OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I highly doubt the GM is involved in the TV schedule, especially given who the Raptors' owners are. RapsTV is now NBA Canada, which again, I doubt BC has any say in whatsoever. The networks hire the announcers, so neither the team or its GM have any say in it whatsoever. The GM oversees the team, but definitely isn't responsible for making all those decisions.

If you re-read my message, I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you did know that, but just wanted to dump another bunch of crap at the feet of BC to bolster your argument and fan the flames of discontent towards BC. If you (or anybody else) really do think that BC's job entails making any/all of those decisions, then it is an ignorant argument, because it's based on a faulty undrestanding of BC's responsibilities.
    Maybe it's because you're in Calgary you've missed this. NoBan's right on the media tip. You can disagree on everything else but BC's role includes broadcasts. Remember, he also holds the title of team President.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
      IMO, JJ is not necessary and wouldn't improve a Fields / Kleiza rotation at the 3 position. Beyond that, the Raptors' coach and GM obviously didn't like JJ as much, and much of that might have been related to his attitude and fit within the team culture. I'm giving Casey the benefit of the doubt on this one. I am sure that Colangelo got as good a return as possible in trading him. So, no, I don't think this is a "bad trade". It was a necessary trade.
      +1

If he wasn't a fit for Casey, he wasn't a fit for us, seriously, don't know why there's so much negativity. It's JJ, he's a role player on a shitty team and that's what he's going to be in Sacto as well.

Comment

I highly doubt the GM is involved in the TV schedule, especially given who the Raptors' owners are. RapsTV is now NBA Canada, which again, I doubt BC has any say in whatsoever. The networks hire the announcers, so neither the team or its GM have any say in it whatsoever. The GM oversees the team, but definitely isn't responsible for making all those decisions.

If you re-read my message, I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you did know that, but just wanted to dump another bunch of crap at the feet of BC to bolster your argument and fan the flames of discontent towards BC. If you (or anybody else) really do think that BC's job entails making any/all of those decisions, then it is an ignorant argument, because it's based on a faulty undrestanding of BC's responsibilities.
        BC is the unquestioned leader and the face of the leadership team. Everything that surrounds the team falls under his umbrella.

He's not making specific programming decisions, but everything that happens with raps media coverage happens on his watch. We can't expect him to dig into the media side of things, but he's gotta set the tone of what is and is not acceptable on that side of the fence... something that he's failed to do with a lackluster product as a result.

You racist!

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          You say BryCo traded Barbosa because he wasn't in the team's future plans, I say BryCo traded Barbosa to help the tank. Which one of us is right?

I certainly would not qualify getting a 2nd round pick - something a team can buy outright - for a productive, non-disruptive player as a "fantastic trade"; the likelihood of a mid 2nd round pick turning into something useful is very slim.
          I'm guessing we're both a little right, along with BC just wanting to give Barbosa a shot at playoffs.

As for it being fantastic, I think getting a 2nd round pick and a $7.6M TPE is fantastic, when compared to getting nothing when the player walks as an UFA. The fact that BC did nothing with the TPE and didn't turn either asset into something more valuable, doesn't diminish the trade itself.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Maybe it's because you're in Calgary you've missed this. NoBan's right on the media tip. You can disagree on everything else but BC's role includes broadcasts. Remember, he also holds the title of team President.
            I was born and raised in Ontario and lived in Toronto for nine years. I didn't say that BC wasn't involved, I simply said there's no way he alone makes that decision, considering the team is owned by the country's 2 biggest broadcast empires! lol You think he would make a decision about broadcasting rights without Rogers or Bell ownership perhaps having just a little input??? Come on...

The announcers and NBA Canada programming are completely outside of the GM's control.

Comment

• @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Let's see

2013 2nd round gems
                1) Michael Snaer - 6'5, 200IB SG (possibly a steal, reminds me of Leandro Barbosa)
                2) Mindagaus Kupsas - 7'1 C from Lithuania (possibly as a backup for Valanciunas)
                3) Dario Saric - 6'9 SF/PF (Poor man Ilyasova)
                4) DeWayne Dedmon - 7'0 C from USC

- There are many C in the 2nd round of next year's draft, which we can acquire a backup C for Valanciunas when Magloire retires

2014 2nd round gems
                1) BJ Young - PG
                2) Tim Hardaway Jr - SG
                3) Dwight Powell - SF
                4) Isiah Austin - C

