Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What star will be available this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Yeah that's almost a perfect fit but really I don't even see what we'd offer that Cleveland would want for Love if they blew it up.

I brought up Melo because his value is really low and the Knicks are basically trying to get "not nothing" for him, so he's the only realistic target of the 4 guys that have been mentioned (Gasol, Cousins, Melo, Love).
    Melo only wants to go to Houston though.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Melo of course should be a guy to look out for as well. Tbh if we're the #1 seed around the break and have a real shot at having homecourt advantage throughout the east playoffs, I offer the Knicks JV+Filler to match salary and pull the trigger on that. They wouldn't likely be able to demand as many assets back in terms of picks and young players so Valanciunas, Bebe and some of these end of bench guys that are making like 1.3M per year (McDaniels, FVV, Wiltjer, etc) likely gets that done.

That'd give us a pretty nasty lineup to at least have a shot at getting out of the east.
      Melo has a no-trade clause, and even if he did agree to come here, it's hard to imagine a worse fit. He's a ball-pounding iso-scorer who takes a lot of mid-range jumpshots... It'd be like pairing DeMar and Rudy all over again.

And it's doubtful we could get him for JV+filler given that they have Porzingis and Hernangomez.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Melo has a no-trade clause, and even if he did agree to come here, it's hard to imagine a worse fit. He's a ball-pounding iso-scorer who takes a lot of mid-range jumpshots... It'd be like pairing DeMar and Rudy all over again.

And it's doubtful we could get him for JV+filler given that they have Porzingis and Hernangomez.
        Carmelo>Rudy Gay.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Forgot to mention LMA. He would probably be the most attainable with our current assests.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Melo only wants to go to Houston though.

I know he has a no-trade clause. I put a disclaimer of us being 1st in the east at the time (or around there) for a reason. I don't see why he'd turn down the chance to join the East's top team and going on a deep playoff run. Toronto isn't exactly that far from New York either and it's still a major market. Plus he'd likely get a chance to go up against LeBron.

As for on the court, he's another guy who can create and make shots, and he's a massive upgrade on anyone we have at that 3/4 combo forward position. People always want to go back to Rudy Gay, but the main problem with Rudy Gay wasn't his ability as a player it was how he was marketed and branded, and as a result the attitude he had towards playing. BC brought him in as the star of the team and he took it upon himself to try to will the team to victory every game. When he left and joined Sacramento who already had an established star, he was a much better and more efficient player. And Melo is better than him.

He'd be very useful to have. Like I already said he gives us a 3rd guy who can create his own shot, and he's someone who does well in pressure situations. Melo is also an excellent spot up player -- 94th percentile last year, scoring 1.23 points per possession in his spot up opportunities (most of which were 3s, you can tell from the 1.5 FGM per game and 4.3 point scored). That's something we could really utilize to help open up the floor, especially in those lineups with Ibaka at the 5. On top of that, though he wasn't very effective at this last year (no good pick and roll partner) I think we could run some sets with him as a pick and pop partner for DeMar or Kyle that'd be very effective. He's also still very effective in clutch situations, and could give us a bigger version of what Paul Pierce did for the Wizards the year they swept us or Brooklyn the year prior.

Comment

Anthony Davis...because he will demand a trade!

We can dream, right?

Comment

Melo is a better version of DeMar in the sense that both players hang their hats on scoring, but Melo has more range, and higher basketball IQ. Demar is younger and hungrier at this point in their respective careers. I'd be fine with one or the other but together seems like a bad fit. I don't think you can maximize both players. If I had to pick one for this season it would be Melo hands down, but DD has youth on his side so is the better choice for the long haul.

Comment

Carmelo>Rudy Gay.

No shit. I was referring to the play style. We'd just be taking turns iso-ing all over again.

I know he has a no-trade clause. I put a disclaimer of us being 1st in the east at the time (or around there) for a reason. I don't see why he'd turn down the chance to join the East's top team and going on a deep playoff run. Toronto isn't exactly that far from New York either and it's still a major market. Plus he'd likely get a chance to go up against LeBron.

