Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    going to buy an nba game this year. first in a decade. live, or 2k? thanks
    2K, by far. It's crazy that they have a monopoly on basketball games. It's rare to hear of someone re-thinking the purchase of 2K over Live.

In fact, never heard of it.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
      2K, by far. It's crazy that they have a monopoly on basketball games. It's rare to hear of someone re-thinking the purchase of 2K over Live.

In fact, never heard of it.
      I did last year. Got totally sick of 2k and the micro transactions and the crappy community. I bought live last year, and really I had a lot of fun. It’s definitely not as good of a game but I was able to enjoy it way more than I would 2k. Probably not gonna buy a basketball game this year. Maybe at Christmas when they go on sale.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
        I did last year. Got totally sick of 2k and the micro transactions and the crappy community. I bought live last year, and really I had a lot of fun. It’s definitely not as good of a game but I was able to enjoy it way more than I would 2k. Probably not gonna buy a basketball game this year. Maybe at Christmas when they go on sale.
        I have been a massive 2k supporter since 2k12 but yeah that piece of junk they released last year pissed me off. Anyone that plays online knows what I mean. The gameplay was also completely messed up and the complete opposite of the way the game is played today. They had such reliance on big men and shooting became so much more unreliable. It was complete trash. And they always have server issues but 2k18 was basically unplayable. Plus the grinding and reliance on VC was brought to outrageous levels in 2k18. I've heard they fixed a lot of issues for 2k19 but this is the first time I have been pissed off enough to not preorder and I am waiting for more reliable reviews and not the shills they hire on youtube to hype up the game every year.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
          Interesting! To be fair, NBA Live was my personal fav. I had both NBA Live 2006 and NBA 2K6, and I preferred Live. Live was my go-to all the way until 2010, when Dwight was on the cover. I loved it so much, I traded in Modern Warfare I and NBA 2K10 to get the game (which I feel terrible about to this day because my dad got those two games for my birthday, but was totally happy that I got to get the game I really wanted in the end).

Then, no Live, and Michael Jordan appeared on the cover of 2K11.... and we all know how that goes from here.

Comment

• I play sports games for franchise mode. 2k does a good job with whatever they call that.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              I play sports games for franchise mode. 2k does a good job with whatever they call that.
              MyLeague? I play it for that reason too. I get into MyPlayer at the start, but what keeps me playing the game constantly is building my own team, staff, scouting for the draft, etc. It's too damn fun to play with hypothetical scenarios and try to play them out.

I'm going nerd mode here, but I managed a starting lineup of Fred VanVleet, Jonathan Simmons, Kawhi Leonard, Dwight Powell, and Joel Embiid. A bench of Tyler Ulis, Kyle Korver, P.J. Tucker, Tobias Harris, and Zhou Qi has me buggin. Playing with the Utah Jazz right now. Won a chip, and now starting the season 18-3 (those 3 losses were simulated hehe). This is still 2K18, btw.

I never buy the new 2K until boxing day when it's $20 bucks cheaper.

Comment

• Ok so after my big rant about 2k18 I finally decided to bite the bullet on 2k19 and have had some hands on time with it.

I'll give the bad news first. The VC gouge is even worse this year and leveling up is still an impossible grind. If you want to level yourself up to level 87 in mycareer or mypark you will need to spend $90 on the game (in canada) and $91 on top of that for extra VC (taxes included for both) for a grand total of $181. Needless to say that is fucking pathetic. Otherwise you'll be lucky to get to 87 before next years game comes out let alone try to grind for 99. You need VC for basically everything in MyCareer and mypark. Don't even get me started on my team. VC is a huge huge problem in 2k. They are getting out of control.

Ok now for the good news. It's by far the best basketball game I have ever played. The grinding for badges is not nearly as bad as last year. Everything wrong with the gameplay last year has been fixed this year. I can't say enough good things about the gameplay. Very smooth. Defense is amazing and the ball feels like a completely separate object and is not stuck in canned animations attached to players hands. This game has the least amount of online lag that I have ever experienced in a 2k game. And that has always been an issue though some years are better than others. 2k18 was the worst. Im very impressed this year. I have had zero glitches or bugs in the park so far and that is actually saying alot compared to previous years. There's a long list of small things that have made the experience so much better but I am picky and most people probably won't care so I won't bore you. For people that love myGM mode, sorry I haven't touched it yet. The story in mycareer is actually pretty good so far. Last year it was fucking unbearable with certain characters grinding on your ears right from the start. Plus you can actually skip the cut scenes finally!

If you don't mind a horrible grind or you are willing to pay a lot of money then I highly recommend the game cause there has never been a better basketball game.

Otherwise, we should probably be boycotting companies like this for these horrible microtransaction practices. However, I finally have a bball game I can enjoy this year after a full year of hating 2k's guts so I'm willing to grind and pay a little extra. Maybe I'll boycott next year.

Comment

• Machine wrote: View Post
                  Ok so after my big rant about 2k18 I finally decided to bite the bullet on 2k19 and have had some hands on time with it.

