No announcement yet.

The NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This scenario, where the backup is needed for more than just back to backs, is precisely the scenario where a younger goalie should pay off. Good to see Sparks have a good game last night to put his first game jitters behind him. Helps that the defence was (somewhat) better in front of him. More clean looks at the puck, even if he still saw 30+.

Notice Marleau had a similar goal to the 5th Sparks one from last game. He was closer, but the deciding factor was the same - the defence gave him as much time as he wanted to freeze the goalie and handcuff him, and then he fired it home against a paralyzed tender.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      In a "what have you done for me lately" business like pro sports if Garrets next start is a good one and a win....The herd will move on to the next real or imagined leafs topic du jour. I'd like to see how he does over his next 10 or so games.
      Sparks seems to havce justified my lack of worry. Great game against LA.

Toronto is good in net.

Comment

• Watching this slow moving soap opera that is the William Nylander contract negotiation highlights just how little leverage NHL players have. It’s way better than the infamous C cards of generations ago but Nylander is pretty much hooped as an RFA.

The unwritten agreement is that no one will put an offer sheet in front of him so it’s the Leafs or nuthin. And if he holds out beyond Dec 1 ..it’s groundhog day and the whole scenario repeats next year with the added kick in the nuts that he can’t play this year for anyone.

So he loses a year in the league. He loses a few million dollars that he will never get back and he loses a chance at a big playoff run. The Leafs..well they don’t lose much. The rink is always full. Ratings never decline and they are winning.

Lots written and only the negotiating parties know for sure but the puck heads are saying Nylander wants Driesital money at 8.5$ (yet another clumsy mistake by the oilers to add to their litany of bad moves) and the Leafs are saying we will pay you Pasternak money at 6.5$.

The Leafs aren’t moving off that number ..maybe they go close to 7..but I doubt it.

So Willy needs to decide inside of 30 days...does he take 6/38$ or maybe 2/13$ or sit at home for a year and do this all over again.
        Betting he signs the short term or bridge deal.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Oct 26, 2018, 10:03 AM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

Watching this slow moving soap opera that is the William Nylander contract negotiation highlights just how little leverage NHL players have. It’s way better than the infamous C cards of generations ago but Nylander is pretty much hooped as an RFA.

The unwritten agreement is that no one will put an offer sheet in front of him so it’s the Leafs or nuthin. And if he holds out beyond Dec 1 ..it’s groundhog day and the whole scenario repeats next year with the added kick in the nuts that he can’t play this year for anyone.

So he loses a year in the league. He loses a few million dollars that he will never get back and he loses a chance at a big playoff run. The Leafs..well they don’t lose much. The rink is always full. Ratings never decline and they are winning.

Lots written and only the negotiating parties know for sure but the puck heads are saying Nylander wants Driesital money at 8.5$ (yet another clumsy mistake by the oilers to add to their litany of bad moves) and the Leafs are saying we will pay you Pasternak money at 6.5$.

The Leafs aren’t moving off that number ..maybe they go close to 7..but I doubt it.

So Willy needs to decide inside of 30 days...does he take 6/38$ or maybe 2/13$ or sit at home for a year and do this all over again.
          Betting he signs the short term or bridge deal.
          Keep in mind, if the Leafs are offering 6.5M when they are buying UFA years, they'll be offering a lot less for a bridge deal. Probably more like 5M per year, so it's 6/40 versus 2/10. But also consider that he'll want a long term deal with signing bonuses so he doesn't get hit very hard when the next lockout hits - which is a few years away yet, meaning a two year bridge wouldn't appeal, and a longer bridge just gets him closer to UFA and the Leafs probably wouldn't be interested in that - unless he wants to lock into that super low rate for longer.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Matthews out for 4 weeks at least. Yeesh. Time to test that centre depth, I guess. I like the idea of rolling the MarKadMar line again, so you've got Tavares carrying one line and Marner another.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Matthews out for 4 weeks at least. Yeesh. Time to test that centre depth, I guess. I like the idea of rolling the MarKadMar line again, so you've got Tavares carrying one line and Marner another.
              Yeesh is right. Another shoulder. Shoulders and knees shorten hockey careers. Mathews didnt play major junior and likely has always been the biggest and most skilled player coming up the ranks where physical play isnt the factor it once was. Like Eric Lindros Austin is a load. And just like Eric he leaves himself in bad spots to take some big hits.

