Likes Likes:  3,795

View Poll Results: Grade Valanciunas' Season

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    57 27.94%
  • B

    106 51.96%
  • C

    37 18.14%
  • D

    1 0.49%
  • F

    3 1.47%
Page 608 of 610 FirstFirst ... 108 508 558 598 606 607 608 609 610 LastLast
Results 12,141 to 12,160 of 12182

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

  1. #12141
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15,826
    Likes (Given)
    4144
    Likes (Received)
    7206

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    The toughness JV provides is a vastly overlooked skill. Impossible to quantify by stats, but painfully obvious to see with the eye test.
    Jv is a "big game" player. Serge was a big part of a finals run. We all know Danny and kawhis resumes. I feel good knowing Lowry is now surrounded by super confident players. No offense to the demars and the "open look, I'm shook" Patterson or t ross' of the world..
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

  2. #12142
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,074
    Likes (Given)
    1007
    Likes (Received)
    3585

    Default

    A few years ago Dwane Casey said, in reference to JV: "the days of the center has gone by." That wasn't just Casey's opinion, in fact it still is the prevailing notion in the NBA these days.

    But a funny thing has happened this year. If you look at impact stats, i.e. PIPM, you notice that 7 of the top 20 impact players in the NBA this season are centers. Even more interesting is that all of those guys have good to great defensive impact stats.



    Earlier in the season, Serge Ibaka was hailed for transitioning to the prototypical mobile, stretch 5, rim protecting unicorn center for the modern NBA, but it's become painfully obvious that we need JV's size, toughness and finishing ability to compete at a high level. In Nurse's 'jazz solo' offense, JV is one of the few guys who can consistently create his own efficient shot and he cleans up misses which would be even more important with FVV & Wright conducting the offense way out of rhythm.

    Chr1s1anL: where you @?

  3. Likes DerozansSpurs liked this post
  4. #12143
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    A few years ago Dwane Casey said, in reference to JV: "the days of the center has gone by." That wasn't just Casey's opinion, in fact it still is the prevailing notion in the NBA these days.

    But a funny thing has happened this year. If you look at impact stats, i.e. PIPM, you notice that 7 of the top 20 impact players in the NBA this season are centers. Even more interesting is that all of those guys have good to great defensive impact stats.



    Earlier in the season, Serge Ibaka was hailed for transitioning to the prototypical mobile, stretch 5, rim protecting unicorn center for the modern NBA, but it's become painfully obvious that we need JV's size, toughness and finishing ability to compete at a high level. In Nurse's 'jazz solo' offense, JV is one of the few guys who can consistently create his own efficient shot and he cleans up misses which would be even more important with FVV & Wright conducting the offense way out of rhythm.

    Chr1s1anL: where you @?
    The other thing about Nurse's offence is even if you want your players to read and react, you need the defence to move to give them something to react to, and there is one tried and true method for making the defence move - setting a screen. And JV is by a couple orders of magnitude the best screen setter (and threat after a screen) on the team. The raw talent of Lowry and Kawhi has led the team to great success regardless, but take one out and we're seeing how much the offence has relied on that, and without JV there, we're seeing how ugly the offence can get without those two papering over the issues and without real screen actions to move the defence around.

  5. #12144
    Raptors Republic Veteran consmap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8,552
    Likes (Given)
    2361
    Likes (Received)
    2323

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    A few years ago Dwane Casey said, in reference to JV: "the days of the center has gone by." That wasn't just Casey's opinion, in fact it still is the prevailing notion in the NBA these days.

    But a funny thing has happened this year. If you look at impact stats, i.e. PIPM, you notice that 7 of the top 20 impact players in the NBA this season are centers. Even more interesting is that all of those guys have good to great defensive impact stats.



    Earlier in the season, Serge Ibaka was hailed for transitioning to the prototypical mobile, stretch 5, rim protecting unicorn center for the modern NBA, but it's become painfully obvious that we need JV's size, toughness and finishing ability to compete at a high level. In Nurse's 'jazz solo' offense, JV is one of the few guys who can consistently create his own efficient shot and he cleans up misses which would be even more important with FVV & Wright conducting the offense way out of rhythm.

    Chr1s1anL: where you @?
    Jonas is our bass player in the quintet. Come back soon big fella
    OG is our king

  6. #12145
    Raptors Republic Starter BadDinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    448
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    93

    Default

    Any news on how far along JV's healing is? Any timetable for his return to action? Practice at least? Anybody?

