The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    I feel Nate and especially Eddie went away from their gameplan.
    But that's my point. Conor makes people go away from their gameplan. A very famous thespian once said...

Comment

I feel Nate and especially Eddie went away from their gameplan.
      Joey wrote: View Post
      But that's my point. Conor makes people go away from their gameplan. A very famous thespian once said...
      Nate followed his game plan. Connor is just better than him.

I think people are over emphasizing the raging al fight. That stand up was all predicated by khabib, and he won it. I don't think al did anything to slow down or dissuade khabib there.

I see where connor is great at mind games, but khabib thrives in a war torn country filled with terrorists. It could happen, i really don't think it will.

I am a connor fan, just a bigger khabib fan. Sucker for the grapplers.

Comment

• I think cejudo might have taken that.

Comment

• Wow. Dillishaw with another knockout.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            I think cejudo might have taken that.
            I think he won based on being able to consistently take down DJ and impose his will. DJ had the adjust accordingly which, even though he dominated the striking, had to pull back. Wasn’t the usual dominant performance. Hats off to Cejudo. Wonderful fight.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Wow. Dillishaw with another knockout.
              Is the “greatest bantamweight ever” conversation to premature? I think I have to see Cruz vs. Dillashaw first.

Comment

Is the “greatest bantamweight ever” conversation to premature? I think I have to see Cruz vs. Dillashaw first.
                Yes. I think so, especially because he hasn't beaten cruz. I thought he won the cruz fight though.

Cody seems to have a problem of going forward when he is hurt. Right after he got touched he started haymakering. That could work against an idiot, but not against a top ranked fighter who is known for finishes.

Comment

Yes. I think so, especially because he hasn't beaten cruz. I thought he won the cruz fight though.

Cody seems to have a problem of going forward when he is hurt. Right after he got touched he started haymakering. That could work against an idiot, but not against a top ranked fighter who is known for finishes.
                  He has to beat Cruz. Assuming Cruz can even fight again, which I have my doubts about.

Garbrandt did not look impressive. He's given a lot of ground to Dilishaw. You wonder if the long layoffs his last two fights have hurt him. Not sure what they do with him now.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    He has to beat Cruz. Assuming Cruz can even fight again, which I have my doubts about.

Garbrandt did not look impressive. He's given a lot of ground to Dilishaw. You wonder if the long layoffs his last two fights have hurt him. Not sure what they do with him now.
                    He probably goes back to fighting the Assuncao's, Moraes, Linekers, Rivera, etc. He's still a serious name, but will need some serious work to get back to a title fight. He's gotten starched twice now.

Comment

He probably goes back to fighting the Assuncao's, Moraes, Linekers, Rivera, etc. He's still a serious name, but will need some serious work to get back to a title fight. He's gotten starched twice now.
                      Agreed. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another alpha male falling out. But cody definitely needs to get back to winning.

Comment

• Had high hopes for Cody after that Cruz demolition ... as I'm sure the UFC did as well ... similar boat as Joanna was in after losing to Rose twice in a row. I could see Cody moving up/down in weight class as well. Might be the right move now. Would love to see what he can do at 145. Him vs Mighty Mouse is still a fight I'd watch as well.

Comment

Agreed. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another alpha male falling out. But cody definitely needs to get back to winning.
                          Weird. As Joey mentioned, Cody and Team Alpha Male had the perfect gameplan going into the Cruz bout. We all knew about how much they were able to imitate his style.

For some reason, for these last two camps, I feel like the technical stuff got thrown out of the window. Dillashaw is such an unorthodox, weird fighter with the switches and angles that you gotta keep the hands up. I was surprised that Cody, with all the boxing background, just kept dropping hands, loading up, and pressing without much success. I was a big fan but he seriously needs some work.

Joey wrote: View Post
                          Had high hopes for Cody after that Cruz demolition ... as I'm sure the UFC did as well ... similar boat as Joanna was in after losing to Rose twice in a row. I could see Cody moving up/down in weight class as well. Might be the right move now. Would love to see what he can do at 145. Him vs Mighty Mouse is still a fight I'd watch as well.
                          Based on the above point, I think Cody is still on the rise to become one of the UFC's biggest stars. He has the fighting style, the mouth, the fiery, brash personality, and he's got the look. But, regardless of where he goes, he's going to get starched, esp. with dudes way heavier than he is.

I think Mighty Mouse would be fun, but you've got to bring your A game cause I don't think Cody's got much of a ground game, and DJ's going to capitalize on weaknesses.

Comment

• For those that watched the original Ultimate Fighter, and remember "Strange Brew", and are looking for a good long-read article, would highly recommend this one about the lone Canadian on the show (Reminder: He didn't do well on it):
                            https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/2...f-strange-brew

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              For those that watched the original Ultimate Fighter, and remember "Strange Brew", and are looking for a good long-read article, would highly recommend this one about the lone Canadian on the show (Reminder: He didn't do well on it):
                              https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/2...f-strange-brew
                              Good read. Poor strange brew. I didn't even remember him. Sucks he kept getting his ass kicked after he got back home.

Comment

Had no clue Justin Buchholz wasn't coaching, I noticed he wasn't there in Cody's corner during the fight, but didn't know he left.

In the podcast, Justin said it was because of a "difference of opinion." That's super interesting, always some crazy shit at Team Alpha Male. I don't know about you guys, as annoying as Buchholz is, he's been a big part of Cody's success, and I can kinda correlate not having him there as being a negative to his training.

Buchholz also said that he thinks "proper training" would've prepared him better for TJ.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/7...ead-of-ufc-227

Comment

Working...
                                X