Lindros never learned to protect himself because he never had to. He never learned and it cost him the last few years of his career. Mathews is on the same path right now.

Two shoulder separations and a concky in 2 and a bit seasons. Time to start keeping his eyes up and not opening his body up to take those heavy shots.

He’s out a month.maybe six weeks. Naz can play on the second line and they can play 500 till Mathews gets back. The Leafs like the raps have to be picking up speed as the playoffs start. They have time. Without Mathews the Leafs are just another good team who will make the playoffs. With him they are in the conversation to win the Cup. It’s on him to find the line between playing in traffic without reservation and being aware enough not to open himself up to absorb some pretty hellacious shots.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Oct 31, 2018, 10:25 AM.
              - TGO

Comment

Keep in mind, if the Leafs are offering 6.5M when they are buying UFA years, they'll be offering a lot less for a bridge deal. Probably more like 5M per year, so it's 6/40 versus 2/10. But also consider that he'll want a long term deal with signing bonuses so he doesn't get hit very hard when the next lockout hits - which is a few years away yet, meaning a two year bridge wouldn't appeal, and a longer bridge just gets him closer to UFA and the Leafs probably wouldn't be interested in that - unless he wants to lock into that super low rate for longer.
                Well we might both be wrong ...

In the rumour a minute world that is the Toronto Maple Leafs it sure sounds like William Nylander is now being edged up on the trading block. In an escalating game of chicken that hasn't been seen in a long time everyone stands lose on this one.

Leafs fans lose as they miss out on what could be the best offensive team in the league for few years.

Nylander loses as he isn't playing, is giving up serious money he won't get back, and might be moved from a team thats in the conversation for a Stanley Cup run this year and maybe a couple more.

Leafs lose in that the player(s) coming back in all probability won't be as good as the kid going out.

If he goes.. I think they send him West.

The Jets might be interested in loading up and they have what the Leafs are looking for in a trade on the blueline in Jacob Trouba or Josh Morrissey.
                San Jose has 31 year old Marc-Edouard Vlassic as their 3rd guy behind Eric Karlson and Bent Burns.
                Minnesota has 20 something Matt Dumba
                and
                My personal dream ... which is very very unlikely to be fulfilled is Oliver Ekman-Larsson in Arizona...
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Nov 11, 2018, 07:10 PM.
                - TGO

Comment

Well we might both be wrong ...

In the rumour a minute world that is the Toronto Maple Leafs it sure sounds like William Nylander is now being edged up on the trading block. In an escalating game of chicken that hasn't been seen in a long time everyone stands lose on this one.

Leafs fans lose as they miss out on what could be the best offensive team in the league for few years.

Nylander loses as he isn't playing, is giving up serious money he won't get back, and might be moved from a team thats in the conversation for a Stanley Cup run this year and maybe a couple more.

Leafs lose in that the player(s) coming back in all probability won't be as good as the kid going out.

If he goes.. I think they send him West.

The Jets might be interested in loading up and they have what the Leafs are looking for in a trade on the blueline in Jacob Trouba or Josh Morrissey.
                  San Jose has 31 year old Marc-Edouard Vlassic as their 3rd guy behind Eric Karlson and Bent Burns.
                  Minnesota has 20 something Matt Dumba
                  and
                  My personal dream ... which is very very unlikely to be fulfilled is Oliver Ekman-Larsson in Arizona...
                  For now it's just part of the negotiation. It's the leverage the Leafs have, the trade block. I still fully expect this ends with Nylander signing with Toronto.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

For now it's just part of the negotiation. It's the leverage the Leafs have, the trade block. I still fully expect this ends with Nylander signing with Toronto.
                    Yeah.. in this one the Leafs have all the leverage. I just don't see them coming off their number of 6/36-38. This is a fight that I don't think Nylander can win. Hats off to him for not selling himself short.

If they give here then the next round of contracts begets another round of really really tough choices with Marner and Mathews.
                    - TGO

Comment

Yeesh is right. Another shoulder. Shoulders and knees shorten hockey careers. Mathews didnt play major junior and likely has always been the biggest and most skilled player coming up the ranks where physical play isnt the factor it once was. Like Eric Lindros Austin is a load. And just like Eric he leaves himself in bad spots to take some big hits.

