The NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
    No sprains. But likely not up for anymore "playoff hockey" for a while.
    Nope... for the 51st year in a row the black armbands are on again...

Thought we had it when Kappy undressed Rask... They started to choke off the Bruins rushes to close out the 2nd and the Bruins were on their heels and looking a little tired.... No idea WTF happened in the third when the Leafs just stopped skating.... Full marks to the Bruins for finishing it off....

Work to be done on the blueline in the off season...

So till June.... Go Jets Go...
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• It was as funny as it is sad. For years since "the game" they have had to weather criticisms about sitting back and letting the Bruins take over that fateful game. Fast forward to last night, they do the exact same thing, with literally a different team. I was at a loss, so was Cherry, so was Kypreos and everyone else.

I guess we are all a little different, I believe you find what works, and use it until it doesn't, same goes for what doesn't. Allowing boston puck control was the kiss of death, so, icing, lost face offs, and dumping the puck were all lunatic moves. I know Babcock is a good coach, but I played aaa until I was 15, didnt stop playing hockey, im 45 now.... so I know a little too, there is no excuse for going into a shell, none.

ALL THAT said.

Your Goalie got you there, and you saw what happens when he isn't performing miracles.... better team won, however, Toronto with a different mindset is moving on to the next round, its on them, the coaches etc. As well, how Babcock didn't adjust to the whistle is beyond me, Boston learned early on that EVERYTHING was being allowed. So, they did everything, no calls. Toronto could have pushed back, they didn't. Toronto could have adjusted, they didn't.... but in failing to adjust, they also failed to stay on their own plan which is inexcusable IMO. I don't think Mike Babcock is a Messiah for a coach, he missed the chance in game one to review Marchand being offside (which reviews showed he was) that changed the game and lost them the game. He failed to make adjustments and give his team the confidence to stay the course and allow them to be them. He needs to accept that and take that on.

All in all, not bad. I think you know who you have, you give Nylander a year to show he can play contact hockey, Marner one more proof year, then whoever you love the least you package for a defensive stud. Use the cash saved from the stiffs leaving this year to buy Doughty if he wants to come.... Bobs your uncle. Dermott is a keeper, even kap and johnsson.... they could be in decent shape. Im over it already, I know that much. I will fall back on Sid now and enjoy Kessel doing his thing....

Comment

• Isn't the NHL playoff seeding the dumbest shit you've ever seen? Why are the 2 and 3 seeds facing each other in round 1? NHL playoffs have always been great, there is no need for this nonsense. The best teams should be rewarded for their regular seasons, should have a potential Conference championship battle in the first round...

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
          Isn't the NHL playoff seeding the dumbest shit you've ever seen? Why are the 2 and 3 seeds facing each other in round 1? NHL playoffs have always been great, there is no need for this nonsense. The best teams should be rewarded for their regular seasons, should have a potential Conference championship battle in the first round...
          Yeah, its pretty ridiculous. I'm looking at the other side of the east bracket, the match up and I laugh.... Pitt, thats it. Meanwhile, all three of the best teams otherwise at each others throats.... no WAY Boston and Tampe should be a round two tilt.... its ludicrous.

Comment

• So Vegas.

When this team started as hot as they did, I knew they were a contender. In our new NHL, the cap system, parity is incredible, so too are the various cycles that each team are on: contend, break down, rebuild. That is the new NHL and what it did for this expansion was create an environment where the Vegas franchise had a LOT of truly great players to choose from, they used that opportunity to properly build a very talented, balanced squad with a really great Goalie.

I have not been surprised one bit, and I called, begrudgenly, Vegas to win the cup a couple weeks ago. Here's the thing. Vegas is in the US as well, and Bettmans darling franchise, the one he wanted for quite a while. I doubt the will get a bad whistle as long as they are in the Playoffs as the NHL wants to manufacture a great story. Its fun, but also a little sad. It is what it is now though, as Raptors fans we have been on the opposite side of that type of manipulation, but a few times on the good side of it as well.

I chose the Penguins as my surrogate after Toronto exited, as Sid Crosby bloiws my mind. But really, who could be upset watching Vegas win, all the stuff I already typed aside, why not let ourselves get caught up in the story... massaged or not, it's still fairly fun, and guys, Marc Andre Fleury VS the Penguins in the Cup, how awesome would that be????

Comment

So Vegas.

When this team started as hot as they did, I knew they were a contender. In our new NHL, the cap system, parity is incredible, so too are the various cycles that each team are on: contend, break down, rebuild. That is the new NHL and what it did for this expansion was create an environment where the Vegas franchise had a LOT of truly great players to choose from, they used that opportunity to properly build a very talented, balanced squad with a really great Goalie.