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                  Let's see

2013 2nd round gems
                  1) Michael Snaer - 6'5, 200IB SG (possibly a steal, reminds me of Leandro Barbosa)
                  2) Mindagaus Kupsas - 7'1 C from Lithuania (possibly as a backup for Valanciunas)

- There are many C in the 2nd round of next year's draft, which we can acquire a backup C for Valanciunas when Magloire retires

2014 2nd round gems
                  1) BJ Young - PG
                  2) Tim Hardaway Jr - SG
                  3) Dwight Powell - SF
                  4) Isiah Austin - C
                  I am getting excited already! Is that Powell guy related to the Jamacian sprinter?? Just think of how much team speed we can add!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
                    For crying out loud man, you can't expect fans to go on a full-blown GM hunt, identify the best candidate, and then come to raps repub to post their findings. It's prefectlly fine for a fan to be upset with the GM and call for a firing without stating a replacement. We don't have the means to search for one. Your argument that BC is a good GM because nobody can point to a specific replacement is garbage.

I would rejoice with a BC firing. No, I don't have a interview-ready candidate for his replacement. That doesn't mean we need to keep BC.

To appease you a little, here are some qualities I'd like to see in a potential replacement:

---> A more advanced-stats focused analysis. We're not known as one of the teams that uses SABRmetrics (or whatever it's called), but it would be nice to feel like we had some solid analysis behind our moves instead of the song and dance BC usually defends his moves with.

---> Less of a focus on Euro players. I liked the idea originally, as attacting Euros is an advantage of the Toronto market. But I'm ready to call that strategy a failure, remove the little Italian guy along with BC.

---> Somebody that's crafting a clear identity and culture. Pound the Rock and the defensive accountablility that comes with it is a great start. Steve Nash would have been a disaster. I couldn't believe our GM did not recognize this from the beginning.

---> A GM not in the pockets of agents. The Barbosa deal is an example of us making a move that results in a worse on-court product to help relations with an agent. I continue to think that the league's powerful agents play BC like a drum.

---> A GM that can address the ridiculous media sh!t-show. Every game on a different channel, horrible announcers, really bad programming and analysis on RapsTV.
                    Although I respect your right to interpret the situation as you see fit, I disagree with you're analysis of what BC is and by extension what he's doing wrong.

1) BC and his crew have been noted for using advanced analytics, advanced psychological screening (member that test they put Andrea through that said he had the mental focus to be great or some shit?) loads of scouts and some of the best minds in the biz and he isn't afraid to think out side the box unlike many other GMs out there. These have all been discussed in various reports over the years. I'm interested to hear where you got the idea that he doesn't use any of the new tools out there or is it just speculation because he reaches different conclusions than you do?

2) Less of a focus on Euro players? Euro like Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, James Johnson (who they almost drafted ahead of DeMar) DD, Aaron Gray, Reggie Evans, Kyle Lowry, Landry Fields, Ross... the list goes on but you need to actually look at the players he's brought in and realize you are believing in the tooth fairy here. Andrea, Jorge, Rasho, Marco and JV are his big Euro player pick ups and only two of them play here anymore. I suppose you could consider Parker a "non euro euro" but then you have to give me Linas as a "non american american" as he played his whole career over here and went to college in the US.

3) Culture creation is up to the group as a whole but I'd argue that most of it is up to the coach. I agree Nash is a sieve but so is Jose and DC was able to hide him effectively last year so there's no doubt he could do the same thing with a player of such a higher calibre.

4) Every GM is in the pockets of agents to some degree and needs to be. Especially with a team some agents/players don't want to come to for whatever reason. You can't just go around alienating people willy nilly and expect to be able to do your job going forward. You have to understand that there's a lot of politicking involved. There's no way around it. it's a key part of doing ANY kind of business. Agents and players notice things like what he did with Barbosa and don't forget it.

5) The GM has nothing to do with the horrible TV Schedule. NOTHING. The Raptors organization has many different branches and BC has nothing to do with media placement. MLSEL sells rights to games in blocks to the highest bidders. Good business for them, sucks for us. I hate TSN for trying to force my hand to buy an extra specialty channel to watch games in HD when the other networks include HD. It's a dirty money grab but like they say, THIS IS A BUSINESS.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• minks77 wrote: View Post
                      Although I respect your right to interpret the situation as you see fit, I disagree with you're analysis of what BC is and by extension what he's doing wrong.

