Team run it back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.I wrote: View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Lebron does in the West. He always steamrolled through the East due to weaker competition.
    Man, I think people are sleeping on the Lakers. Look at the guys they've brought in...nut cases, but they can defend.

Rondo on Steph - We know when that Steph can be taken out of a game when you have a capable defender on him

Lance on Klay - Big unknown here, but Lance has been know to take guys out of their game. He did pretty well on DeMar through the reg season

Ingram on Draymond - No clue how this goes, but Ingram seems like he could stay with him

Kawahi or LeBron on KD - If its Kawahi then he will neutralize KD, and I think LeBron if he can just focus on one defensive assignment could do the same

Just saying...Lakers are shaping their roster specifically to take down GS. No idea where they are going to get scoring from other than LeBron, but defensively I wouldn't sleep on them.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Man, I think people are sleeping on the Lakers. Look at the guys they've brought in...nut cases, but they can defend.

Rondo on Steph - We know when that Steph can be taken out of a game when you have a capable defender on him

Lance on Klay - Big unknown here, but Lance has been know to take guys out of their game. He did pretty well on DeMar through the reg season

Ingram on Draymond - No clue how this goes, but Ingram seems like he could stay with him

Kawahi or LeBron on KD - If its Kawahi then he will neutralize KD, and I think LeBron if he can just focus on one defensive assignment could do the same

Just saying...Lakers are shaping their roster specifically to take down GS. No idea where they are going to get scoring from other than LeBron, but defensively I wouldn't sleep on them.
      Lakers don't have Kawhi and aren't getting him this season. If the Spurs liked what LAL had to offer the trade would be done already.

Lebron is the only one who is an elite defender.

Rondo hasn't had a great defensive season since 2014, he won't be able to do shit to stop Steph.

Lance Stephenson hasn't been a good defender since 2013 when he initially left the Pacers. Klay will score all over him with ease.

Ingram and Ball are both terrible defensively.

Lopez has never been a good defender.

LAL roster looks a lot better if it was 2013, not 2018.

Comment

Would love to see Lebron miss the playoffs. Wouldn't bet against it, but would still love it. They would get stream rolled by GSW though. I like the Cavs team from last year more than the Lakers team next year (so far).

Comment

I don't see the Raptors losing to any team in the Eastern Conference in a 7 game series. Even against a healthy Boston or Philly team...

The Raptors, despite being swept by the Cavs (which I think people are reading too much into that), are a really good team.

Imagine a scenario where we decided to blow up this team, then Curry is injured during the playoffs, Warriors don't make it through to the finals, and the Celtics or Sixers beat Houston, LA, or OKC...?

That would be 1000000x worse than what we're going through now.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            I'm not team run it back, but this team is perfectly capable of coming out of the East as constructed. If you have a real chance to go to the Finals, you take it.

Now, personally, I think the chances are better if they find a new home for DeMar, who is often more a liability than a help in the playoffs. But I don't think there's any reason to believe that the Raptors will be unable to compete for the Eastern Conference crown this coming year.
            Remember all those posts re tanking in Decembers in years gone past when we would be at 7-13? Just get to the Finals. We’ll get swept. It’s ok. Better than 10 years ago.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
              Houston? Lakers have more moves to make before the free agency is done I think.
              Houston is the one team that could challenge Warriors. We match up well against Houston. Everything would have to align but I would much rather be where we are now than than where we have been in the past.

Comment

Playoff Rondo is very much a thing. I agree the Lakers are preparing specifically for the Warriors, just like Houston did.

But I also think Houston losing Ariza and Mbah a Moute is huge. Their defensively strong, switchable perimeter defenders were critical for their success vs GS. Ariza and Mbah a Moute played big minutes at a key position and Tucker can't fill all the gaps. I think Houston loses half a step on GS and will have a hard time with Cousins.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Playoff Rondo is very much a thing. I agree the Lakers are preparing specifically for the Warriors, just like Houston did.

But I also think Houston losing Ariza and Mbah a Moute is huge. Their defensively strong, switchable perimeter defenders were critical for their success vs GS. Ariza and Mbah a Moute played big minutes at a key position and Tucker can't fill all the gaps. I think Houston loses half a step on GS and will have a hard time with Cousins.
                  The true battle is for who the next best team is: rockets or Lakers. At first blush it's obviously rockets, but for me my money will always stay with LeBron advancing
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Houston is the one team that could challenge Warriors. We match up well against Houston. Everything would have to align but I would much rather be where we are now than than where we have been in the past.
                    We won't be in the hands of incompetent management or have an ownership group which cares more about its retirement fund. One of Ujiri's strengths are finding talent and MLSE hasn't been shy with spending. As long as they are around we won't be going back to where we were even in the case of a rebuild.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

I'm telling you, people are sleeping on the Lakers. It's crazy how good and how bad it could turn out for them.

