Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury won't affect free agency status with Raptors: Casey

“It’s tough because I thought he was playing some of his best basketball. He was really shooting the ball well. Offensively, he was a driving force for us in those games,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said. “I thought he was just kind of getting into his rhythm and stride. So it’s unfortunate for him as an individual and for us as a team. It won’t impact him at all going into free agency next summer. We miss that punch he gives us off of the bench.

“That decision will be made by our organization as we go along. But his injury, him missing these last few games, won’t affect that status or that judgment.”

Bayless averaged 11.4 points and 3.8 assists per game this year. Casey added that Bayless’s future might be as a change-of-pace guard rather than a point guard.

“He’s got the gumption and the confidence and the ability to finish games for you down the stretch,” Casey said.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...n-free-agency/
    Given Bayless' continuing claim that he wants to be a starting PG, I wonder how he feels about Casey's suggestion his future might be as a change-of-pace guard? I am assuming that means the Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford, or Leandro Barbosa type player.

Comment

• Does Casey not realize what Bayless' numbers have been coming off the bench? Nothing to brag about.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Does Casey not realize what Bayless' numbers have been coming off the bench? Nothing to brag about.
        Maybe he is hoping that if he gets into a groove when he starts he can continue the same play when he comes off the bench?

Comment

• I hate when people say pass first point guard. To me it doesn't matter if it's a pass first or shoot first as long as the right play is being made. Bayless when not looking over his shoulder at Casey/Triano has done a great job on both ends of the court. He's been erratic at times and selfish no question but those cases are usually when he's not getting steady minutes. I think the kid has something and can continue to improve. I'd like to see the Raptors resign him for a 3 year 10-12 million (total not per year). MKG is getting a lot of love and rightfully so but with Jose, Demar, MKG, Dre and JV that's a ton of pressure on Dre for offense. Sub in Bayless and the defense is improved and you could argue so is the offense. I'm not suggesting Bayless starts over Jose opening night next year but if he won't sign a reasonable deal I'd definitely extend the QO. I forget the poster but someone mentioned 5 assists a night... When starting Bayless has exceeded that number and lets not forget the best Raptor years we had with the beloved Alvin running the point.

2000-01 26 TOR NBA 82 34 29.2 4.0 9.4 .430 0.4 1.3 .306 1.3 1.8 .752 0.6 2.0 2.6 5.0 1.5 0.3 1.3 2.1 9.8
          2001-02 27 TOR NBA 82 82 35.7 4.9 11.8 .415 0.8 2.4 .321 1.3 1.7 .736 0.7 2.7 3.4 5.7 1.6 0.3 1.8 2.3 11.8
          2002-03 28 TOR NBA 78 78 33.8 5.1 11.6 .438 0.6 1.9 .329 2.4 3.1 .782 0.7 2.4 3.1 5.3 1.4 0.3 1.6 2.2 13.

With those type of minutes Bayless could put up much more impressive numbers. I'm not big on numbers just thought it was an interesting comparison as team success doesn't reflect your starting PG's assist numbers.
          Last edited by RAPresenting; Thu Mar 29, 2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• RAPresenting wrote: View Post
            I hate when people say pass first point guard. To me it doesn't matter if it's a pass first or shoot first as long as the right play is being made. Bayless when not looking over his shoulder at Casey/Triano has done a great job on both ends of the court. He's been erratic at times and selfish no question but those cases are usually when he's not getting steady minutes. I think the kid has something and can continue to improve. I'd like to see the Raptors resign him for a 3 year 10-12 million (total not per year). MKG is getting a lot of love and rightfully so but with Jose, Demar, MKG, Dre and JV that's a ton of pressure on Dre for offense. Sub in Bayless and the defense is improved and you could argue so is the offense. I'm not suggesting Bayless starts over Jose opening night next year but if he won't sign a reasonable deal I'd definitely extend the QO. I forget the poster but someone mentioned 5 assists a night... When starting Bayless has exceeded that number and lets not forget the best Raptor years we had with the beloved Alvin running the point.

