Likes Likes:  390
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68
Results 1,341 to 1,353 of 1353

Thread: The MMA Thread

  1. #1341
    Raptors Republic Veteran Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    5,117
    Likes (Given)
    490
    Likes (Received)
    1455

    Default

    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    That's a fucking insane fight. I was listening to Helwani's show, and it sounds like GSP is itching for that fight.

    Problem is, NSAC is probably giving Khabib AT LEAST six months. They've got that hearing on Oct. 24, and both are suspended 10 days since Oct. 15.

    So... hypothetically, both guys could train, and fight happens as early as April/May? That's with a full camp. I'd have to give Khabib the advantage, as crazy as that sounds. Losing the weight is obviously hard as we all know. From 180 to 155 is fucking crazy, even for GSP. He'll be worn out by the weight cut in my opinion, and Khabib is already a monster at 155.

    But, let's say none of that applies, there's no question George is the better overall fighter.
    I think this was all planned when GSP beat Bisping. He lays low, however in the last bunch of photoi's I have seen I can tell he has been systematically dropping weight all along. He was never going to try to cut in 6 months, he is using a whole year or more to do it right. I bet he isn't too far off already. He had to go way above his natural size to fight Bisping, so once he get back to normal, it's just a matter of doing the work to reduce further.

    The figt is going to happen, GSP wants 3 weight divisions, and I think he will get them.

  2. Likes ReubenJRD liked this post
  3. #1342
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes (Given)
    1180
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default

    Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    I think this was all planned when GSP beat Bisping. He lays low, however in the last bunch of photoi's I have seen I can tell he has been systematically dropping weight all along. He was never going to try to cut in 6 months, he is using a whole year or more to do it right. I bet he isn't too far off already. He had to go way above his natural size to fight Bisping, so once he get back to normal, it's just a matter of doing the work to reduce further.

    The figt is going to happen, GSP wants 3 weight divisions, and I think he will get them.
    He's walking around at 180-ish, he recently said on Helwani's show. First question he answered, in fact.

    I want the fight to happen.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

  4. #1343
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,746
    Likes (Given)
    4427
    Likes (Received)
    1661

    Default

    khabib would fight at 165, which means it wouldn't be a title fight so maybe dana likes it more. i don't think george would do it without the title though. i think first 3 weight class title holder is more important to him then just beating khabib


  5. #1344
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes (Given)
    1180
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    khabib would fight at 165, which means it wouldn't be a title fight so maybe dana likes it more. i don't think george would do it without the title though. i think first 3 weight class title holder is more important to him then just beating khabib

    I agree with that. It would definitely make history, though. New weight class, fight the UFC's best with a chance to give him his first defeat. But, I think it'd have to be for the vacant title if I were GSP.

    I think it means a lot more though to take a title from an established weight class like 155, especially cause that class just has all the goddamn names.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

  6. #1345
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,746
    Likes (Given)
    4427
    Likes (Received)
    1661

    Default

    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    I agree with that. It would definitely make history, though. New weight class, fight the UFC's best with a chance to give him his first defeat. But, I think it'd have to be for the vacant title if I were GSP.

    I think it means a lot more though to take a title from an established weight class like 155, especially cause that class just has all the goddamn names.
    I don't think it would be for a title at 165. I think it would be a catch weight fight that actually has no consequences.

  7. Likes ReubenJRD liked this post
  8. #1346
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,462
    Likes (Given)
    12067
    Likes (Received)
    5923

    Default

    Ya Dana has been clear that he doesn't want a 165lb Division, because it will water down the 155 and 170 .. and I tend to agree. Unless the UFC starts allowing guys to carry multiple belts.

    I could see him doing a one-off catch weight though.

  9. Likes ReubenJRD liked this post
  10. #1347
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes (Given)
    1180
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I don't think it would be for a title at 165. I think it would be a catch weight fight that actually has no consequences.
    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Ya Dana has been clear that he doesn't want a 165lb Division, because it will water down the 155 and 170 .. and I tend to agree. Unless the UFC starts allowing guys to carry multiple belts.

