• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018/19 Raptors Power Rankings Thread

First week Power Rankings are in.

October 16-21:

ESPN (2):
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-moving-week-1

In the league's first big statement game of the season, the Raptors showed off their depth and versatility in a spirited win over Boston. Though he hasn't shot the ball well for the 3-0 Raps, Kawhi Leonard fits like a glove in Toronto, both as a brawny wing and as a small-ball 4. Meanwhile, Kyle Lowry was one of the league's five best players during the season's opening week, pacing the Raps with red-hot shooting. -- Arnovitz

NBA.com (1):
    http://www.nba.com/powerrankings

Kawhi Leonard isn't off to the most efficient start, but had 31 points and a couple of big shots in the Raptors' win over the Celtics, and Kyle Lowry is here to remind us that this team has more than one star. Lowry is 12-for-21 from 3-point range and made a bunch of big plays down the stretch last week, both against Boston and again in Washington on Saturday, with Leonard sitting out the second game of the back-to-back. Bench minutes haven't been great so far, but part-time starter Serge Ibaka gave the Raptors some important second chances (eight of his 11 offensive boards have come in the fourth quarter) in both weekend games.

CBS Sports (2):
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/powerrankings/

Too early to have the Raptors' leap-frogging the Rockets and Celtics for the best non-Warriors team in the NBA? Yeah! Probably! Probably way too early! But Kawhi Leonard looks absolutely awesome (31 points in the Raptors Friday win againstthe Celtics), and Kyle Lowry (28 points and 12 assists) helped the Raptors get a nice road win at Washington with Leonard resting on the second night of a back-to-back. This defense has a chance at becoming elite.

SI (1):
    https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/22/nb...s-opening-week

I was prepared to leave Toronto at No. 2 after pulling out the thriller against the Celtics. Then, without Kawhi, the Raptors went on the road and earned another victory on the second night of a back-to-back that they had every reason to lose. Kyle Lowry might be down a best friend, but the championship experience provided by Leonard and Danny Green will mean more than pregame handshakes come May. And through one week in October, it seems it is already paying off.

They like us. They really, really like us!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! I've never seen so much love!!!

DAMNNNNNN

Comment

Nice! Nice rankings and real nice effort on putting the compilation together!

Comment

By far my favourite thread each year.

I realized it's been a whole bunch of years given my join date.

These last few have really helped the bell curve.

Comment

Gave the thread a new name Mars, hope you don't mind!

Comment

I think the ESPN blurb gets it exactly right: Leonard has looked a tad rusty on offence, but the fit on this team is amazing.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                Gave the thread a new name Mars, hope you don't mind!
                "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Someone pinch me...on second thoughts if this is a dream, i don't want to wake up! Masai is a freaking genius!

Comment

October 22-28:

ESPN (2) [-]:
                    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...surprise-teams

Only one undefeated team will remain in the association after the Raptors face off against the Bucks in Milwaukee on Monday night. Only three NBA starters have posted a higher true-shooting percentage than Kyle Lowry (72.7 percent), while the Spurs' imports of Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green have been a paragon of two-way efficiency -- both shooting 45 percent or better from 3-point land and stabilizing the wings defensively. -- Arnovitz

NBA.com (1) [-]:
                    https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2018-19-week-3

The guy who came with Kawhi Leonard (who had 35 points on 15-for-23 shooting against Minnesota on Wednesday) from San Antonio has been pretty good, too. The 18 3-pointers than Danny Green has made this season are more than he made in any six-game stretch last season, and with the starting group so dominant --the Raptors have outscored their opponents by 27 points per 100 possessions in 90 minutes with Kyle Lowry, Green, Leonard and Pascal Siakam on the floor together -- it hasn't mattered that they have yet to have both Delon Wright and Fred VanVleet off the bench. But after playing five of their first six games at home, the Raptors will play nine of their next 13 on the road. That stretch includes four back-to-backs, with Leonard having rested the second game of their first one.

CBS Sports (2) [-]:
                    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/powerrankings/

What made the Raptors so great last regular season was their bench unit. The Raptors' bench led all bench units in net rating, and Dwane Casey used his bench more than any NBA coach but one. But thanks to some injury concerns, the Raptors rank 20th in the NBA in bench minutes, and their bench actually is posting a negative net rating. That doesn't seem to matter much, though, because Kawhi Leonard and Kyle Lowry have been magnificent.

SI (1) [-]:
                    https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/29/nb...e-lebron-james

The Raptors continue to look the best of any team in the league. Playing basically every game at home helps make that way easier, but it’s not like they are in charge of constructing their schedule. Monday’s game in Milwaukee should be a great one and an even better test of where this team is. Plus, Kawhi vs. Giannis. What could possibly keep you from watching that matchup?

Comment

I really love the love... but how can we possibly be ranked ahead of GSW?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                        I really love the love... but how can we possibly be ranked ahead of GSW?
                        Last night was case in point.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                          Last night was case in point.
                          GS essentially has 2 guys in the top 5 for ppg and the guy who dropped 52 last night isn't even one of them smdh
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                            GS essentially has 2 guys in the top 5 for ppg and the guy who dropped 52 last night isn't even one of them smdh
                            Boogie is normally a top scorer as well, wait til he's back. He was recently cleared to begin on-court activities, might see him by Christmas they say.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              This is where the unfair advantage comes in. GSW can basically rest their stars, in-game, and still win 60 games while keeping everybody fresh for the playoffs. Other teams limp into the playoffs all banged up. GSW can sit guys out for weeks. Curry missed an entire round last year, whereas other teams would have rushed him back, playing at 50-60%.

Comment

Working...
                              X