Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Masai Ujiri

A summary of Masai Ujiri's 2013-2014 moves with the Toronto Raptors:

July 10, 2013: Traded Andrea Bargnani to the New York Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2014 2nd round draft pick, a 2016 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.

July 15, 2013: Signed Tyler Hansbrough as a free agent.

July 16, 2013: Signed Dwight Buycks as a free agent.

July 22, 2013: Signed D.J. Augustin as a free agent.

August 1, 2013: Signed Austin Daye as a free agent.

September 19, 2013: Signed Julyan Stone as a free agent.

December 9, 2013: Traded Quincy Acy, Rudy Gay and Aaron Gray to the Sacramento Kings for Chuck Hayes, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Greivis Vasquez.

February 20, 2014: Traded Austin Daye to the San Antonio Spurs for Nando de Colo.

I mean, so far this guy's done a great job. Only negative was signing/waiving Augustin, but that's a minor mistake.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

stooley wrote: View Post
    I mean, so far this guy's done a great job. Only negative was signing/waiving Augustin, but that's a minor mistake.
    Was thinking the same. But with Vasquez around, it's worked out well.

Comment

I would add retaining Casey as a good decision as well when the consensus in fandom probably leaned towards change.

I was actually surprised he just waived/bought out Augustin rather than able to trade him. Maybe it was a favour to him or an understanding when he signed.

Comment

I don't have any problem with how the Augustin situation played out. They signed him for peanuts. It didn't work. They waived him and both parties are better off for it.

And I feel like it's pretty likely he was consulted before being waived. Like:
        MU: "DJ, things aren't working as we'd hoped. Would you agree?"
        DJ: "Yes"
        MU: "We could waive another guy and keep you around, but you'd be a 3rd stringer probably. Would you like that or rather we waive you and you get a fresh chance somewhere else?"
        DJ: "Waive me. I want the chance to play somewhere and prove myself."
        MU: "Done"

Comment

Architect of the Raps.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...asai-ujiri.nba

Comment

Couple of things to take away from this:

1. basically confirmed that he was ready to blow the team up if this team didn't perform well

2. wants to keep Casey "100%"

Comment

I love a good conspiracy so... regarding the DJ situation, I wonder if that signing was another move towards trying to lure Durant in 2016.. he didn't work out (never got much playing time and when he did he didn't really do much) but I wonder if that thought was there in MU's mind when he went after him in the first place.

KD and DJ played together in Texas in his only year in college.

Comment

wallz wrote: View Post

1. basically confirmed that he was ready to blow the team up if this team didn't perform well

He does sound very high on Casey. I'd be very, very surprised to see him walk barring a first round playoff sweep AND Lowry walking.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Oh my.

The bit on Casey and the camera goes to Casey coaching, on the bottom: "2nd year coach" Ummmmm, NBA? He is in his 3rd year with Toronto.

Comment

July 10, 2013: Traded Andrea Bargnani to the New York Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2014 2nd round draft pick, a 2016 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.

July 15, 2013: Signed Tyler Hansbrough as a free agent.

July 16, 2013: Signed Dwight Buycks as a free agent.

July 22, 2013: Signed D.J. Augustin as a free agent.

August 1, 2013: Signed Austin Daye as a free agent.

September 19, 2013: Signed Julyan Stone as a free agent.

December 9, 2013: Traded Quincy Acy, Rudy Gay and Aaron Gray to the Sacramento Kings for Chuck Hayes, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Greivis Vasquez.

February 20, 2014: Traded Austin Daye to the San Antonio Spurs for Nando de Colo.

Don't know if I would say a great job. The Andrea trade was a decent haul and he traded Rudy(a more talented player) for pieces that are less talented but fit better.

Core of the team is still primarily BC acquisitions. When he can start bringing in players better than the one's that were already here, I would say he is doing a great job. Until then, i'd call it an adequate performance.

Comment

wallz wrote: View Post

The 1st part is a concern to me. If the team didn't work out well he was going to blow it up. It's worked out well for them for 2/3rd's of a season. Does this now mean that this is the direction the team should go in based on less than a full season?

that sounds less like an actual plan and more like going with the flow. If the raps don't perform well next year would that mean another change of direction is in order?

Still waiting to see what clear vision the management team has. Are you trying to win championships as you said when you came aboard or is it about making playoffs year to year? Time will tell.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                        Don't know if I would say a great job. The Andrea trade was a decent haul and he traded Rudy(a more talented player) for pieces that are less talented but fit better.

Core of the team is still primarily BC acquisitions. When he can start bringing in players better than the one's that were already here, I would say he is doing a great job. Until then, i'd call it an adequate performance.
                        Both trades were great, as they freed up cap for the team, and minutes and shots for JV and TRoss.

It also provided us with future draft picks, and a bench.

Since the trade, Raptors have had a lot better chemistry and have gone from sucking to third place in the East and division leader (soon to be winner).
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post

I definitely agree than BC deserves way more respect for this team than he's getting...he was a quick trigger man that made some brutal mistakes (the euro movement, Bargnani, TJ Ford & Hibbert for O'neal, Hedo, Fields contract) BUT he was the man that drafted JV, Ross & Derozan (and signed him to a steal of n extension), Signed & extended Amir, traded for Lowry & hired coach Casey. this core of this team is still him, what Masai did was all the stuff BC couldn't like finally let go & move on from Bargnani, get cap relief, draft picks & a solid bench around the core.

Comment

Should also be noted that MU forced the firing (I belieive) of the old assitant coaches and hiring of the new ones. Not sure if they were responsible for news leaks with Toronto, but news doesn't seem to leak out of the locker/office so easily anymore.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              I would add retaining Casey as a good decision as well when the consensus in fandom probably leaned towards change.

I was actually surprised he just waived/bought out Augustin rather than able to trade him. Maybe it was a favour to him or an understanding when he signed.
                              He didn't have a choice. The trade with the Kings brought back an extra player and they had to make space asap. They didn't have time to explore a trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X