2000-01 26 TOR NBA 82 34 29.2 4.0 9.4 .430 0.4 1.3 .306 1.3 1.8 .752 0.6 2.0 2.6 5.0 1.5 0.3 1.3 2.1 9.8
            2001-02 27 TOR NBA 82 82 35.7 4.9 11.8 .415 0.8 2.4 .321 1.3 1.7 .736 0.7 2.7 3.4 5.7 1.6 0.3 1.8 2.3 11.8
            2002-03 28 TOR NBA 78 78 33.8 5.1 11.6 .438 0.6 1.9 .329 2.4 3.1 .782 0.7 2.4 3.1 5.3 1.4 0.3 1.6 2.2 13.

With those type of minutes Bayless could put up much more impressive numbers. I'm not big on numbers just thought it was an interesting comparison as team success doesn't reflect your starting PG's assist numbers.
            I only mentioned "pass-first" because, well, obviously, Jose is a pass-first PG. And i think it makes a difference. My interpretation on game, and i know people may also have different ways of interpreting it, was that Lawson stuck to Jose because he knew, Jose was never going to try and beat him off the dribble. Jose will not take it upon himself to try and score to open up the defense. Lawson was up in his grill trying to smother him so he wont see the passing lanes. And IMO, it worked wonders for the Nuggets. Jose only had 2TO, but he wasnt making the passes he usually made. He had his back to the basket and waiting for the wing guys to appear beside him. Bargnani, Gray and Amir kept giving him picks but he couldnt do the pick and roll, coz he couldnt shake Lawson. If you noticed last night, the Raps had a 13-2 run or something like that when Uzoh was the PG coz Lawson kept giving him space.

With a scoring PG like Bayless, he wouldve ISOd Lawson and probably tried to get at him one on one. If it worked for a couple of plays, Lawson wouldve definitely backed off and Bayless would then be able to run the offense involving the other players.

I agree with your points on Bayless. I think its fairly obvious that the more minutes a player plays, the more numbers he'll put up. So one cant expect Bayless to come off the bench with limited minutes and still be the same contributor as he normally is. I think somebody referenced Jason Terry, well, he doesnt start, but he plays heavy minutes. I think 31 per game this season, and Bayless' mins are nowhere near that.
            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Thu Mar 29, 2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Part of the issue is going to be what they do with Calderon. Jose isn't a durable guy and having him play 40 mins a night won't work. If Calderon's back, they need a legitimate backup PG. They can't go into next season with Wil Solomon and Roko Ukic types. So, if Bayless is the best option at $4M, then I have no issue with him coming back. If, OTOH, the Raps are going to re-work the PG-spot entirely, then I'd rather see other guys pursued.
              Bayless is not the best option at $4M but he might be the best option at $2M.

Comment

Does Casey not realize what Bayless' numbers have been coming off the bench? Nothing to brag about.
                I think he was referring to the pace of the game, like when the offense gets stagnant, he expects Bayless to come in and be the spark. But i dont think Bayless wants to be that guy, at this point in his career. And id be disappointed if he wanted to. Of course at this early in his career, he wants to play more minutes to help the team win. Not a 6th man.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                  I think he was referring to the pace of the game, like when the offense gets stagnant, he expects Bayless to come in and be the spark. But i dont think Bayless wants to be that guy, at this point in his career. And id be disappointed if he wanted to. Of course at this early in his career, he wants to play more minutes to help the team win. Not a 6th man.
                  He could still play starters minutes off the bench (like Terry), but I just don't see that idea sitting well with Bayless. Too much ego at this stage of his career to thrive in a bench role.

Comment

• I do see the value in Bayless's game on the defensive end. He is a very poor game manager, and passer. I don't think he is the PG of the future for this reason. I also feel Calderon isn't the answer either. I love what Calderon brings to the table. The games are much easier to watch when he is running the offence. I'm a fan of ball movement though.

