The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I buy all the games new, and never buy VC. Maximize incentive for the game being made, minimize incentive for the in-game purchases.
    IMO by buying the game you’re telling 2k that you are ok with an unfinished game. You are supporting their broken, unfair product. That’s my opinion though, and that’s why I’m not going to buy a 2k game again until the micro transactions become completely unnecessary.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      I buy all the games new, and never buy VC. Maximize incentive for the game being made, minimize incentive for the in-game purchases.
      Apollo wrote: View Post
      Fair enough but NBA 2K is their bread and butter. If people say we hate VC and then don't buy the game then they will quickly change. There are many examples of this. Essentially we're all voting with our dollars.
      Maury wrote: View Post
      IMO by buying the game you’re telling 2k that you are ok with an unfinished game. You are supporting their broken, unfair product. That’s my opinion though, and that’s why I’m not going to buy a 2k game again until the micro transactions become completely unnecessary.
      i am a hearthstone player, i buy pack bundles when they are advertised. these types of micro transactions i don't mind, because they allow me to have more fun, by winning, and if you have time you can just grind them out.

i don't see how pay to win helps in online basketball when you are using rosters of players that are actual players. how does pay to win help in 2k basketball? can you buy speed boosts? accuracy improvements? extra millisecond on excellent shoot release?

i also don't mind buying a game, and then paying for expansions. i have yet to pay for an expansion that didn't add actual value to my game. the fallout expansions were all really fun.

i never play those wait 3 hours for something to build or buy it now games. imagine warcraft 2 or 3 where you can quick build your dragon roost in 1 second for 1 dollar. haha. what a shitty game that would be. revive your illidan in 1 second for 1 dollar.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
        i am a hearthstone player, i buy pack bundles when they are advertised. these types of micro transactions i don't mind, because they allow me to have more fun, by winning, and if you have time you can just grind them out.

i don't see how pay to win helps in online basketball when you are using rosters of players that are actual players. how does pay to win help in 2k basketball? can you buy speed boosts? accuracy improvements? extra millisecond on excellent shoot release?

i also don't mind buying a game, and then paying for expansions. i have yet to pay for an expansion that didn't add actual value to my game. the fallout expansions were all really fun.

i never play those wait 3 hours for something to build or buy it now games. imagine warcraft 2 or 3 where you can quick build your dragon roost in 1 second for 1 dollar. haha. what a shitty game that would be. revive your illidan in 1 second for 1 dollar.
        The two main online game modes are essentially pay to win.

My team is a gamemode where you open packs to unlock players that you use on a team. You can collect legends and such and say for example have a team with all of your favourite players of all time. It used to be possible to build such a team if you put a fair amount of time into it. Now, the packs have such bad percentages for good players that you need to buy a bunch of them just to roll out a passable team.

My player is the epitome of pay to win. You start with a fully customized player but their overall rating is something like 65 and you need to use virtual currency earned from playing the game to upgrade his skills. The only problem is that the rate at which you earn these points is ridiculous. If you play a fair amount you might have a 75 overall player in 6 months, while all the people that decided to drop another $100 will have a 95+ overall in minutes.

Comment

I don't mind paying for DLC if it's good content, such as new quests and or worlds you see in Zelda, Dark Souls, Elder's Scrolls and Fallout. 2K is not giving you new experiences. What they've done is ratchet down player progression so low that it would take a person the time investment of a full-time job to get their player to the point where it can compete with pay to win gamers. For the record, I'm fine with pay to win... Just not in a game you have to purchase for $80 CAD. It's a slimy practice but I like some myGM or whatever the hell they call it and so I don't mind paying under $30 just for that mode. I'll never buy one of these games above that price point though because I'm only going to play this one mode because I'm against pay to win sales funnels in a premium game.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            I don't mind paying for DLC if it's good content, such as new quests and or worlds you see in Zelda, Dark Souls, Elder's Scrolls and Fallout. 2K is not giving you new experiences. What they've done is ratchet down player progression so low that it would take a person the time investment of a full-time job to get their player to the point where it can compete with pay to win gamers. For the record, I'm fine with pay to win... Just not in a game you have to purchase for $80 CAD. It's a slimy practice but I like some myGM or whatever the hell they call it and so I don't mind paying under $30 just for that mode.
            assume you are talking to someone completely ignorant of what you are talking about. how do you have player progression in a team sports game. here is how i think online basketball works. i choose the raptors, and i have a chess like rating of 1500. the computer then lines me up with someone else who is around my range and we play. if i win my rating goes up, and if i lose it goes down, so i am always playing someone near enough my skill level.

i assume that i can't take my 6'10, 99, rating, shooting guard i made, because danny green pissed me off so he was traded to dump salary, into online play.

