No announcement yet.

How would you change the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I don't know enough about all this cap stuff, though it's interesting. But as for fixing the draft, which sounds like it might fix a lot, why not just give the number 1 & number 2 picks to whoever finished ninth in each conference? I haven't thought the whole thing out, but maybe 3rd and 4th to the 8 seeds as well, so teams still want to make the playoffs, or something. The point is, no more draft lottery, instead, reward teams for getting certain places like ninth, then everyone will be doing their best to win, cousins gets offers, and so on. And maybe you don't even need to incentivize teams to do better than 9th, as making the playoffs might be incentive enough due to extra revenue gained from playoff games, etc.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Same thing I've been saying since the 2011 lockout.

Hard cap. No individual max. High minimums to get the players association to pass it. Done.
      I like this.

And I would change the draft process: A DRAFT AUCTION could be so much fun.

1) Whoever ends up in the last place has the first vote to sign a player out of the draft class for 3 years - at an arbitrarily high contract level
      2) BUT: Every other team can outdo this contract. The team that offers the most gets the player.
      3) If the team with the first vote fails to sign it's first option, try again!

That's the basic idea. But of course there is still a lot to be done in detail. e.g.

* Do we need limits what a team may spend at the auction - depending on where you have finished the regular season? Probably! But the differences should not be too high.
      * How can that be compatible with the hard cap? The amount a team can spend at the auction (up to the team limit) = hard cap - team salary + annual hard cap raise
      * If teams have no money left, but still have draft picks - bad luck!
      Last edited by gk17; Wed Jul 4, 2018, 04:28 AM.

Comment

gk17 wrote: View Post
        I like this.

And I would change the draft process: A DRAFT AUCTION could be so much fun.

1) Whoever ends up in the last place has the first vote to sign a player out of the draft class for 3 years - at an arbitrarily high contract level
        2) BUT: Every other team can outdo this contract. The team that offers the most gets the player.
        3) If the team with the first vote fails to sign it's first option, try again!

That's the basic idea. But of course there is still a lot to be done in detail. e.g.

* Do we need limits what a team may spend at the auction - depending on where you have finished the regular season? Probably! But the differences should not be too high.
        * How can that be compatible with the hard cap? The amount a team can spend at the auction (up to the team limit) = hard cap - team salary + annual hard cap raise
        * If teams have no money left, but still have draft picks - bad luck!
        The draft auction idea is really compatible with another suggestion I've seen - which is holding the draft AFTER free agency. Then teams would know what cap room they have to bid at the draft.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          The draft auction idea is really compatible with another suggestion I've seen - which is holding the draft AFTER free agency. Then teams would know what cap room they have to bid at the draft.
          Like it, but I see two problems: the Summer League and the rookies have less time to prepare for the season with their new team.

Comment

gk17 wrote: View Post
            Like it, but I see two problems: the Summer League and the rookies have less time to prepare for the season with their new team.
            Right now Summer League happens really early. Could easily be in August instead.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I like the draft after free agency proposal. Hope that one sticks. Makes trading picks and draft rights a lot easier.

Comment

I really like the draft after free agency idea. I also love the idea of getting rid of the draft. The worse teams can offer the prospects more money (like maybe a lot more), but they also have the option of playing with a decent team for less if they want. Would a prospect turn down Sacremento, Atlanta or Cleveland offering $10 million annually to play in Boston for $2 million? Maybe, buts thats the fun of it all.

Comment

I like the hard cap idea, including no exceptions. 70% of your cap to sign a max free agent sounds great, and then a higher minimum based on years of service or an arbitrator can put a minimum price tag on players. I don't believe in fully waiving a player without recourse. But if you want to waive a healthy player an arbitrator can decide how much will go against your cap.

I also think the contracts could be longer. If a player chooses to get locked in for 10 years why not let him?

Comment

Working...
                  X