I have not been surprised one bit, and I called, begrudgenly, Vegas to win the cup a couple weeks ago. Here's the thing. Vegas is in the US as well, and Bettmans darling franchise, the one he wanted for quite a while. I doubt the will get a bad whistle as long as they are in the Playoffs as the NHL wants to manufacture a great story. Its fun, but also a little sad. It is what it is now though, as Raptors fans we have been on the opposite side of that type of manipulation, but a few times on the good side of it as well.

I chose the Penguins as my surrogate after Toronto exited, as Sid Crosby bloiws my mind. But really, who could be upset watching Vegas win, all the stuff I already typed aside, why not let ourselves get caught up in the story... massaged or not, it's still fairly fun, and guys, Marc Andre Fleury VS the Penguins in the Cup, how awesome would that be????
              So Vegas indeed....
              7 zip
              Not even close... 4 in the first and it was over....

Those guys bury when they get their chances... and they sure can make chances.... they don't give up much in their own end and don't really seem to break down .... and if they do they know they got Fleury between the pipes.....

For me one of the best things about Vegas is Gerrard Gallant.... dumped by the analytics genius's in Florida for not being with it.... all he knows is hockey and how to get the best out of his guys.....don't know for sure but they sure must like playing for him and they just win.... wonder if there is a Corsi for that...

They could get by the Sharks ..... Just can't see them getting by the Jets Jets Jets.... but then I never saw them getting to the playoffs as the best in the Pacific either....
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 27, 2018, 12:48 PM.
              - TGO

Comment

It was as funny as it is sad. For years since "the game" they have had to weather criticisms about sitting back and letting the Bruins take over that fateful game. Fast forward to last night, they do the exact same thing, with literally a different team. I was at a loss, so was Cherry, so was Kypreos and everyone else.

I guess we are all a little different, I believe you find what works, and use it until it doesn't, same goes for what doesn't. Allowing boston puck control was the kiss of death, so, icing, lost face offs, and dumping the puck were all lunatic moves. I know Babcock is a good coach, but I played aaa until I was 15, didnt stop playing hockey, im 45 now.... so I know a little too, there is no excuse for going into a shell, none.

ALL THAT said.

Your Goalie got you there, and you saw what happens when he isn't performing miracles.... better team won, however, Toronto with a different mindset is moving on to the next round, its on them, the coaches etc. As well, how Babcock didn't adjust to the whistle is beyond me, Boston learned early on that EVERYTHING was being allowed. So, they did everything, no calls. Toronto could have pushed back, they didn't. Toronto could have adjusted, they didn't.... but in failing to adjust, they also failed to stay on their own plan which is inexcusable IMO. I don't think Mike Babcock is a Messiah for a coach, he missed the chance in game one to review Marchand being offside (which reviews showed he was) that changed the game and lost them the game. He failed to make adjustments and give his team the confidence to stay the course and allow them to be them. He needs to accept that and take that on.

All in all, not bad. I think you know who you have, you give Nylander a year to show he can play contact hockey, Marner one more proof year, then whoever you love the least you package for a defensive stud. Use the cash saved from the stiffs leaving this year to buy Doughty if he wants to come.... Bobs your uncle. Dermott is a keeper, even kap and johnsson.... they could be in decent shape. Im over it already, I know that much. I will fall back on Sid now and enjoy Kessel doing his thing....
                24 hour rule ... ..The Leafs are pretty good team... top 4 in the east and they got beat by another pretty good team who might be top 3 in the east....

Next year Marner and Nylander and Mathews and Kappy and Brown are all a year older and a bit stronger just cuz they are older.
                Like Khadri.. .hes our rat and hes a good at it... puts up 30 a year to boot...
                Goaltender is a keeper for sure....
                Think Bozak and Komorov are gone.... Not sure what they do with JVR.. finding 36 goals will be hard to replace.. Babcock doesn't like him though... guys plays less than10 mins a night.

Still like Reilly... like Dermott.... and its heresy right now....but with 50 points they don't need to dump Gardiner...finding guys like that are hard... have to find a way to spot him better so his weakness in his own end doesn't bite as hard ....
                Can't believe Lou gave a 6 year deal to a Russian... bad biz there... maybe an off year for Zaitsev but he is 5 or 6 at best next year... Can't play Hainsey 28 minutes a game.... but he stays.....and love the physical nature of Polak but he is just to slow now....

Getting one of Karlson or Doughty changes everything.... those guys come along once every 10 years... If Karlsson is available this summer (doubt it) just open the door and tell Dorion to pick two or three of anything he wants......except for Mathews/Anderson.....

Doughty just costs money... and the Leafs got money..... but don't see him leaving LA and Cali if he can go to the beach after practice...... would you ?

and Babcock ain't changing a thing on who plays and how they play.... ..Coaches.. nothing changes from the G or the O.. to junior to the show.....my way or sit....
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 27, 2018, 01:11 PM.
                - TGO

Comment

• Its interesting wth Doughty, he seems like he's reached his time in LA, and he's a GTA guy, he's from here, and he has been chirping about the possibility for 2 years, who knows.

