• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Araujo Makes Ford's Worst Draft Picks of the Decade

1. Darko Milicic, Detroit Pistons, No. 2 overall in 2003

2. Kwame Brown, Washington Wizards, No. 1 overall in 2001

3. Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Denver Nuggets, No. 5 overall in 2002

4. Adam Morrison, Charlotte Bobcats, No. 3 overall in 2006 -- over Brandon Roy

5a. Marvin Williams, Atlanta Hawks, No. 2 overall in 2005 -- over Chris Paul

5b. Shelden Williams, Atlanta Hawks, No. 5 overall in 2006 -- over Rajon Rondo

6. Yaroslav Korolev, Los Angeles Clippers, No. 12 overall in 2005

7. Fran Vazquez, Orlando Magic, No. 11 overall in 2005

8. Rafael Araujo, Toronto Raptors, No. 8 overall in 2004

Newly minted Raptors GM Rob Babcock didn't take long to screw up the team. The Raptors had just landed Chris Bosh in the 2003 draft and had been playing him at center. Bosh wanted to move to the 4, so Babcock began to scour the draft for a center.

The problem was there weren't any great centers other than Dwight Howard and Emeka Okafor in the 2004 draft. Instead of taking the best player available (i.e., Luol Deng or Andre Iguodala) or taking a risk on a young, athletic big like Andris Biedrins, Babcock selected Araujo, a 24-year-old Brazilian who had put up good numbers at BYU. Most scouts had him ranked somewhere in the mid-to-late first round on the draft boards. The Raptors reached and then watched Araujo flounder for two years before sending him in a trade to the Jazz. Araujo played just 28 games in his third season before falling out of the league.

9. Greg Oden, Portland Trail Blazers, No. 1 overall in 2007 -- over Kevin Durant

10. Jordan Hill, New York Knicks, No. 8 overall in 2009 -- over Brandon Jennings
    Source - ESPN Insider Article

Well...we can't say Jordan Hill is a bust....he doesn't have a lot of playing time.

Comment

I don't think its fair to place Marvin Williams in there. Yes, they should have selected Paul but Williams can play. He's a very solid overall player. He is not a bust, he just happened to have the misfortune of being selected before Chris Paul. I thought busts were players who couldn't hack it at the NBA level, let alone make a meaningful contribution? Where is Darius Miles, Marcus Fizer, DerMarr Johnson, Chris Mihm, Eddy Curry, Sagana Diop, Dajuan Wagner, Mike Sweetney, Ike Diogu, Patrick O'Bryant and Saer Sene?

Here's a list by me. It's worst ESPN insider article of the decade.
      1. The article quoted in the first post.
      Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X