What I would love to see out of our future point guard is a defensive, pass first point guard. If we have other players that can score JV, Bargs, DeMar, this years draft pick, we don't really need our PG to be an offensive weapon. I would like us to find an athletic pest of a defender and someone who can manage the game well. He needs some scoring ability to keep teams honest, but it doesn't need to be a focus.

I think a guy like Rondo, or Eric Snow would have been ideal in this situation. I've been looking through this years draft possibilities, and there doesn't seem to be a player that has those qualities. Bledsoe is supposed to be a great defender, maybe the Raps should pursue a trade. I like Scott Machado's play making ability, but the scouting reports are not favourable when it comes to defence.

Comment

He could still play starters minutes off the bench (like Terry), but I just don't see that idea sitting well with Bayless. Too much ego at this stage of his career to thrive in a bench role.
                      I agree. He is still in the denial stage of combo-guard off bench reality. He has to go through anger, bargaining, and depression before reaching acceptance.

*By the way, that statement is based on my opinion his career potential is an exceptional 6th man/1st guard off the bench*

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I agree. He is still in the denial stage of combo-guard off bench reality. He has to go through anger, bargaining, and depression before reaching acceptance.

*By the way, that statement is based on my opinion his career potential is an exceptional 6th man/1st guard off the bench*
                        If Casey was able to break through with Bargnani, maybe he has similar plans with Bayless:

"Listen Dumbass, you're a good player with a lot of talent, but you're NOT a point guard. Put pressure on the defense the way you know best, and I'll make sure you get 30 minutes a night".

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Bayless is not the best option at $4M but he might be the best option at $2M.
                          This season seems to be the year of the backups. Dragic, Klay Thompson, Bayless, Lin, Isiah Thomas seem to have all flourished when given the starting position due to an injury or trade. If you compare their salaries, then yes, at current, Bayless is worth $2M. But i dont expect these guys to stay at $2M when they get their next contract, and Bayless is approaching that part of his career. IMO, from what ive seen from what Bayless can do, $4M is a fair amount.

Comment

For me, i dont think thats a problem. Like i said, id be more worried if he didnt aspire to be a starter. The problem is, where? If he wants to be a starter here, probably not. But i dont discount the fact that he can be a starter, or play starter minutes, for a team that would fit his style of play.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Im actually starting to soften up my stance on him being a future starting PG of this team, but im not however relinquishing the idea that he can still be a good PG, specially after watching last night, but yes, more of a combo type player. I do think he can run an offense, but not for the whole game.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                                This season seems to be the year of the backups. Dragic, Klay Thompson, Bayless, Lin, Isiah Thomas seem to have all flourished when given the starting position due to an injury or trade. If you compare their salaries, then yes, at current, Bayless is worth $2M. But i dont expect these guys to stay at $2M when they get their next contract, and Bayless is approaching that part of his career. IMO, from what ive seen from what Bayless can do, $4M is a fair amount.
                                My first choice would be to get a 2nd lottery pick to get Marshall, to backup and learn from Calderon. I prefer my PGs to be pass-first oriented, to spread the ball around and get the other four players' game going. I suppose you would call that the traditional PG role.

My second choice at roughly $4-5M per year would be to sign a PG like Dragic, rather than re-sign Bayless. Dragic has similar skillset as Bayless, with perhaps a little more of the pass-first mentality. Most important though, is that Dragic appears to be happy in the backup PG role, whereas Bayless pouts and doesn't play nearly as well coming off the bench. With more traditional PGs in place, leave the penetration responsibility to the wings (SF & SG) and make sure at least one of the backup wings has the game and ability to fill the 'sparkplug' role off the bench.

Bottom line is, I don't like Bayless' game or attitude, I don't think he's worth $4M+ and I would prefer not to have him on the Raptors roster next season. I think there are better options available via draft, free agency or trade, for equal or lesser money, who will be better backup traditional style PGs. It's not even really a knock against Bayless, but rather a prefernce for the type of PG I prefer and Bayless isn't it.

Comment

Working...
                                X