The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine wrote: View Post
    I loved Wildlands too. Playing coop you can have some pretty unique epic moments in that game. Alotta fun. Plus I love stealth games and planning and executing your approach

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Joey wrote: View Post
    Would highly recommend Ghost Recon: Wildlands then ... really great game if you have a buddy (or 3) to play through with. No bullet sponge bullshit like Division.

Haven't played Siege, but have heard really good things, just not huge into Online-Multiplayer games.
    You guys have sold me on it. Was always a fan of the Ghost Recon series, Tom Clancy games in general.

Loved Splinter Cell: Blacklist when I had it for the X360. Fantastic graphics and that game was pure. But.. without Michael Ironside, voicing it, it was tough.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
      You guys have sold me on it. Was always a fan of the Ghost Recon series, Tom Clancy games in general.

Loved Splinter Cell: Blacklist when I had it for the X360. Fantastic graphics and that game was pure. But.. without Michael Ironside, voicing it, it was tough.
      Yeah Splinter Cell Choas Theory is my fav stealth game of all time. Tho I did love blacklist

Comment

Yeah Splinter Cell Choas Theory is my fav stealth game of all time. Tho I did love blacklist

messed up the pic
        Last edited by Miekenstien; Fri Aug 17, 2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          Metal Gear Solid 4 was imo the most complete Metal Gear experience. You had the modern gameplay, stealth camouflage, tons of customization and weapons, and the story and cinematics were top notch. Easily imo the best game of last gen, it was so ahead of its time. I will never forgive Konami for destroying my fav series of all time smh

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

messed up the pic
            Could never get into metal gear. Movement, gameplay and sound was wonky and was just a bit weird to me. Things like putting yourself in a cardboard box out of nowhere just breaks immersion for me. Splinter Cell was leagues better but just my opinion and preference. I know alotta people are into MGS.

Comment

Could never get into metal gear. Movement, gameplay and sound was wonky and was just a bit weird to me. Things like putting yourself in a cardboard box out of nowhere just breaks immersion for me. Splinter Cell was leagues better but just my opinion and preference. I know alotta people are into MGS.
              I'm in the same boat, never felt comfortable playing the game. Played a few levels of the one game (see, can't even remember) that was like... 12 hours long. It was one of the newer ones.

But, in its defence, it was right after I came off playing Blacklist, and I was looking for other stealth shooters.

Comment

I'm in the same boat, never felt comfortable playing the game. Played a few levels of the one game (see, can't even remember) that was like... 12 hours long. It was one of the newer ones.

But, in its defence, it was right after I came off playing Blacklist, and I was looking for other stealth shooters.
                Metal Gear is the godfather of stealth games. Play 1-5 and you'll see the evolution of one of the greatest gaming franchises of all time. Forget the gameplay for the first 3 cause it has aged horribly. The story is on another level, making a game like blacklist is easy any game dev can make that. Metal Gear has a ridiculously deep story, there's literally a massive metal gear encyclopedia with hundreds of pages of lore.

This is coming from a guy who loves stealth games and played through all of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear. Splinter Cell, especially the first 3 were really fucking good games definitely one of my fav stealth games ever. Metal Gear however is better because of how well its written. MGS 4 has really good tactical 3rd person gameplay, and MGS5 gameplay wise blows any stealth game out of the water. MGS5 however suffered from a rushed development resulting in a very mediocre story compared to the others.

Comment

First 3 aged badly, if you just play and adapt you'll fall in love guaranteed. The story is just that good, all the characters are memorable and badass. I love Splinter Cell but the experience is not even close to the same, Splinter Cell is a very good stealth game and is very fun. Where as Metal Gear is best described as an experience, something that you don't just play for fun cause its a game but you listen to the dialogue and watch the story unfold into something spectacular. Also the cardboard box thing actually isn't that out of place in the games because of how many boxes there actually are laying around. But after the first and maybe second one they just kept it in the game as it became a staple and its funny. Every game has its own quirks.

Maybe its just the gap between being a casual gamer and a more hardcore one. If you're the type to just want to play a game and have fun, and not want to immerse yourself into a totally different world then you probably won't enjoy it. Its definitely a commitment getting into the Metal Gear franchise, just like any uber popular franchise.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    First 3 aged badly, if you just play and adapt you'll fall in love guaranteed. The story is just that good, all the characters are memorable and badass. I love Splinter Cell but the experience is not even close to the same, Splinter Cell is a very good stealth game and is very fun. Where as Metal Gear is best described as an experience, something that you don't just play for fun cause its a game but you listen to the dialogue and watch the story unfold into something spectacular. Also the cardboard box thing actually isn't that out of place in the games because of how many boxes there actually are laying around. But after the first and maybe second one they just kept it in the game as it became a staple and its funny. Every game has its own quirks.