Comment

I'm on team "get better" (not tank), mainly because:

A. Looking at it objectively, even if I believe tanking can be an effective strategy, the team is not at the stage in its cycle to execute a proper tank. They just won 59 games. If they tried, they would most likely be stuck at 7th-9th, still drafting late.

B. I want to make the finals. I don't buy the argument of "goal should be championship, GSW will win it all, so why bother". A finals appearance would be huge for this team because:
                        1. It will give our young guys the confidence and experience that only an NBA finals truly gives you, priming them for a future championship
                        2. It would redeem our vets and help shed the label of playoff chokers, increasing their value further as expiring contracts
                        3. It's something this team never done before. Once you begin a tank, it could be 7+ yrs before we can dream of being in the finals again
                        4. It would strenghten the Raptors credibility/potential as a free agent destination, helping the rebuild
                        5. Revenue. The kind of revenue for the team that will strenghten the franchise as a market.
                        6. Once you're in the finals, anything can conceivably happen. It would be very unlikely, but if you got a KD & Curry injury, you can dream.
                        7. This is debatable, but in my view, deferring the tank will detach us further chronologically from the rebuild of Philly & Boston. Looks like their rebuild will peak somewhere when GSW is still dominant, while ours in the future could peak right when GSW (and LBJ) are declining.

Having said that, doesn't mean I just want to "run it back". Taking risks to make the team better like going for Kawhi or Butler is the right move. If there was ever a time to take risks, that time is now at the sunset of this window. So long as it's with the goal to make the team better this year.
                        Last edited by inthepaint; Fri Jul 6, 2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          If you go by Vegas, then the Raps are significantly less favored than Boston (+400) or Philly (+600) to win the championship. Raps are at (+3000).
                          +3000? I love those odds.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            Tank is coming sooner or later. Lowry is aging and Derozan has obvious limitations and is not young either.
                            We have 1 of the youngest teams;
                            Our bench was 1 of the best (4/5 guys are very young);
                            Is it possible that 1-2 guys fromt hat bench (plus young Ogy) develop into all stars (ie another KL or DD)?
                            At the begining of last season did anybodyu dream that FVV would finish top 3 for 6th man? Heck most would have though other young guys were more likely to improve drastically.
                            As Dan H said earlier, it makes a lot of sense to "thread water" as a 50+ win team w a legit chance of at least getting to ECF & w a bit of luck....
                            Sprinkle a bit ofd luck & some Masai magic and who knows?
                            If we are 500 team after this year (or next year trade deadline) & KL & DD are showing decline AND none of young ones step forward, then AND ONLY THEN trade old assets for draft choices/young talent from other teams.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              If DD and Lowry both missed the entire season with injuries I think we're still a playoff team in the East. You can't underestimate how shitty the East is right now.

If we want a lotto pick we need to deal someone for an unprotected future 1st and hope the team we traded with shits the bed that year. Basically what Boston did to Brooklyn.
                              And that my friend is a problem. I doubt we will see another Bos/Nets trade soon without protection. But can Masai parlay say Delon into a young drafted player (along the line G Hill for K Leonard or ???into D Mitchell). We are 10,11 deep.
                              We (basically) traded C Jo (who was very expandable) for Miles. Perhaps this was not lopsided but you see where this might end up whenever you trade from position of strength (and being 10,11 deep is our strength).

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
                                7. This is debatable, but in my view, deferring the tank will detach us further chronologically from the rebuild of Philly & Boston. Looks like their rebuild will peak somewhere when GSW is still dominant, while ours in the future could peak right when GSW (and LBJ) are declining.

Having said that, doesn't mean I just want to "run it back". Taking risks to make the team better like going for Kawhi or Butler is the right move. If there was ever a time to take risks, that time is now at the sunset of this window. So long as it's with the goal to make the team better this year.
                                GS might be shoe-in to win it all this year, but happens then?
                                Boogie likely flies then next year (& year after) both D Green K Thompson are up for renewal. You think after 4-5 championships they give GS a hometown discount? I doubt it. If they resign all, payroll would be off the charts (way worse than OKC 300 mil). Lets lurk around.
                                Besides, with all their power, Houston nearly knocked them out. I'd like my chances vs Houston. Lets be ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X