  7. #12146
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,623
    Likes (Given)
    1818
    Likes (Received)
    2543

    Default

    Quote BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    Any news on how far along JV's healing is? Any timetable for his return to action? Practice at least? Anybody?
    On Jan 2nd, there was a report that he was still 3-4 weeks away. So if we assume 3 weeks, he'll be back around Jan 23rd. We play Indiana on the road that day (second game of B2B though). Perhaps the 25th against the Rockets on the road.

    If we go by 4 weeks, that would be Jan 30th. We play the Mavs on the 27th at home, and the Bucks on the 30th at home. So if 4 weeks, than possibly one of those games.

  8. #12147
    Raptors Republic Starter BadDinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    448
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    93

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    On Jan 2nd, there was a report that he was still 3-4 weeks away. So if we assume 3 weeks, he'll be back around Jan 23rd. We play Indiana on the road that day (second game of B2B though). Perhaps the 25th against the Rockets on the road.

    If we go by 4 weeks, that would be Jan 30th. We play the Mavs on the 27th at home, and the Bucks on the 30th at home. So if 4 weeks, than possibly one of those games.
    Many thanks for this very complete reply.

  9. Likes planetmars liked this post
  10. #12148
    Raptors Republic Superstar Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Likes (Given)
    1248
    Likes (Received)
    1226

    Default

    Quote BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    Many thanks for this very complete reply.
    the only problem was, and I forget the article, but Nurse commented that JV was ahead of schedule because they were initially told 8-12 weeks. That's the first time I heard those numbers

  11. #12149
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,623
    Likes (Given)
    1818
    Likes (Received)
    2543

    Default

    Quote BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    Many thanks for this very complete reply.
    I read the schedule wrong. We play the Mavs on the 27th on the road (not at home). And the Bucks on the 31st at home (not the 30th).

  12. #12150
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    There were reports that JV is now getting up shots wearing only a wrap on his thumb, and off the court has no wrap at all on it. So it's a strengthening exercise at this point.

  13. #12151
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,754
    Likes (Given)
    3868
    Likes (Received)
    1440

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    There were reports that JV is now getting up shots wearing only a wrap on his thumb, and off the court has no wrap at all on it. So it's a strengthening exercise at this point.
    Great news. It won't be hard to integrate him back into the lineup. Kawhi's passing seems to have moved upwards a step. Maybe he trusts his teammates more. Will be great for JV as a recipient, and I bet he can't wait to start setting picks for KL, both of them.

  14. #12152
    Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,740
    Likes (Given)
    3970
    Likes (Received)
    4182

    Default



    Probably won't see him again till after the All Star Break, which sucks. Also means he is a little less likely to be traded.

  15. #12153
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    So I guess that wrap the beat guys saw was a splint.

  16. #12154
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11,568
    Likes (Given)
    1768
    Likes (Received)
    3358

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post


    Probably won't see him again till after the All Star Break, which sucks. Also means he is a little less likely to be traded.



    makes sense now
    First Team All Nonsense

  17. #12155
    Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,740
    Likes (Given)
    3970
    Likes (Received)
    4182

    Default

    Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post



    makes sense now
    JV is hilarious. I really do hope he's here for life.

  18. #12156
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11,568
    Likes (Given)
    1768
    Likes (Received)
    3358

    Default



    lmaooo
    First Team All Nonsense

  19. #12157
    Raptors Republic Veteran Jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,414
    Likes (Given)
    221
    Likes (Received)
    812

    Default

    Loving the dedication JV! Keep at it!

  20. #12158
    Raptors Republic All-Star GOLDBLUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,285
    Likes (Given)
    2089
    Likes (Received)
    1010

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    JV is hilarious. I really do hope he's here for life.
    Apparently Quinlan Palmer and company don't share your enthusiasm...




  21. #12159
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,249
    Likes (Given)
    196
    Likes (Received)
    389

    Default

    Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post


    lmaooo
    Risked their lives and PAID! Haha... "Most disappointed in my life", well you're having a pretty good life then, cheers to that. Jeez, these terrible problems poor people are experiencing daily...
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

  22. #12160
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    14,809
    Likes (Given)
    5138
    Likes (Received)
    9067

    Default

    I mean, that does suck for those kids, but it's likely JV had no idea there were consequences to working out on the court. In all likelihood stuff like this happens quite often and I'll bet they never tell the players.

    No NBA team is going to send a staffer over to tell one of the athletes to get off the court to make room for post-warm-up entertainment.

  23. Likes GOLDBLUM liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •