ESPN Insider - NBA Draft Blog Sneak Peek - Beal, Marshall, Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I read somewhere that he has grown since the start of the season. He said himself that he's up to 6'5" now (sorry, no source).
    No worries. Hopefully he is not one of those players who refuses to do anything at the combine. Last year, Irving even refused to be measured if I recall correctly. That was a the first time that had happened. Sitting out of 5-on-5 and drills had been done but everyone got measured at least. Anyways, like I said, hopefully he is measured at the combine if for nothing else than to satisfy inquiring minds.

Comment

I found where I read it, although not a very thorough citation:

The knock on Beal is that at 6-3 he's undersized for the 2 spot but I'm not too concerned. First of all, he's got great length and an NBA frame despite his diminutive stature and second, he told SB Nation's Seth Pollack on the weekend that he had grown and was closer to 6-5 now.
      http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/3/27/2...t-still-on-top

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I found where I read it, although not a very thorough citation:

http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/3/27/2...t-still-on-top
        I usually take players with a grain of salt - obviously he is not going to come out and say, "Yeah, I'm still short, done growing." Although he might.

I would imagine DraftExpress lifted his measurements off the Nike Hoops Summit from last year (where he was MVP by the way, I did not know that until now). For him to grow another inch or so from 17 to 18 years of age is not unheard of. He won't be 19 until June 28th.

Comment

I think we will won't really know where the top 5-6 players might be ranked until the combine and work outs. The reason is that GMs are likely to fall in love with Drummond all over again, and probably blame his lack of productivity to his very young age and a guard-heavy system. Remember that Biyombo shot up the draft charts last year based almost solely on his physical attributes and workouts. Drummond is going to look better than Biyombo in workouts, I think. He has more polish and a bigger frame. Also, I think that Barnes might show more size and athleticism than he seems to have in game action. His athleticism might not be as bad as everyone is saying now. Also, I think he has better handles than he has shown in college, where the UNC system tended to clog the interior with big bodies (Zeller, Henson) and teams play a lot of zone. I think he might be a bit undervalued now.

Comment

The combines are definitely going to impact whether a guy moves up or down. Last year guys like Walker and Knight dropped, but a guy like Thompson rose. I do think that Drummond is going to be moving up that draft ladder. His 'potential' is going to really impress a lot of GM's. I wouldn't be surprised if he knocked Robinson out of the top 4.

Comment

Working...
            X