No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in all the bruhaha about Kawhi coming to Toronto is the impact this change will have on Valanciunis' game.What happens to him offensively and defensively?

Offensively he will have so many options to pass to after receiving the ball that there will be no more double teaming him down low. (Or at least, no double teaming without paying a price). If he receive the ball up top, he can fake, take two steps and then pass the ball out to whichever corner' man comes in to help. Then it's a three point shot or he receives the ball back for an easy dunk. If he keeps working on his three, which he seems to be doing, then there is always that as an option. If his man comes out to cover him, two Raptors wings are cutting to the basket.

Defensively, what will it mean when when offensive players aren't leaking past their defensive covers like Niagara Falls pouring through the mesh of a hoop? It means he can stick with his cover instead of having to run out to the corner to try and stop a blown assignment. He can control the paint, or stick with his man, whichever is appropriate...and Nurse has the option to cover the opposing C with any one of three different palyers, if that makes more sense.

Essentially, with the acquisition of Leonard and Green, JV's positives get utilized more, and his negatives get covered more. He has a reasonable chance for Most Improved Player of the Year, or at least to be in the conversation.
    Last edited by Puffer; Sat Jul 21, 2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• With Poeltl, Bebe and Casey no longer here I could see JV averaging over 30mpg. Of course we could still get a 4th big, but at this point I can't see JV averaging in the low 20's like he did in previous years.

Comment

• I've always wondered about his mins. He's only averaging 25 mins a game the last few years.

If that is still the case next season then its probably a conditioning issue.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          I've always wondered about his mins. He's only averaging 25 mins a game the last few years.

If that is still the case next season then its probably a conditioning issue.
          It wasn't a conditioning issue.
          We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            Lost in all the bruhaha about Kawhi coming to Toronto is the impact this change will have on Valanciunis' game.What happens to him offensively and defensively?

Offensively he will have so many options to pass to after receiving the ball that there will be no more double teaming him down low. (Or at least, no double teaming without paying a price). If he receive the ball up top, he can fake, take two steps and then pass the ball out to whichever corner' man comes in to help. Then it's a three point shot or he receives the ball back for an easy dunk. If he keeps working on his three, which he seems to be doing, then there is always that as an option. If his man comes out to cover him, two Raptors wings are cutting to the basket.

Defensively, what will it mean when when offensive players aren't leaking past their defensive covers like Niagara Falls pouring through the mesh of a hoop? It means he can stick with his cover instead of having to run out to the corner to try and stop a blown assignment. He can control the paint, or stick with his man, whichever is appropriate...and Nurse has the option to cover the opposing C with any one of three different palyers, if that makes more sense.

Essentially, with the acquisition of Leonard and Green, JV's positives get utilized more, and his negatives get covered more. He has a reasonable chance for 6th Man of the Year, or at least to be in the conversation.
            Pretty much agree with this with the exception being that I think you meant Most Improved Player of the year at the end there.

Even before Kawhi; I was thinking with just the coaching change; there'd be a good chance to break out for JV and I even said earlier than that that there would be a very good chance that JV is at least in the All Star conversation this season.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Dwane Casey wrote: View Post
              Lol, love it!

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                Pretty much agree with this with the exception being that I think you meant Most Improved Player of the year at the end the...
                Right you are. Corrected original post.
                Last edited by Puffer; Sat Jul 21, 2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Can't wait for JV to destroy the Pisstons and the Spurs. JV probably the happiest to see Demar and Casey leave.

Comment

• Dwane Casey wrote: View Post
                    First post since November. Great.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                      Can't wait for JV to destroy the Pisstons and the Spurs. JV probably the happiest to see Demar and Casey leave.

Comment

• Who's up for JV shooting more 3's this year? I'd like to to see it go up to 4-5 attempts. Is this something Nurse envision for him?

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                          Who's up for JV shooting more 3's this year? I'd like to to see it go up to 4-5 attempts. Is this something Nurse envision for him?
                          If Raps can play 4 shooters around JV, id much rather him attack the offensive boards. If you are going to play him a lot, I think you have to take advantage of him on the glass. Plus it delays offenses from leaking out, gives time for the defense to setup.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                            Who's up for JV shooting more 3's this year? I'd like to to see it go up to 4-5 attempts. Is this something Nurse envision for him?
                            4-5 is probably too many for an average.

I'm hoping for 2+ attempts. Maybe closer to 3 if he's doing really well.

To put another way, last year he averaged 8.9 FGA/game with just 1 of those coming from deep. How many more shots will he actually get under Nurse? His minutes and role will increase, but he's still not a primary option. Probably put up something in the low teens for FGAs, in the ballpark between maybe 12-14 FGA/game (?). Do you want all of those extra shots coming from long range?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              ,,,Do you want all of those extra shots coming from long range?
                              two - three from long range is great if he can keep his % up. Nobody cheating off of him, leaving the paint open for cutters. Of which the Raps now have a few.
                              Last edited by Puffer; Sun Jul 22, 2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                With Poeltl, Bebe and Casey no longer here I could see JV averaging over 30mpg. Of course we could still get a 4th big, but at this point I can't see JV averaging in the low 20's like he did in previous years.
                                I'm optimistic for JV but teams really do target him in the pick and roll. If his defense doesn't improve I don't know that he'll get that much more run this year, especially because we have such a full rotation.

I could see something like this:

Guards
                                Kyle 32 / FVV 20 / Green 24 / Delon 20

Forwards + center
                                Kawhi 32 / OG 24 / Pascal 24 / Serge 24/ JV 24 / CJ 16

With Norm getting spot minutes replacing CJ/Green or injured players.

Comment

Working...
                                X