1) BC and his crew have been noted for using advanced analytics, advanced psychological screening (member that test they put Andrea through that said he had the mental focus to be great or some shit?) loads of scouts and some of the best minds in the biz and he isn't afraid to think out side the box unlike many other GMs out there. These have all been discussed in various reports over the years. I'm interested to hear where you got the idea that he doesn't use any of the new tools out there or is it just speculation because he reaches different conclusions than you do?

2) Less of a focus on Euro players? Euro like Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, James Johnson (who they almost drafted ahead of DeMar) DD, Aaron Gray, Reggie Evans, Kyle Lowry, Landry Fields, Ross... the list goes on but you need to actually look at the players he's brought in and realize you are believing in the tooth fairy here. Andrea, Jorge, Rasho, Marco and JV are his big Euro player pick ups and only two of them play here anymore. I suppose you could consider Parker a "non euro euro" but then you have to give me Linas as a "non american american" as he played his whole career over here and went to college in the US.

3) Culture creation is up to the group as a whole but I'd argue that most of it is up to the coach. I agree Nash is a sieve but so is Jose and DC was able to hide him effectively last year so there's no doubt he could do the same thing with a player of such a higher calibre.

4) Every GM is in the pockets of agents to some degree and needs to be. Especially with a team some agents/players don't want to come to for whatever reason. You can't just go around alienating people willy nilly and expect to be able to do your job going forward. You have to understand that there's a lot of politicking involved. There's no way around it. it's a key part of doing ANY kind of business. Agents and players notice things like what he did with Barbosa and don't forget it.

5) The GM has nothing to do with the horrible TV Schedule. NOTHING. The Raptors organization has many different branches and BC has nothing to do with media placement. MLSEL sells rights to games in blocks to the highest bidders. Good business for them, sucks for us. I hate TSN for trying to force my hand to buy an extra specialty channel to watch games in HD when the other networks include HD. It's a dirty money grab but like they say, THIS IS A BUSINESS.
                      Couldn't have argued any better. Well said.

Comment

I was born and raised in Ontario and lived in Toronto for nine years. I didn't say that BC wasn't involved, I simply said there's no way he alone makes that decision, considering the team is owned by the country's 2 biggest broadcast empires! lol You think he would make a decision about broadcasting rights without Rogers or Bell ownership perhaps having just a little input??? Come on...

The announcers and NBA Canada programming are completely outside of the GM's control.
                        You're right he doesn't do everything, but, how many seconds of watching tape of a game does it take to know something is wrong? His role is to generate profit. Being a yes man to Rogers and/or Bell does not do the product he is selling any help. His only interest should be: creating a winning, profitable team.

Anyway, why are we arguing about this? I merely was pointing out a single fact, which, on its own probably is inconsequential to the debate

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                          Let's see

2013 2nd round gems

2014 2nd round gems
                          1) BJ Young - PG
                          2) Tim Hardaway Jr - SG
                          3) Dwight Powell - SF
                          4) Isiah Austin - C
                          Too early to even look at this. We don't even know what year we will get the pick (some say 2014), or whether or not we will keep it.

Comment

• minks77 wrote: View Post
                            1) BC and his crew have been noted for using advanced analytics, advanced psychological screening (member that test they put Andrea through that said he had the mental focus to be great or some shit?)
                            All those people better be fired by now.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              You're right he doesn't do everything, but, how many seconds of watching tape of a game does it take to know something is wrong? His role is to generate profit. Being a yes man to Rogers and/or Bell does not do the product he is selling any help. His only interest should be: creating a winning, profitable team.

Anyway, why are we arguing about this? I merely was pointing out a single fact, which, on its own probably is inconsequential to the debate
                              BC is president of the Raptors but the Raps don't sell their broadcast rights MLSE does. They also buy rights to other games from the NBA and resell them. BC has NOTHING to do with it.

http://www.mlse.com/media_sales.aspx
                              Last edited by minks77; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 02:40 PM.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                                Well keeping Kleiza makes sense to me. If JV really lives up to this hype, it would be silly to trade away the one guy on this team that has played with JV and is a good friend of his. That is not a really solid start to a team-player relationship.

Was the 2nd round pick the best offer? I have trouble believing that. And if it was the best deal available, wouldn't it make sense to use Johnson as a piece in a larger trade? We all knew JJ was gone when Fields was acquired, but I have trouble believing that the guy who leads a "defensive minded" team in blocks and steals should be flipped for a second rounder. Not to mention the guy was improving.
                                and Kleiza can shoot

JJ cannot

Comment

Working...
                                X