As for on the court, he's another guy who can create and make shots, and he's a massive upgrade on anyone we have at that 3/4 combo forward position. People always want to go back to Rudy Gay, but the main problem with Rudy Gay wasn't his ability as a player it was how he was marketed and branded, and as a result the attitude he had towards playing. BC brought him in as the star of the team and he took it upon himself to try to will the team to victory every game. When he left and joined Sacramento who already had an established star, he was a much better and more efficient player. And Melo is better than him.

He'd be very useful to have. Like I already said he gives us a 3rd guy who can create his own shot, and he's someone who does well in pressure situations. Melo is also an excellent spot up player -- 94th percentile last year, scoring 1.23 points per possession in his spot up opportunities (most of which were 3s, you can tell from the 1.5 FGM per game and 4.3 point scored). That's something we could really utilize to help open up the floor, especially in those lineups with Ibaka at the 5. On top of that, though he wasn't very effective at this last year (no good pick and roll partner) I think we could run some sets with him as a pick and pop partner for DeMar or Kyle that'd be very effective. He's also still very effective in clutch situations, and could give us a bigger version of what Paul Pierce did for the Wizards the year they swept us or Brooklyn the year prior.
                  Melo was 65th out of 70 small forwards in terms of DRPM last season. He's 33 with knee problems. He's not a great facilitator and the ball sticks with him. If you're getting him for spot up shooting there are cheaper options.

Having one sketchy defense, long-jumper volume scorer is fine. Having two is asking for trouble.

But hey if we exhaust all other options and the Knicks magically agree to do the deal for JV when they already have two centers, why the hell not.

Comment

I guess we can take Melo off the list. Praying everyday for LMA/Boogie.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

No shit. I was referring to the play style. We'd just be taking turns iso-ing all over again.

Melo was 65th out of 70 small forwards in terms of DRPM last season. He's 33 with knee problems. He's not a great facilitator and the ball sticks with him. If you're getting him for spot up shooting there are cheaper options.

Having one sketchy defense, long-jumper volume scorer is fine. Having two is asking for trouble.

But hey if we exhaust all other options and the Knicks magically agree to do the deal for JV
                      when they already have two centers, why the hell not.
                      Welp they just did it for Kanter.

Comment

Welp they just did it for Kanter.
                        And McDermott. So it would have been a JV-Powell-pick deal equivalent. Personally, I would not trade that package for Melo.

But yeah, Knicks gonna Knicks.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I guess we can take Melo off the list. Praying everyday for LMA/Boogie.

Did anybody want Melo? I personally also don't want Aldridge. He's an aging malcontent who really hasn't made the Spurs better since getting there. I don't just want to add big names. People should not confuse "all champions have star players" with "every star players help make a champion"
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Did anybody want Melo? I personally also don't want Aldridge. He's an aging malcontent who really hasn't made the Spurs better since getting there. I don't just want to add big names. People should not confuse "all champions have star players" with "every star players help make a champion"
                            Didn't want Melo, don't want Aldridge.

I would love for Boogie to become available but I highly doubt it happens. I think the Pels will surprise to the upside.

At this point my main hope is for Marc Gasol, given everyone else has moved teams. I don't think there's really another top 50 player who will likely be on the block except Eric Bledsoe, who could be useful but doesn't fill our positional needs.

Beyond that I think we're going to need to target under-the-radar forwards who could break out in the right situation. If the Suns find Bender superfluous he might be worth a shot. I like Chriss better but so do they.

Comment

^ Also in the under-the-radar category, I could see Jabari Parker becoming available. Could be an interesting fit with the Raps in a big SF, small-ball PF role. Not great foot-speed or interested too much in playing defense.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                ^ Also in the under-the-radar category, I could see Jabari Parker becoming available. Could be an interesting fit with the Raps in a big SF, small-ball PF role. Not great foot-speed or interested too much in playing defense.
                                I highly doubt MIL trades Parker to a conference rival that is fighting for THE same Playoff spots and fresh off of being eliminated BY the Raptors lol...not a chance in hell they allow someone who they're trying to get through to get better/tougher to beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X