Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I dont see the need to trade JV hes putting up literally record numbers for under 20 minutes. How many guys out there are naturally 20 pt 12 rebound guys but are always in a good mood even though they're relegated to 8th in minutes?

Jvs random absolute bursts of scoring have proven huge time and time again in the playoffs. Hes a top 3 scorer on the team who improves in may. Thompson may be slightly better in pick and roll but will still he relegated well behind Ibaka and siakam at crunch time 5 anyways
    Is Domascas Montyjonas still available?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      No. You're not swapping out JV for TT for rebounding. It's to guard opposition PnR and generally, in space.
      This is not a good reason. JV gives up midrange jumpers and floaters because of how far back he sags. It is also something that is partly due to how frequently he'd left with no good help trying to defend the p'n'r (ie someone like DeMar getting obliterated on a screen leaving that as the only option left to JV to have a chance to defend either guy at the rim).

It is not something to worry about. Wall was hitting those shots at a career high level in our series against them with JV on the court...and we easily won all of JV's minutes in that series. If guys have to knock down the worst shot in the game at a super high level consistently to even have a chance at winning, you'll take that. And you can work on having JV closing the gap as the season goes on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is Domascas Montyjonas still available?
        Careful, you're gonna summon Christ1an from his hibernation
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Careful, you're gonna summon Christ1an from his hibernation
          I'm guessing that he spends a lot of time over at the Spurs blogs and forums. Especially this one....

https://www.poundingtherock.com/

Comment

I dont see the need to trade JV hes putting up literally record numbers for under 20 minutes. How many guys out there are naturally 20 pt 12 rebound guys but are always in a good mood even though they're relegated to 8th in minutes?

Jvs random absolute bursts of scoring have proven huge time and time again in the playoffs. Hes a top 3 scorer on the team who improves in may. Thompson may be slightly better in pick and roll but will still he relegated well behind Ibaka and siakam at crunch time 5 anyways
            I'm sorta of the view that you play JV and if teams are successful in attacking him in screen-and-roll you can take him out if it becomes a massive liability. If not, he's basically always a plus on the offensive end.

Raps have lots of ways to match up in the playoffs and that may mean less JV but trading him outright seems like a massive overreaction, unless the return is simply to good to pass up (and that doesn't mean Tristan Thomson).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              I'm sorta of the view that you play JV and if teams are successful in attacking him in screen-and-roll you can take him out if it becomes a massive liability. If not, he's basically always a plus on the offensive end.

Raps have lots of ways to match up in the playoffs and that may mean less JV but trading him outright seems like a massive overreaction, unless the return is simply to good to pass up (and that doesn't mean Tristan Thomson).
              Yep JV is like a clutch relief pitcher...he's been the single biggest reason for winning at least one game in every playoffs we've had. And if people haven't noticed we're 20-4, so I don't think his defense has been killing our regular season progress too badly.

Guess we just need something to talk about

Comment

Yep JV is like a clutch relief pitcher...he's been the single biggest reason for winning at least one game in every playoffs we've had. And if people haven't noticed we're 20-4, so I don't think his defense has been killing our regular season progress too badly.

First World problems.

Comment

Can’t be a Raptors fanbase without complaining about something.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's more about finding transition lineups to fill in around our incredible starting lineup, than trying to re-create the magic of the 5-man 'bench mob'. The goal now should be to simply find transition lineups that bleed the least that also gives our starters max minutes together and enough rest for the end of game push.

One change could be instead of swapping OG for Pascal at PF, we take Kawhi out earlier and sub in OG at SF, so Kawhi can prop up the bench units (FVV & Wright). Another change could putting Serge & JV back together in limited minutes, but only against other bench lineups when Pascal is resting and Serge subs back in at PF.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the hockey lineups innovation was Nurse's idea but he needs to let that one go.
                    I agree with this. It summarizes well what I think it should be the overall goal of the rotation this year. It also feels like it would be the most effective in the playoffs.

Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know the average time (minutes) the same lineup stays on the floor together continuously in the NBA? (in other words, how long of a stretch the same fivesome stay together before a sub comes in)?

Comment

• I'm with everyone, trading JV for a guy like Tristan doesn't make sense and doesn't make us better. Tristan actually isn't that good of a pnr defender anyway. Maybe slightly better than JV but not enough to make up for all the things JV is better than Tristan at. Also as people said, we purposely (I say purposely because all our big men do it) have JV sagging way back in the pnr because I think anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that the midrange shot is the worst shot in the game. I give that up any day if it means making it easier for JV to protect the paint. If teams have to win by hitting that shot at an elite level the entire game I'll take my chances. Now if its Durant taking those shots it's different but we won't have to worry about that until we get to the finals.