Lindros never learned to protect himself because he never had to. He never learned and it cost him the last few years of his career. Mathews is on the same path right now.

Two shoulder separations and a concky in 2 and a bit seasons. Time to start keeping his eyes up and not opening his body up to take those heavy shots.

He’s out a month.maybe six weeks. Naz can play on the second line and they can play 500 till Mathews gets back. The Leafs like the raps have to be picking up speed as the playoffs start. They have time. Without Mathews the Leafs are just another good team who will make the playoffs. With him they are in the conversation to win the Cup. It’s on him to find the line between playing in traffic without reservation and being aware enough not to open himself up to absorb some pretty hellacious shots.
                      He got hit awkwardly from behind on this last injury, he gets hurt because he is targeted as one of the best in the NHL.

Comment

Yeah.. in this one the Leafs have all the leverage. I just don't see them coming off their number of 6/36-38. This is a fight that I don't think Nylander can win. Hats off to him for not selling himself short.

If they give here then the next round of contracts begets another round of really really tough choices with Marner and Mathews.
                        If this kid doesnt sing, the Leafs, quite literally, could shut him down in the NHL until he is 27 years old....they most certainly have all the leverage.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          He got hit awkwardly from behind on this last injury, he gets hurt because he is targeted as one of the best in the NHL.
                          Yeah your right on that..... when your as good as Mathews is.... the whole league looks like Vontaze Burfict... Crosby still gets hunted by plugs like brandon dubinsky...

He took that shot from Trouba straight up...he was driving to the net and didn't look up... he has to understand that you can't open yourself up.. learn the minor move to absorb the hit than take it head on...

Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Nov 13, 2018, 10:49 AM.
                          - TGO

Comment

• Bad day for NHL coaches... Mike Yeo and Todd McLelland get the axe within 24 hours.

The Blues aren't living up to expectations. They made the trade for Ryan OReilly and with Barbashev and Bozak have enough at centre. They have Tarasenko and Fabbri and Schenn up front. The Defense even with Boumiester on the down side of the curve can still be good with Pareyko and PieterAngeo.. Goaltending is below par. I can see why a switch .. This isn't a last in the division team. They have more talent thant that.. Yeo had to go.

The Oilers are perhaps the worst run team in the NHL from the owner to the bench. Daryl Katz wants to hang out with the guys who won all those cups with Gretz. He is great retailer but a shitty NHL owner. McTavish, Lowe, Coffey, Messier, Gretzky were great great players... but they suck as coaches. advisors and managers. How does Katz explain keeping Charelli on after he fucked Boston and has had a similar effect in Edmonchuck.

Edmonton have had so may first overall and top 5 picks that even the guy who drives the zamboni might have been able to build a decent team as he was smoking weed. Yet the Oilers are now at the point were they may be wasting the talent of the best player in the game in his early 20s.

Maybe Edmonton native and Sherwood Park hockey savant Ken Hitchcock rights the ship. I don't think so. Like the Phoenix Suns who need to be sold away from Robert Sarver so do the Oilers need to be sold out from the dopey Daryl Katz and start with a fresh team from the owner down to the bench.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Nov 20, 2018, 01:56 PM.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Today.. The Philadelphia Flyers.. who to me anyway...qualify as the 7th original 6 team cuz with their want to win every year and the love of hockey those fans have ....whacked Ron Hextall as GM.

I love the Flyers and I hate the Flyers. I love them for having an owner in the Snyder family that will do anything to win every year. I hate the Flyers for not seeing that Bobby Clarke needs to be put so far out to pasture that you can't see him.

Clarke still pulls strings in Philly and in his almost 40 years in the organization has never found or advocated for a goalie. This year they have 5 guys in the goalie rotation... If you have 5 guys it means you don't have a number 1 goalie.... and it shows. The defense looks awkward but there is some talent there with Provorov and Ghostisbiere... Up front they have Giroux and Coutourrier and the Chech guy whose name eludes me right now...

And with all of that .. its just not working.. they whacked Hextall for ostensibly getting ill fitting pieces... but the coach has to be feeling the heat as well. Tick Tock for that guy.

I hope the next GM has Joel Quenville on speed dial...
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 26, 2018, 01:57 PM.
                              - TGO

Comment

• And on his first game back after missing 14....Auston Mathews counts 2 and a helper.

Guys good.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X