Valanciunas is the next...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I agree, he seems very Bogut-ish in potential, size and skill right now. I don't think the weight is a knock. He's what, 240 and he just turned 19 or something? Remember he's a big so growth spurts have probably made it hard to keep weight on. Then consider Tyson Chandler is listed at 235 (though I think that number has to be old on nba.com and he's probably closer to 250 or more)...I think Val will definitely get bigger, and it won't be hard. This is not a case of Bosh or Biedrins where guys stay skinny. I think Val will end up somewhere between 250 and 270 easily.
    His problem is not weight, but strength. Young guys don't generally have the strength that older guys do. And it's not just strength but knowledge of how to use it. That all comes with time. I think he'll probably end up gaining 10-20 lbs, just looking at him, but I think strength is more important.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Jonas Val can be the next Jonas Val.....this looks very promising: (Raps fans need something to be excited about, and might as well be our future 5)

Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        he's... not the next andrea bargnani. i can tell you that.
        Hahah Great point. They really are Polar Opposites. Which, who knows, might turn out to be quite complimentary. Assuming we keep Il Mago. Although with Ed Davis and Jonas Val set to be a dominant, controlling 4-5, I'm not sure theres room for Bargs.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Wow. The young Sabonis was SKINNY! It's been a while since I saw pre-NBA Sabonis. I forgot just how mobile he was. And man was he a good passer. I would have loved to have seen him come to the NBA ten years earlier.
          Well he came to the NBA when he was like 25 I think, but Russia certainly did hold him back for a few years.

But ya, he was a mobile, athletic 7 footer, not unlike Jonas. The NBA never even got the best Sabonis there was. His entire NBA career was post-Achilles injury, which pretty much hampered him the rest of the way.

I imagine people were on him to put on some weight as well in his early days. Perhaps with the injury, he put too much on, and from there, never got his step back. Regardless, he was as dominant a center the international game has ever seen, and it translated fantastically to the NBA level. And in article on FIBA.com, the author goes on to say that Jonas is the most Dominant Center FIBA has ever seen, since Age-Specific tournaments began. Thats quite the praise.

Comment

If My Name is Jonas is close to Noah, then he is the perfect compliment to Andrea (you better believe he is never gonna be traded). Aggressive defender, tenacious rebounder and can take it to the hoop hard when needed, that is exactly what Andrea needs beside him. I truly love that comparison, especially since he is already a better shooter than Noah

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Well he came to the NBA when he was like 25 I think, but Russia certainly did hold him back for a few years.

But ya, he was a mobile, athletic 7 footer, not unlike Jonas. The NBA never even got the best Sabonis there was. His entire NBA career was post-Achilles injury, which pretty much hampered him the rest of the way.

I imagine people were on him to put on some weight as well in his early days. Perhaps with the injury, he put too much on, and from there, never got his step back. Regardless, he was as dominant a center the international game has ever seen, and it translated fantastically to the NBA level. And in article on FIBA.com, the author goes on to say that Jonas is the most Dominant Center FIBA has ever seen, since Age-Specific tournaments began. Thats quite the praise.
              Actually, he was almost 31 the first time he played in the NBA. Yet he still managed to average 12 ppg and 7 rpg over the next 7 years, including a best of 16 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 apg and a block a game. That would make him the best center ever for the Raptors.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He seems to have a cross of the physical, iq and intangibles of Bogut & Chandler.

Biedrins is terrible at the foul line & Jonas has much better posture on his jump shot compared to Noah.

Comment

Actually, he was almost 31 the first time he played in the NBA. Yet he still managed to average 12 ppg and 7 rpg over the next 7 years, including a best of 16 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 apg and a block a game. That would make him the best center ever for the Raptors.
                  Interesting comparison, especially since Jonas has said that he is a fan of Sabonis' game.
                  If those numbers would make him the best center, then let me go on record in saying that we have just drafted the best Center in Raptor history (barring serious injury).
                  Last edited by BC Boy; Sat Jul 9, 2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I think these comparisons are all nice and whatnot, but it feels like it's being understated that the raptors have, what is looking like, an almost undeniably fantastic PROSPECT.

Right now, against his age group, he is incredible. And to think that we have the rights to someone with such potential is really really exciting.

If Kanter was the #3 pick based a lot on his hoops summit performance, how is Jonas dominating his age group not better?

I could easily be sipping on the sweet lockout kool-aid, but with every dominating game, and what seems to be a lack of progress in the labor deal, I'd think that if they were to do this draft tomorrow, there would be a lot of hype for JV as the #1 pick.

Here's hoping he blossoms into Dwight Howard and then some. And if not, we will always have the u19s!!!

Comment

Valanciunas looks like and reminds me of another NBA first round pick, Eric Montross. He won a NCAA championship with North Carolina in 1993 and had a brief cup of coffee with the Raptors but I don't think he played a game.
                      Last edited by stretch; Sat Jul 9, 2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        Valanciunas looks like and reminds me of another NBA first round pick, Eric Montross. He won a NCAA championship with North Carolina in 1995 and had a brief cup of coffee with the Raptors but I don't think he played a game.
                        Sorry, but that's an awful comparison. Other than them being white and tall, there really is nothing in common. Montross was stiff and robotic, but strong. He wasn't agile or athletic, at all, and he didn't have good hands. Valanciunas has the agility of a small forward, is a very fluid athlete and has good hands.

What on earth do you think they have in common?
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hoopshype has Jonas compared with Nenad Krstic. Still like the Noah comparison best.

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
                            Hoopshype has Jonas compared with Nenad Krstic. Still like the Noah comparison best.
                            What is it with some of these comparisons? Krstic? Have they actually watched Valanciunas? Is it because they're both European? Krstic has never been known for his defense, but has always been a pretty decent offensive player. Does that sound Like Valanciunas?
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

What is it with some of these comparisons? Krstic? Have they actually watched Valanciunas? Is it because they're both European? Krstic has never been known for his defense, but has always been a pretty decent offensive player. Does that sound Like Valanciunas?
                              I agree, it's a bad comparison... however, the one that sends chills up my spine is the primo brezec one.

Comment

im just relieved hes nothing like andrea
                                ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                                X