    I could see him doing a one-off catch weight though.
    Is that what you guys think happens or what your prefer?

    Personally, I'd love to see the fight happen at catch weight, but, as Miekenstien said, the fight has no consequences. That's where the appeal of the fight I think drops for GSP in some way. His preference is a title, isn't it?
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

  11. #1348
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,462
    Likes (Given)
    12067
    Likes (Received)
    5923

    Default

    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Is that what you guys think happens or what your prefer?

    Personally, I'd love to see the fight happen at catch weight, but, as Miekenstien said, the fight has no consequences. That's where the appeal of the fight I think drops for GSP in some way. His preference is a title, isn't it?
    I don't think so. He doesn't really talk about "Titles" when discussing his legacy .. just individuals he would like to fight. Or that's how I've interpreted it anyway.

  12. Likes ReubenJRD liked this post
  13. #1349
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,746
    Likes (Given)
    4427
    Likes (Received)
    1661

    Default

    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Is that what you guys think happens or what your prefer?

    Personally, I'd love to see the fight happen at catch weight, but, as Miekenstien said, the fight has no consequences. That's where the appeal of the fight I think drops for GSP in some way. His preference is a title, isn't it?
    I think if george wants that he gets it. I don't think it would happen. I would love to let it be for a title at 155, and if george wins and walks away, you can reset the division with an awesome tournament. That is what I want. I would love to see if khabib ragdolls george, I can't see him doing that, and I want to see if george can get on top of khabib.

  14. Likes ReubenJRD liked this post
  15. #1350
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes (Given)
    1180
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    I don't think so. He doesn't really talk about "Titles" when discussing his legacy .. just individuals he would like to fight. Or that's how I've interpreted it anyway.
    That is true, but he has also discussed the idea of potentially being a champion of three different weight classes. I think, at this point, GSP is searching for the perfect scenario where it checks off: legac (great fighter), different weight class (conquering three), money (duh).

    ... he also did say that the longer it doesn't happen from now until late 2019, he'll probably choose to hang it up.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

  16. #1351
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes (Given)
    1180
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I think if george wants that he gets it. I don't think it would happen. I would love to let it be for a title at 155, and if george wins and walks away, you can reset the division with an awesome tournament. That is what I want. I would love to see if khabib ragdolls george, I can't see him doing that, and I want to see if george can get on top of khabib.
    Fucking awesome idea with the tournament.

    This gives guys like Poirier a real chance at the title. Conor can get his warmup fights, Diaz can finally get some looks, Khabib/Ferguson, Gaethje, Barboza, etc. The division is stacked with studs.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

  17. #1352
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,746
    Likes (Given)
    4427
    Likes (Received)
    1661

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    I don't think so. He doesn't really talk about "Titles" when discussing his legacy .. just individuals he would like to fight. Or that's how I've interpreted it anyway.
    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    That is true, but he has also discussed the idea of potentially being a champion of three different weight classes. I think, at this point, GSP is searching for the perfect scenario where it checks off: legac (great fighter), different weight class (conquering three), money (duh).

    ... he also did say that the longer it doesn't happen from now until late 2019, he'll probably choose to hang it up.
    I think the only guy george fights that doesn't have to be a title fight is Anderson silva. That could sell in Toronto and would look just like silva vs cormier

  18. #1353
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes (Given)
    1180
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I think the only guy george fights that doesn't have to be a title fight is Anderson silva. That could sell in Toronto and would look just like silva vs cormier
    GSP said on Helwani's show that the fight would like be in early 2019. If I'm not mistaken.

    Tough, he and Silva would be tight, but, I'd wanna GSP against the current greats. Silva has been offline for awhile, I don't think the appeal is as a big as it would have been if they fought two, three years ago.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •