The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I think if george wants that he gets it. I don't think it would happen. I would love to let it be for a title at 155, and if george wins and walks away, you can reset the division with an awesome tournament. That is what I want. I would love to see if khabib ragdolls george, I can't see him doing that, and I want to see if george can get on top of khabib.
    Fucking awesome idea with the tournament.

This gives guys like Poirier a real chance at the title. Conor can get his warmup fights, Diaz can finally get some looks, Khabib/Ferguson, Gaethje, Barboza, etc. The division is stacked with studs.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      I don't think so. He doesn't really talk about "Titles" when discussing his legacy .. just individuals he would like to fight. Or that's how I've interpreted it anyway.
      ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
      That is true, but he has also discussed the idea of potentially being a champion of three different weight classes. I think, at this point, GSP is searching for the perfect scenario where it checks off: legac (great fighter), different weight class (conquering three), money (duh).

... he also did say that the longer it doesn't happen from now until late 2019, he'll probably choose to hang it up.
      I think the only guy george fights that doesn't have to be a title fight is Anderson silva. That could sell in Toronto and would look just like silva vs cormier

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
        I think the only guy george fights that doesn't have to be a title fight is Anderson silva. That could sell in Toronto and would look just like silva vs cormier
        GSP said on Helwani's show that the fight would like be in early 2019. If I'm not mistaken.

Tough, he and Silva would be tight, but, I'd wanna GSP against the current greats. Silva has been offline for awhile, I don't think the appeal is as a big as it would have been if they fought two, three years ago.

Comment

• Sup? Did Silva agree to fight Conor at 180lbs?

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            Sup? Did Silva agree to fight Conor at 180lbs?
            WTF? That's super weird ... I don't understand. Lol

Edit: Ok, so apparently it's them just saying they would fight each other. Nothing imminent or anything like that. I'd be interested to see Conor get that big though. Wonder if Dana would even book that.
            Last edited by Joey; Sat Oct 20, 2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• UFC 230 just lost another co-main. Luke Rockhold had to pull out due to injuries. Super bummed about that. Really wanted to see that fight.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                UFC 230 just lost another co-main. Luke Rockhold had to pull out due to injuries. Super bummed about that. Really wanted to see that fight.
                like I said, it might be the first MSG card that ends up being sub-par.

As much attention as Lewis/Cormier is getting, we all know that its like -100000000 for Cormier, with one lucky punch and durability in Lewis' pocket.

Comment

• So with Khabib likely set to face Feruson, and Dana saying GSP must fight a contender first before a shot at Khabib, and Conor saying he is fine with not having an immediate rematch and will face the next in line, what are the chances GSP fights Conor AND THEN Khabib? Or the winner of GSP fights Khabib?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• I don't think there is any reason for gsp to fight connor after his loss. I think a connor gsp fight goes worse for connor than the khabib fight did. Gsp does what khabib does, but is also a great striker.

I really only see gsp taking 2 fights. 1 vs Anderson for money, and one vs khabib for legacy and money.

I want khabib vs gsp more than any of the other options. I think that fight cements the non lobov goat.

Comment

• ONE FC and UFC discussing a *trade* of Ben Askren for Demetrious Johnson...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/...n-askren-trade

WTF?!

Book Ben Askren vs. GSP for February. Dana wants GSP to fight a contender at 155 at least once before getting a crack at Khabib? Done. Why the hell would DJ go to ONE, is the real question. He will get promoted like crazy there, and make lots of cash, but the competition isn't close. Maybe UFC is closing the 125 division...

UFC must be getting antsy about fighter movement. It was only Bellator before, now ONE is also in the mix with this and Eddie...
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                        ONE FC and UFC discussing a *trade* of Ben Askren for Demetrious Johnson...

WTF?!

Book Ben Askren vs. GSP for February. Dana wants GSP to fight a contender at 155 at least once before getting a crack at Khabib? Done. Why the hell would DJ go to ONE, is the real question. He will get promoted like crazy there, and make lots of cash, but the competition isn't close. Maybe UFC is closing the 125 division...

UFC must be getting antsy about fighter movement. It was only Bellator before, now ONE is also in the mix with this and Eddie...
                        Askren/gsp road to khabib would be really good. I still think gsp wins, but that is a great fight.

DJ would be a great draw for one, along with Alvarez, that gives them good competition against bellator, and ufc can watch it's two competitors compete themselves out of business. DJ doesn't make Dana that much money, and askren has the potential to make a ton.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                          ONE FC and UFC discussing a *trade* of Ben Askren for Demetrious Johnson...

WTF?!

Yeup, after they snatched Eddie, ONE FC is going to get some looks, with this trade... holy shit. They'll end up having one of the best of all-time on their roster. Insane.

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          Askren/gsp road to khabib would be really good. I still think gsp wins, but that is a great fight.

DJ would be a great draw for one, along with Alvarez, that gives them good competition against bellator, and ufc can watch it's two competitors compete themselves out of business. DJ doesn't make Dana that much money, and askren has the potential to make a ton.
                          Askren is awesome, but is he a big money draw? I think that'll play a part in GSP wanting to fight. I know Dana said he'll have to get a crack at someone and make the weight first before a title shot, but, I don't think GSP wants a "warm-up." It's too big a risk, cause obviously if he loses, no title shot, no money fight, not to mention if he wins, he'll be out longer from competition to recover being making a big weight cut again. I don't see GSP agreeing to a warm-up unless it was Conor McGregor for a big money bout.

Comment

• GSP would tear Askren apart, I hope they book that one.

Comment

• not a bad free card tomorrow night. be surprised if smith beats volkan. be very surprised if johnson beats lobov. cirkunov is a good show, i like court mcgee. a little surprised that aimenn zahabi isn't fighting in canada though.

Comment

• smith looked good. don't know if letting jones punch himself out will work like it did against volkan. he has the height and size to give jones a fight though. if jones beats guftasson, i don't know if they give smith the shot though.

johnson wins a fight he comes in over weight to, this one wasn't as egregious as others though since he only had 2 weeks to prep for the fight. good on artem to give him back his money. i think if artem can get to 135 he should, those t-rex arms aren't going to do much at 145, and he doesn't wrestle.

Comment

Working...
                                X