I'll give the bad news first. The VC gouge is even worse this year and leveling up is still an impossible grind. If you want to level yourself up to level 87 in mycareer or mypark you will need to spend $90 on the game (in canada) and $91 on top of that for extra VC (taxes included for both) for a grand total of $181. Needless to say that is fucking pathetic. Otherwise you'll be lucky to get to 87 before next years game comes out let alone try to grind for 99. You need VC for basically everything in MyCareer and mypark. Don't even get me started on my team. VC is a huge huge problem in 2k. They are getting out of control.

Ok now for the good news. It's by far the best basketball game I have ever played. The grinding for badges is not nearly as bad as last year. Everything wrong with the gameplay last year has been fixed this year. I can't say enough good things about the gameplay. Very smooth. Defense is amazing and the ball feels like a completely separate object and is not stuck in canned animations attached to players hands. This game has the least amount of online lag that I have ever experienced in a 2k game. And that has always been an issue though some years are better than others. 2k18 was the worst. Im very impressed this year. I have had zero glitches or bugs in the park so far and that is actually saying alot compared to previous years. There's a long list of small things that have made the experience so much better but I am picky and most people probably won't care so I won't bore you. For people that love myGM mode, sorry I haven't touched it yet. The story in mycareer is actually pretty good so far. Last year it was fucking unbearable with certain characters grinding on your ears right from the start. Plus you can actually skip the cut scenes finally!

If you don't mind a horrible grind or you are willing to pay a lot of money then I highly recommend the game cause there has never been a better basketball game.

Otherwise, we should probably be boycotting companies like this for these horrible microtransaction practices. However, I finally have a bball game I can enjoy this year after a full year of hating 2k's guts so I'm willing to grind and pay a little extra. Maybe I'll boycott next year.

Yah I primarily play my team. The pay to win is just so infuriating because I refuse to spend more than the game costs just to win. In NBA live you can get a solid team in my team with some legends and such if you play for a bit. The grind isn’t too bad and there’s no reason to put any real money into it. That’s what a video game should be.

Comment

• I am enjoying 2k19. Took me 5 games to get a win. Timing on jumpshots is still a work in progress, but the rest I have figured out.

The my career was dumb to me. I think that is a feature set towards more experienced players than me.

I started an expansion team, sucked I couldn't choose any city so Montreal is home to the flying frenchmen. Got lucky with a logo that fit very well. Drafted people that gave me a lot of cap room, created myself, and paid him 25 million for 4 years.

Enjoying the game, don't feel I am ready for online play. Just moved up from pro to all star, I think. I assume you 2k vets play on hall of fame?
                    Last edited by Miekenstien; Tue Oct 2, 2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I am enjoying 2k19. Took me 5 games to get a win. Timing on jumpshots is still a work in progress, but the rest I have figured out.

The my career was dumb to me. I think that is a feature set towards more experienced players than me.

I started an expansion team, ducked I couldn't choose any city so Montreal is home to the flying frenchmen. Got mucky with a logo that fit very well. Drafted people that gave me a lot of cap room, created myself, and paid him 25 million for 4 years.

Enjoying the game, don't feel I am ready for online play. Just moved up from pro to all star, I think. I assume you 2k vets play on hall of fame?
                      Re: Bolded - Fuck that. Lol I just mess with the sliders until I find a balance that I find enjoyable.
                      Playing on Hall of Fame just makes it so your guys are incapable of hitting layups, and every pass goes right to the other team. It's more frustrating than it is "challenging", in my opinion.

Comment

I am enjoying 2k19. Took me 5 games to get a win. Timing on jumpshots is still a work in progress, but the rest I have figured out.

I started an expansion team, sucked I couldn't choose any city so Montreal is home to the flying frenchmen. Got lucky with a logo that fit very well. Drafted people that gave me a lot of cap room, created myself, and paid him 25 million for 4 years.

I mostly play online so I don't worry about CPU difficulty much. I only play mycareer out of necessity for the most part. In fact, it used to make more sense to change mycareer difficulty to rookie so you could level up faster. But I don't think you can change mycareer difficulty anymore and it is set at Pro.

Comment

Previous games, I've played superstar and or adjusted the sliders like Joey to match the experience. I feel the game is default to move too slowly in comparison to real life.

I play hall of fame when I'm playing against friends at home -- murk em' by +20

Comment

• The best way to stop VC is to not buy VC. Any AAA game with progression funneled through paywalls like a cheap ass free to play mobile game is not getting my money. Its why I didn't even consider NBA2K18 until the actual NBA playoffs when it was marked down by 70% or 80% and of course they aren't getting a penny out of me for VC.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              The best way to stop VC is to not buy VC. Any AAA game with progression funneled through paywalls like a cheap ass free to play mobile game is not getting my money. Its why I didn't even consider NBA2K18 until the actual NBA playoffs when it was marked down by 70% or 80% and of course they aren't getting a penny out of me for VC.
                              I buy all the games new, and never buy VC. Maximize incentive for the game being made, minimize incentive for the in-game purchases.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                I buy all the games new, and never buy VC. Maximize incentive for the game being made, minimize incentive for the in-game purchases.
                                Fair enough but NBA 2K is their bread and butter. If people say we hate VC and then don't buy the game then they will quickly change. There are many examples of this. Essentially we're all voting with our dollars.

Comment

Working...
                                X