I think the only way we can improve our bench is to stop letting Fred be the primary ball handler. I don't know how long it's gonna take for Nurse to see that but I'm hoping he at least figures it out by the playoffs or Fred actually improves as the primary ball handler (which I doubt). He's dribbling the air out the ball too much and he is terrible at using our big men in the pnr. Delon is at least better at it, not by much but still better. I think it's Fred's height that is causing this issue more than anything else. He just can't see over the defence which causes him to not make that pass to the rolling big man. Delon can see over the defence much better and if a better finisher when he gets into the paint. He's also more crafty at getting there and doesn't get blocked as easily. Now if Nurse doesn't stop the whole Fred being the primary ball handler thing I don't think much will change to be honest.

Yes we can take Pascal out earlier to play with the bench (because I do feel it's only fair to him to have him starting. He's playing too well and worked too hard. It would look bad if we have him coming off the bench just because the bench is struggling) and take Kawhi or Kyle out earlier so they can play with the bench as well but if Fred is still dominating the ball with those guys in the game it's not going to make any difference. And we've seen this season that even with one of those 3 guys plays with the bench it's the same old shit because instead of letting Pascal, or Kawhi or Kyle handle the ball more we STILL have Fred dominating the ball for god knows what reason. Smh. Losing Jakob definitely is a reason as well but I still think Fred is the biggest issue. That's just my take on the situation.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• And the other thing is we saw that the all bench unit doesn't work in the playoffs because teams just keep at least 1-2 starters in the game at all times. So I don't even know if its that important to have a good all bench lineup. We just need to use guys better aka Fred and have more transitional lineups where 1-2 starters are in the game at all times aka one or 2 of Pascal, Kawhi or Kyle. Also try to keep Pascal and Serge and JV and OG together as much as possible. But i know Nurse wants everyone to be comfortable playing with everyone so we probably won't see that stay set too much.
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• We need JV. I mean we're probably good enough to come out of east with or without JV. But if we play in the Finals against GSW, neither Ibaka nor Thompson will be big enough to matchup with Cousins, who by the way will be back in their lineup as soon as next week.
                          JV has shown in his past matchups with Cousins that he can play him to neutral at least and often he outplayed him. All I see with Ibaka and Tristan is them fouling out in 15 minutes.

We'll play GSW in less than 2 weeks again and Boogie will likely play that game, although he won't be 100% that soon. We'll see how that goes.

Also, as many have already mentioned, JV steps up in the Playoffs and often wins us a game or 2. So no. I wouldn't trade JV.

Plus, I thought JV is playing really good D this year. Yes, he allows long twos and some floaters, but this exactly what you want to do. Take away threes and layups. The midrange game is the least efficient game and every team tries to pry offences into those midrange shots. So I think, we're doing a great job of doing just that with JV.

JV's perceived struggles aren't his struggles at all in my mind. It's more the struggles of our bench. Due to injuries, our bench rotations haven't been anywhere close to consistent and the injured players that are back have been wildly inconsistent on individual level as well. JV had what 2-3 sub par games so far? How many sub par games has the entire bench have so far? The bench had maybe 2 or 3 good games all year. So no, JV is nowhere close to being our problem right now.

Comment

• The struggles of JV with the bench group has something to do of his partnership with Fred Van Vleet. They really are not a good match. In contrast with Lowry, Kyle is a more versatile PG thus he is an all star and a legit starting point guard, he knows better the tendencies of JV and can adapt to having a slow like a log Center.

Van Vleet’s skillset is more suited with a Center that is more agile like a Yak. He can be a good partner to a Plumlee of the Nuggets. I also dont doubt that he would be successful pairing with Tristan.

That being said, if I am Masai...I would see it like this, who is more valuable to the team? Fred or JV? Who can give him the best return if he pick one as a trading asset?

JV is a Center who historically performs well in the playoffs when the pace of the game slows down.

Fred is a frenetic PG who performs well if PACE is of value but may not be sustainable when the game grinds out to a halt after 82.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                              The struggles of JV with the bench group has something to do of his partnership with Fred Van Vleet. They really are not a good match. In contrast with Lowry, Kyle is a more versatile PG thus he is an all star and a legit starting point guard, he knows better the tendencies of JV and can adapt to having a slow like a log Center.

Van Vleet’s skillset is more suited with a Center that is more agile like a Yak. He can be a good partner to a Plumlee of the Nuggets. I also dont doubt that he would be successful pairing with Tristan.

That being said, if I am Masai...I would see it like this, who is more valuable to the team? Fred or JV? Who can give him the best return if he pick one as a trading asset?

JV is a Center who historically performs well in the playoffs when the pace of the game slows down.

Fred is a frenetic PG who performs well if PACE is of value but may not be sustainable when the game grinds out to a halt after 82.
                              Or, as danh has been saying, use the pg we already have, the worse shooter but more creative and handler and pick and roll guy in delon, and play fred at the 2 as catch and shoot

Comment

• I don’t even think JV is the main problem on the bench mob. Its FVV, he over dribbles too much, partly because I think he was used to playing with 2 mobile bigs in Siakam and Poeltl and found them on cuts, JV isn’t the same.

Easiest solution is to post up JV more and play 4 out-1 in, and have Wright as the main ball handler.

Comment

Working...
                                X