The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    porrier with a huge win. after khabib smashes conor, porrier will be next. i think they might make porrier fight kevin lee in the meantime but think he will beat lee as well. porrier has fantastic boxing. there was a point in that alvarez fight where he was just peppering eddie with touches again and again, right on point. looked great

happy joanna won, she seemed to get her groove as the fight wore on. a couple more contender wins and her confidence should be at champion level highs.

aldo with a w and lots of emotion. good to see him win. when i saw he was a +200 underdog i would have dropped money on him for sure. crazy liver shot. makes me wonder how much they actually hurt, because stevens is a tough guy and that was serious pain on his face.
    Went to the fight on Saturday. I haven't looked up the stats but it seemed like a smallish crowd. Still, crowd was very loud and into the fights - not sure if that came across on tv or not. It was definitely a solid card and there were some entertaining fights.

One thing I forgot is how hard it is to actually watch fights live. Unless you are a knowledgeable fan it is almost impossible to see a lot. It's definitely one thing live boxing has over MMA - better live. Speaking of, I was actually surprised by how dated the presentation of the event looked. It may have just been cause we were sitting in a box and had a weird perspective on the cage but it looked a little cheap.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Went to the fight on Saturday. I haven't looked up the stats but it seemed like a smallish crowd. Still, crowd was very loud and into the fights - not sure if that came across on tv or not. It was definitely a solid card and there were some entertaining fights.

One thing I forgot is how hard it is to actually watch fights live. Unless you are a knowledgeable fan it is almost impossible to see a lot. It's definitely one thing live boxing has over MMA - better live. Speaking of, I was actually surprised by how dated the presentation of the event looked. It may have just been cause we were sitting in a box and had a weird perspective on the cage but it looked a little cheap.
      agreed, that watching a couple people mush around on the ground hand fighting, especially from a distance is not the most exciting thing to see live. i feel the same way about basketball. on t.v. it is very entertaining and fast paced, live i found the stoppages nearly unbearable.

Comment

agreed, that watching a couple people mush around on the ground hand fighting, especially from a distance is not the most exciting thing to see live. i feel the same way about basketball. on t.v. it is very entertaining and fast paced, live i found the stoppages nearly unbearable.
        I like going to live prize fights - there is a distinct electricity in the air that you don't get at any other sporting event. It is also the best crowd/people watching sport.

Comment

• except for cody/dillishaw 227 is pretty meh. they threw mighty mouse on there to get him some ppv money, because people will pay to watch cody knock tj out.

crazy pre/post tj/cruz i really liked tj. still think he is great, but now i think he is a whiner. if tj wins, i expect him to either fight mighty mouse or cruz.

if cody wins, i expect him to fight cruz again.

hope cejudo wins. became a big fan of his on ultimate fighter. i think he has the character to be a good role model, a lot like dc. really hope he wins.

if johnson wins, i hope he fights cruz again.

Comment

• Holy shit.

Am I the only one freaking out about Poirier and Diaz for UFC 230? That's gonna be a dog fight.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

except for cody/dillishaw 227 is pretty meh. they threw mighty mouse on there to get him some ppv money, because people will pay to watch cody knock tj out.

crazy pre/post tj/cruz i really liked tj. still think he is great, but now i think he is a whiner. if tj wins, i expect him to either fight mighty mouse or cruz.

if cody wins, i expect him to fight cruz again.

hope cejudo wins. became a big fan of his on ultimate fighter. i think he has the character to be a good role model, a lot like dc. really hope he wins.

if johnson wins, i hope he fights cruz again.
              I wanna see that money fight of DJ and winner of Garbrandt/Dillashaw. I think that'd be fun.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                Holy shit.

Am I the only one freaking out about Poirier and Diaz for UFC 230? That's gonna be a dog fight.
                Didn't know until I read this ... that will be an awesome fight.

Comment

Holy shit.

I think that is a happy money fight gift to dustin for having to wait for khabib to smash connor. Setting up two good future cards.

Khabib/porrier
                  Connor/diaz 3

Or it can go porrier/connor if connor somehow wins against khabib. Really good future options there for 155 fights.

I don't think diaz will fight khabib though. They would move lee up.

I think porrier beats diaz pretty badly because diaz will let it be a boxing match.

Comment

I wanna see that money fight of DJ and winner of Garbrandt/Dillashaw. I think that'd be fun.
                    I don't think johnson will fight cody.

Comment

I think that is a happy money fight gift to dustin for having to wait for khabib to smash connor. Setting up two good future cards.

Khabib/porrier
                      Connor/diaz 3

Or it can go porrier/connor if connor somehow wins against khabib. Really good future options there for 155 fights.

I don't think diaz will fight khabib though. They would move lee up.

I think porrier beats diaz pretty badly because diaz will let it be a boxing match.
                      Yeah, I think a Kevin Lee fight is waiting in the wings somewhere. He's bound to fight any of those guys, personally, I'd love to see Lee/Diaz at 170. Diaz obviously has the advantage fighting there for a big part of his career, but that'd be an insane fight.

Also, side note, someone get Gaethje in another brawl, I love watching him go at it. I still can't believe he attempted a fucking rolling thunder. Love it.

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      I don't think johnson will fight cody.
                      Goddamn, DJ is my favourite fighter, if he fights the bantamweight champ and wins, I think that cements him in the G.O.A.T conversation.

Comment

Goddamn, DJ is my favourite fighter, if he fights the bantamweight champ and wins, I think that cements him in the G.O.A.T conversation.
                        Problem is the perception is, lost to cruz and ran into a new weight class that gives him no competition. Johnson was kicking ass before he fought cruz.

Skill wise/martial artist wise he is without doubt in the conversation.

Personally, i think he can't beat any of cruz, cody, or tj.

Comment

Problem is the perception is, lost to cruz and ran into a new weight class that gives him no competition. Johnson was kicking ass before he fought cruz.

I agree, I think those guys are all on a different tier of fighters, though, regardless of what their weight class is.

I think if I were to rank tiers in terms of skill/ability:
                          If you think I'm wrong, I'm definitely open.

Tier 1: GSP, Jon Jones, Conor, Khabib, Cormier, Woodley, Diaz brothers, Nunes, Cyborg
                          Tier 2: Dillashaw, Cody, Cruz, Dj, Aldo, Miocic, Holm, Joanna
                          Tier 3: Kevin Lee, Gaethje, Wonderboy, Ngannou, Alvarez
                          Tier 4: all the flyweights lol

I didn't include everyone, just people off the top of my head that are relevant to me right now.

Comment

I'd love to see DJ vs. Joanna. LOL Same weightclass, right?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              hahahahahaha im dying.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                Maybe cyborg/johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X