Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Raptors Become the Northern Spurs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the Raptors Become the Northern Spurs?

They could....with a proviso. The current philosophy favouring development, continuity and culture has produced 4 consecutive playoff teams (and this year seems certain). While I don't think anyone sees Casey as a Popovich I feel that he is competent as a manager of men if somewhat less so as a manager of games. I could see a future where he becomes GM and Stackhouse (or Lowry!?) takes over as coach.

I really like this approach. It's great having a consistently good team. I even like our broadcast crew far more than most in the NBA. But the dilemma is that this approach may NOT produce a championship. One could compare this team to the early 2000's Pistons who won two...but that was not the era of the "super team". The current Raptors might have a shot if you could freeze Kyle and Demar for a few years and let the bench mob grow up a bit.

The problems for Toronto are many. The weak Canadian dollar, the lack of exposure on American television and the generally perceived "uncoolness" of Canada to many American players make it an unattractive free agent destination. Toronto will always be in the playoffs with the current approach so will never "tank" and get into the lottery. So only very astute or lucky drafting or trades could land the superstar who is probably needed. I personally still prefer this approach and will simply hope for a miracle.

This should perhaps be another post but I HATE the lottery. I feel that perhaps the four finalists every year should draft last but all the rest should have an equal chance. That would make tanking superfluous. Perhaps the teams that drafted in the bottom half one year would automatically draft in the first half the following year. Teams should be rewarded for competence, not punished. But I've been hearing a lot of self congratulatory talk on broadcasts of late of the wonderful "parity" in the league. Well.....no. Only one team can really win this year.....and in the east there are maybe a few than can push Cleveland to 6 or 7 games. I'd love to see teams with strong management have a chance to win; not teams that attract disgruntled superstars looking for rings. If Lebron ends up going to Philly I might have to stop watching. I

All we are is a new version of the Hawks not the Spurs.

The limiting reagent in being the Spurs was Tim Duncan. It's not JUST a culture thing, you have to have that transcendent talent, otherwise you're what Atlanta was for 3-4 years a few years back with Teague, Korver, Millsap, Horford.

Comment

They are more like the Mavs in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Mitch P wrote: View Post
        The current philosophy favouring development, continuity and culture has produced 4 consecutive playoff teams (and this year seems certain).

I really like this approach. It's great having a consistently good team. But the dilemma is that this approach may NOT produce a championship.
        First, I'd say that the "current philosophy favouring development, continuity and culture" started this year so hasn't produced 4 consecutive playoff teams. Prior seasons where predominantly iso/hero ball and resulted in competitive seasons and then playoffs with limited success.

But that success has been limited primarily because we live in an era of a super player and super teams .... we (like most other teams not named GSW) would have to be lucky AND good.

I find a zen acknowledgement that this team will be fun and competitive and win more than their fair of games while not overly worrying whether they are likely to win it all at this point in time.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
          First, I'd say that the "current philosophy favouring development, continuity and culture" started this year so hasn't produced 4 consecutive playoff teams. Prior seasons where predominantly iso/hero ball and resulted in competitive seasons and then playoffs with limited success.

But that success has been limited primarily because we live in an era of a super player and super teams .... we (like most other teams not named GSW) would have to be lucky AND good.

I find a zen acknowledgement that this team will be fun and competitive and win more than their fair of games while not overly worrying whether they are likely to win it all at this point in time.
          That philosophy clearly started a few years back. After the Lowry trade got axed and the team became good MU kept rolling with the same core we have now. The only thin thats really changed this season is a greater emphasis on ball movement.

Comment

Its hard to duplicate the Spurs success but Masai is doing a good job with what he's got. Spurs however are still better in player development, still have the greatest coach and still have a star player in Kawahi. Those things are what makes this franchise special.

Comment

Our coaching system is fine because there isn't one person only calling the shots its an all in one system... I think we could eb poised to be better than most hting

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

It could be argued that the "continuity" part was the decision to stick with the Casey/Lowry/DeRozan core all this time. Going on 5 years now.

Comment

Raptors are consistently a 50 win team without any superstars on their roster. Not a lot of teams can say the same. The system clearly works, now we just need to get that superstar to see how far we can go. At some point they will have to invest more heavily into moving up in the draft because they haven't had much luck in free agency.

Comment

Do we have a Tim Duncan type of player?
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                      Do we have a Tim Duncan type of player?
                      Siakam or Jakob

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        Siakam or Jakob
                        I was thinking JV.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

All we need is 3-4 HOF players, one of which was the greatest PF of all time, the GOAT coach n this would be an accurate comparison.

Comment

It's hard to copy success in the NBA since most champions had a super star (or two) on them. Pistons '05 is probably the closest but even they had a great roster.

But I understand the connection to the Spurs. The Spurs are one of the only teams that use their farm system to produce talent. Without the ability to attract star talent like the Spurs (with LMA being the exception).. this is not a bad way to do things.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                              Siakam or Jakob
                              TIM Duncan, not Dunk'n Donuts
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X