No announcement yet.

Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayless is a good dude and all but he seems a little slow. You know, up top.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      Bayless is a good dude and all but he seems a little slow. You know, up top.
      lol, you just described the entire team.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        My first choice would be to get a 2nd lottery pick to get Marshall, to backup and learn from Calderon. I prefer my PGs to be pass-first oriented, to spread the ball around and get the other four players' game going. I suppose you would call that the traditional PG role.

My second choice at roughly $4-5M per year would be to sign a PG like Dragic, rather than re-sign Bayless. Dragic has similar skillset as Bayless, with perhaps a little more of the pass-first mentality. Most important though, is that Dragic appears to be happy in the backup PG role, whereas Bayless pouts and doesn't play nearly as well coming off the bench. With more traditional PGs in place, leave the penetration responsibility to the wings (SF & SG) and make sure at least one of the backup wings has the game and ability to fill the 'sparkplug' role off the bench.

Bottom line is, I don't like Bayless' game or attitude, I don't think he's worth $4M+ and I would prefer not to have him on the Raptors roster next season. I think there are better options available via draft, free agency or trade, for equal or lesser money, who will be better backup traditional style PGs. It's not even really a knock against Bayless, but rather a prefernce for the type of PG I prefer and Bayless isn't it.
        "Dragic appears to be happy in the backup PG role....".

May I ask what makes you write this? Dragic has been a backup to 2 guards who are arguably better than he. Steve Nash in Phoenix and Lowry in Houston. He was in no position to make waves nor have I heard of any attitudinal problems. When he got the opportunity to play starter mins he has done so admirably. I believe Houston acquired him to be the starter but Lowry showed much improvement. I see no reason why he would not embrace a starting PG role here.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

May I ask what makes you write this? Dragic has been a backup to 2 guards who are arguably better than he. Steve Nash in Phoenix and Lowry in Houston. He was in no position to make waves nor have I heard of any attitudinal problems. When he got the opportunity to play starter mins he has done so admirably. I believe Houston acquired him to be the starter but Lowry showed much improvement. I see no reason why he would not embrace a starting PG role here.
          I like Dragic's game too. The only problem with Dragic is he's waaay more efficient when he's given starter minutes. And by that token, i think he will command ,more than the mid-level, Im guessing around the $7M-$8M range.

Comment

I meant from general observation of watching his body language during games and lack of anybody talking about his unhappiness. Whereas Bayless has been on three teams and wore out his welcome at two (so far), with even fanbases largely unhapy at the the disparity between his effort as a starter VS as a backup. You can see it in the way he carries himself and I'm sure in the statistics too. Obviously I don't know about Dragic or any other non-Raptor player as well as I can guess about Bayless, since I don't know them or watch them on a regular basis. Bayless, on the other hand, is just like TJ Ford was; if he's not 'the man' he is a pouty shell of himself. I hate that kind of character and it drives me nuts watching him consistently put himself before the team. Know your role and play it! I haven't seen or heard any whispers of this kind of complaint coming out of Houston or Phoenix about Dragic, that's the only point I was making.

Comment

Bayless is a good dude and all but he seems a little slow. You know, up top.
              No if you listen to him talk he's a really really smart guy and he took online courses over the lockout so it shows he takes school seriously. I also heard his dad is very strict. I still believe-in him and i hope he can become a start PG whether its for us or another team.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                I like Dragic's game too. The only problem with Dragic is he's waaay more efficient when he's given starter minutes. And by that token, i think he will command ,more than the mid-level, Im guessing around the $7M-$8M range.
                Wow is Dragic deserves that, than Bayless is definately deserves QO.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I think it's going a bit far to insult his intelligence. It's one thing to dislike his playing style, but I don't agree with bashing him personally.

As Raptor fans we read way more material about this team. Rockets fans could be saying the same thing about Dragic. Of course Bayless wants to start, almost every player wants to. I don't see the pouting that some are referring to. Does he play better when he starts? Yes. I don't like that aspect either, but it is what it is.

I am in agreement that we should go a different direction for the PG position. I would gladly have Bayless back playing a combo guard role. He has a great attitude, work ethic, and has always been supportive of his team mates.

And I don't think Dragic will be close to the 7-8 mil mark. I think he will be closer to the mid level mark of 5 mil. and below.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                    Crap...he is a RFA after this year (for some reason I thought he was an UFA). He makes about 2 mill. this year. I dont know that Houston would pay to retain him and the only other team that might make a play for him might be Portland (as far as I can glean on need). Getting a starting pg thru f/agcy provides more flexibility in the draft and trades or even amnestying. As far as $ goes I suppose it depends on the demand and Houston's willingness to match. Any suitor probably has to promise him the starter role. One of his more attractive attributes is his willingness to play defence and he is 26.

Comment

Crap...he is a RFA after this year (for some reason I thought he was an UFA). He makes about 2 mill. this year. I dont know that Houston would pay to retain him and the only other team that might make a play for him might be Portland (as far as I can glean on need). Getting a starting pg thru f/agcy provides more flexibility in the draft and trades or even amnestying. As far as $ goes I suppose it depends on the demand and Houston's willingness to match. Any suitor probably has to promise him the starter role. One of his more attractive attributes is his willingness to play defence and he is 26.
                      Dragic is unrestricted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        I think it's going a bit far to insult his intelligence. It's one thing to dislike his playing style, but I don't agree with bashing him personally.

As Raptor fans we read way more material about this team. Rockets fans could be saying the same thing about Dragic. Of course Bayless wants to start, almost every player wants to. I don't see the pouting that some are referring to. Does he play better when he starts? Yes. I don't like that aspect either, but it is what it is.

I am in agreement that we should go a different direction for the PG position. I would gladly have Bayless back playing a combo guard role. He has a great attitude, work ethic, and has always been supportive of his team mates.

And I don't think Dragic will be close to the 7-8 mil mark. I think he will be closer to the mid level mark of 5 mil. and below.
                        I'm not calling him a stupidhead I'm just saying he clearly doesn't seem to grasp what his strengths and weaknesses are.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm not calling him a stupidhead I'm just saying he clearly doesn't seem to grasp what his strengths and weaknesses are.
                          "Bayless is a good dude and all but he seems a little slow. You know, up top."

hahaha your comment might have been a bit vague.

Comment

I think he know his strengths and weaknesses just fine. I feel like he just looks around the league and see other PGs in the same mold as him succeeding and feels like he could contribute in same manner. Like I bet he gets upset when Westbrook leads the league in TO but, still gets a starting gig.

Think about it Rose and Westbrook were in his draft class and they both just got the key to the franchise right after they were drafted. That's probably why he thinks he hasn't gotten a chance yet. Honestly I would have to agree. BTW IMO
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think it's going a bit far to insult his intelligence. It's one thing to dislike his playing style, but I don't agree with bashing him personally.

Afflalo, Miller, Udrih, Felton are all in the 7-8mil range. I can see Dragic putting himself in the same company, dont you?

Comment

You are right. Good. I found a site which said RFA. He was a second rounder.

Comment

Working...
                                X