think if he dosent produce in the next 3 seasons hes GONZO
                              http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

Working...
                              X