Yeah gardiner...hate him,, love him. Fuck. He can stay

JVR plays 10 mins a night, and 1 min of defence.... ugh.

Zeitsev was hurt, put himon the juice this summer and he's back I think.

Comment

• Fascinating game 1 of Jets/Predators last night. The Jets were absolutely blitzed in terms of shots and shot attempts, but Nashville did not really get a lot of quality chances in the parts of the game I saw (I missed the first period). It looked like Nashville was just throwing pucks at the net and hoping something happened for much of the night, and I don't think that that's the way you beat a team like the Jets. On the other side of the scoresheet, the Jets found ways to generate quality scoring chances, and they have the talent to take advantage of that when they do. And Connor Hellebuyck not only didn't let in any softies (he had no chance on the Nashville goal), but was up to the heavy workload that Nashville's shot-heavy everything-at-the-net offensive strategy put on him.

After the game, PK Subban said that he thought that that was the best game the Preds have played in the playoffs thus far. If that's really true, Nashville fans have some cause for concern, as the Jets clearly have some areas for improvement and adjustment (faceoffs, better puck possession, moving the puck into and through the neutral zone), and are one game away from their return home.

Comment

• Vegas finally gave up a goal last night...SanJose has made this a series but not before replay raised its ugly head again. There is a place for replay but not the way it’s being used now. Offside challenges and goalie interference frame by frame was eventually going to bite the NHL hard in the ass and it did last night. OT winner was called back and yeah Marchesault did run his skate at Jones’s back foot slightly and it was ever so slightly at Jones back skate...but Jones gave it up and looked for the call. That’s not hockey. Replay sucks except for verifying if the puck went in or not. Leave the game on the ice with the refs...They get it right most of the time. If not..you suck it up and know the next close one is going your way.

Vegas is playing old time hockey right now..Gallant has them playing like he did...they finish ALL their checks to the point of a fight and are not worried about any post whistle shoving...This is throwback 90s team. A smidgen short on skill made up for with attitude.

Do they win this....?......At least 6 or 7 to find out.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Apr 29, 2018, 09:49 AM.
                      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        Those guys bury when they get their chances... and they sure can make chances.... they don't give up much in their own end and don't really seem to break down ....
                        You realize that's literally Corsi right?

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                          You realize that's literally Corsi right?
                          It’s hockey....

Corsi is helpful but like all stats systems it doesn't tell the whole story...Corsi is like the old joke about who was the second best defesneman in the NHL...the punch line was it was the guy who plays with Nik Lidstrom....He'd have great Corsi numbers ..... Watching who can do what and when they do it gives you a better sense of the game rather than reading stat lines.

It’s heartbreaking to watch the bruins and Tampa cuz. Woulda coulda shoulda been the leafs .....but that kid sergatchev...holy shit...can he play.....if I’m the Habs owner I Fire Bergeron now....drouin is a nice player but a young guy who can turn it up ice like he can AND clear traffic in his own end is exactly what the Habs needed....and did I mention he is big..and can pass the puck to boot...

Think I will phone up my brother in law the Habs fan and gloat a bit.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Apr 30, 2018, 11:52 PM.
                          - TGO

Comment

• Jets and Nashville are everything plus a free beer or two more than I expected...Super Fast and really physical hockey....A jets win at home will really give them a leg up...but Nashville is also really really good.

Watching the blue lines of both teams gives you an idea of what the Leafs in the post Lou era need to come close to.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed May 2, 2018, 04:53 PM.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Well Tampa takes out Boston in 5.

It was closer than the 4 to 1 series margin says. The Bolts were able to expose the Bruins slow blueline and used their speed to put them away. The Bruins didn't get an even strength goal in 4 games. Thats dominant.

So how did the Leafs with the same kind of makeup...lots of young fast players with skill ....struggle so badly against the Bruins ? Tampas defense simply got the puck out of their own end. They didn't let the Bruins start any kind of cycle game. Puck in... Puck comes back up and out and let the forwards do what they do best..

So whoever is pushing the shopping cart for players in trades and free agency this off season for the Leafs... Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter or a group of high thinkers... better start looking for bigger heavier defenseman who can get the puck up and over the blueline.

Easily said .. tougher to do....... but there are gettable players out there who can play that role out there.

The Bruins went down 4 games to 1... but with loose teeth... cuts and bruises... charley horses.... bone bruises and some sore ribs, legs and arms......Tampa knows it was in a series. Maybe the Raptors could watch and see what it takes to compete from both these teams rather than just say it 3 games into the semi's.
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun May 6, 2018, 07:39 PM.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Game 7... .in Nashville...
                                Going to be a good one...Two of the best 3 teams in the league look to get out of the conference semis to the West final.

Can the Jets score first and force the Preds out of their left wing lock ... If they do the Jets win.... If Nashville scores first it will be a clinic in clogging up centre ice.

Go Jets Go.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X