Comment

assume you are talking to someone completely ignorant of what you are talking about. how do you have player progression in a team sports game. here is how i think online basketball works. i choose the raptors, and i have a chess like rating of 1500. the computer then lines me up with someone else who is around my range and we play. if i win my rating goes up, and if i lose it goes down, so i am always playing someone near enough my skill level.

i assume that i can't take my 6'10, 99, rating, shooting guard i made, because danny green pissed me off so he was traded to dump salary, into online play.
              2K's most popular mode, it's most immersive mode, the mode they clearly put most of the effort into is myPlayer. In this mode you create a player and guide this player to the NBA and build a career. It's like a basketball RPG, only in this RPG they've reduced EXP and are selling VC as a way to level up at a reasonable rate.

Edit: It would be like if Bethesda lowered the exp in Skyrim or FO4 by 75% and then sold VC to level your character or buy new weapons/gear. People would lose their shit.
              Last edited by Apollo; Thu Oct 4, 2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

2K's most popular mode, it's most immersive mode, the mode they clearly put most of the effort into is myPlayer. In this mode you create a player and guide this player to the NBA and build a career. It's like a basketball RPG, only in this RPG they've reduced EXP and are selling VC as a way to level up at a reasonable rate.
                i see. that was the part of the game i said before that wasn't for me. i just want to punk young kids with transition 3s

Comment

i see. that was the part of the game i said before that wasn't for me. i just want to punk young kids with transition 3s
                  Yeah, you're fine. I like myPlayer mode though. I play these games for that and to be a GM and create a Raptors dynasty seeing how that's the only way we're gonna win Chips; with me at the helm... Sorry Ujiri, I like ya, I do.

But myPlayer should be renamed myCreditCardForYou2KBecause80DollarsWasntEnoughApp arently

Comment

Yeah, you're fine. I like myPlayer mode though. I play these games for that and to be a GM and create a Raptors dynasty seeing how that's the only way we're gonna win Chips; with me at the helm... Sorry Ujiri, I like ya, I do.

But myPlayer should be renamed myCreditCardForYou2KBecause80DollarsWasntEnoughApp arently
                    I play MyPlayer almost exclusively, have never paid a cent for VC. The games are fine as they are (for me), hence my messaging to 2K being "it's fine at full price, but don't expect VC purchases from me." Heck, I want a long grind to improve my player - that's the point of the mode, progressing as you go through your career.

Now, I don't play online, and I could see why that would be an issue for players who do. No argument there. But I can only base my purchase decisions on my own gaming.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Anyone play Rainbow Six Siege on Xbox One here?

Been trying to find some buddies to jump on with, but, nobody likes playing the 'search-&-destroy' games anymore.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                        Anyone play Rainbow Six Siege on Xbox One here?

Been trying to find some buddies to jump on with, but, nobody likes playing the 'search-&-destroy' games anymore.
                        One of my fav games but playing 2k and rise of the tomb raider right now. Then cod blackout when it comes out. Then red dead 2. Fuck, there are too many games this time of year.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• machine wrote: View Post
                          one of my fav games but playing 2k and rise of the tomb raider right now. Then cod blackout when it comes out. Then red dead 2. Fuck, there are too many games this time of year.

Sent from my sm-n960w using tapatalk
                          play rainbow six with me machine. You know you want to brotha.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Machine wrote: View Post
                            One of my fav games but playing 2k and rise of the tomb raider right now. Then cod blackout when it comes out. Then red dead 2. Fuck, there are too many games this time of year.

can't wait for red dead 2

Comment

can't wait for red dead 2
                              Agreed.

I also forgot about Forza Horizon 4. That game is amazing so far. I can't wait to see what the Playground devs can do with an open world game like Fable. I have high expectations for that game with them at the helm.

Comment

• So I haven't been playing much of anything lately but I'm getting Dark Souls Remastered next week for Switch. I really enjoy the Souls series and I opted to wait for the Switch version instead of springing for the PS4 or PC versions. Its something really appealing to me about having a massive RPG adventure game portable. I tried it for Switch during the network test and it ran a little better than the original PS3 version and definitely looked a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                                X