Maybe its just the gap between being a casual gamer and a more hardcore one. If you're the type to just want to play a game and have fun, and not want to immerse yourself into a totally different world then you probably won't enjoy it. Its definitely a commitment getting into the Metal Gear franchise, just like any uber popular franchise.
                    Also to add to this. Every time I finish a Metal Gear game, I had to sit down and just process wtf just happened. I'd be thinking about it for days and brainstorming different directions the story could go in. No other series has made me do that, it really makes you fall in love with it. It's difficult to explain how damn good the story is man, something I'll never forget.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post

I think that is a good explanation of metal gear solid. 2 is my favourite because it was the first "stealth" game I played. I also really liked the boss fights, and after a particularly difficult one always felt a sense of accomplishment that I never got from splinter cell.

That said, the feeling of grabbing some dude and pulling into an alley to incapacitate him while his security partner is still in mid sentence is always super fun. Makes you feel like Rambo.

Comment

• Has anyone here ever played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, or II: The Sith Lords?

Just found out that it was backwards compatible and started playing it on my Xbox One. The best way to describe the experience, is like, Mass Effect, but good/bad decisions affect your influence and the direction of the game. Light side vs. Dark side, basically.

Build relationships with characters, a ton of awesome character development, customization with accessories, weapons, and of course, while limited, fighting mechanics and cool character builds.

Personally, I think it was a game way ahead of its time in the early 2000's.

Ya'll should pick it up if you have PC -- I could finish one game and start another and play a different story, and amass different characters.

KOTOR I is more of a point A to point B game, while KOTOR II has an incredible experience from decision-making, and enhanced gameplay and customization.

Shit, I could go on and on about this game!

Comment

Has anyone here ever played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, or II: The Sith Lords?

Just found out that it was backwards compatible and started playing it on my Xbox One. The best way to describe the experience, is like, Mass Effect, but good/bad decisions affect your influence and the direction of the game. Light side vs. Dark side, basically.

Build relationships with characters, a ton of awesome character development, customization with accessories, weapons, and of course, while limited, fighting mechanics and cool character builds.

Personally, I think it was a game way ahead of its time in the early 2000's.

Ya'll should pick it up if you have PC -- I could finish one game and start another and play a different story, and amass different characters.

KOTOR I is more of a point A to point B game, while KOTOR II has an incredible experience from decision-making, and enhanced gameplay and customization.

Shit, I could go on and on about this game!
                          I loved those games. The original KOTOR is the sole reason I bought an Xbox back then, as I already had a PS2 but then became exclusively Xbox for that generation of console.

The games were fantastic with a story line so good that they actually released a novel series to finish the story arc.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            I loved those games. The original KOTOR is the sole reason I bought an Xbox back then, as I already had a PS2 but then became exclusively Xbox for that generation of console.

The games were fantastic with a story line so good that they actually released a novel series to finish the story arc.
                            Yeah, I heard about that book -- "Revan," if I'm not mistaken?

*SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*

Apparently, there's a much larger story and history that follows after the second game. I always wonder where Revan left to go. I heard rumours that it was a Sith Lord?

*SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*
                            *SPOILER ALERT*

Comment

Yeah, I heard about that book -- "Revan," if I'm not mistaken?

*SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*

Apparently, there's a much larger story and history that follows after the second game. I always wonder where Revan left to go. I heard rumours that it was a Sith Lord?

*SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              *SPOILER ALERT*
                              I’ve read the books and it is the story after the second game. It’s pretty good but has a weak ending.

How far into KOTOR are you?
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                I’ve read the books and it is the story after the second game. It’s pretty good but has a weak ending.

How far into KOTOR are you?
                                In terms of the game? I've finished both KOTOR I and KOTOR II's entire gameplay and story, light side, dark side, male or female.

Personally, my favourite is KOTOR II, with the influence aspect and detail behind building the relationship, reviving your connection with the force, etc.

Fav build is = female -> jedi guardian -> jedi master in KOTOR II.

What about you?

Comment

Working...
                                X