Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What star will be available this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In order to get Gasol you'd have to include a third team. Flip JV for a young asset or an expiring and then flip that to Memphis. Perhaps JV to Chicago for Mirotic.. then Mirotic/Bebe/Wright to Memphis. Can throw in a 2nd rounder.. or really protect the first in 2020 (although even that can be dangerous).

Comment

• Conley's contract would be very hard to move. Has 3 years after this one (although his last year is a player option). But he's making over $30M a year. I don't even know if Brooklyn would take that deal.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        Don't think we have the assets to get him without putting OG on the table which I don't want to do, but we'll see what happens.
        I think the question is whether you would move Poeltl in a Gasol deal. Including OG is really difficult salary wise even if we were willing to part with him (which we aren't). But Poeltl fits the deal nicely. Ultimately the question is if the Grizz are content with Poeltl, a 2nd rounder, and JV (plus filler). I doubt they are, but I think there's also an interesting conundrum for the Raps in that deal - do they bail on potentially a decade of quality C play from Poeltl to upgrade for a couple (crucial) seasons?
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          I think the question is whether you would move Poeltl in a Gasol deal. Including OG is really difficult salary wise even if we were willing to part with him (which we aren't). But Poeltl fits the deal nicely. Ultimately the question is if the Grizz are content with Poeltl, a 2nd rounder, and JV (plus filler). I doubt they are, but I think there's also an interesting conundrum for the Raps in that deal - do they bail on potentially a decade of quality C play from Poeltl to upgrade for a couple (crucial) seasons?
          The usual answer is if you get the chance to go all in, you do it. It's a lot easier to find the next Poeltl than to get your team into the top tier in the league. But I don't know if a soon to be 33 year old Gasol takes the Raptors to the final level? There's a serious fit issue we can't ignore, Memphis had to stick with grit'n'grind to get the most out of Gasol and Z-Bo, when they tried to modernize their play it went terribly.

Maybe that's overthinking it. The other simplified maxim is if you get the best player in the deal, you won the deal. Gasol would be the best player in the deal hands down.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Of course he would. But the Grizz won't move him, not right after firing the coach.
            I suspect the fire sale begins by the deadline. They are horri-awful as Shaq would say.

Remember when they traded Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol? We just gotta get charming Masai to convince them that its the same thing as in 2017 trading Marc Gasol for Jonas Valanciunas
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Gasol would not make this team a contending team.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                Gasol would not make this team a contending team.
                Nope. Only about 5 players would. LeBron, steph, kd, anthony Davis, Harden
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

For the title, probably not; it increases our small chances though.

But I think it'd give us an outside shot of beating Cleveland. The way to beat LeBron teams is to dominate the matchups at the other 4 positions and have someone who can sort of many LeBron not completely invincible (which OG might be able to do, doubt it but we'll see). If we get Gasol we're likely going to win the matchup at PG, SG and center. If Ibaka plays like how he has been the past 7 games, he can outplay Love over the course of a series imo. And if our kids step up off the bench our bench could potentially outplay theirs even with D-Whistle there.

It's a lot that has to break right for us, but Gasol makes the math easier. Tbh if all they want is JV, Poeltl, Bruno and a 2nd or something I'd do it even though I love Poeltl long-term and figure it out a long-term solution at center later. Use the next 2-3 years trying to take real shots at making the NBA Finals and see what happens.

EDIT: The other advantage is that this would make us CLEARLY better than the other teams in the East imo, including Boston. Having those first 1-2 series be easier so we have more rest for a matchup with Cleveland could be very helpful.

Comment

• After watching the bench the past few days (and I'm sure this is just recency bias).. But, I have no problems packaging any of Siakam, Poeltl, FVV or even Wright for a guy like Gasol. I like the bench but most of them appear to be fungible players.

Poeltl is probably the best of the bench but he's no star. Just a guy. And those are not to hard to find in the league.

The only young piece worth keeping in my opinion is OG. He should be untouchable unless if someone like Kwahi or AD wants to come here.

Comment

• If you can get Marc Gasol you go for it, end of story

Comment

• I must be seeeriously underrating Gasol, cause there is no way I give up on the long term future of this franchise for him. I still don't think you can play both him and Ibaka, together down the stretch of a series against Cav's or Warriors.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          I must be seeeriously underrating Gasol, cause there is no way I give up on the long term future of this franchise for him. I still don't think you can play both him and Ibaka, together down the stretch of a series against Cav's or Warriors.
                          I think you are underrating Marc Gasol a bit and I also think you are overrating our long term future a bit

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                            If you can get Marc Gasol you go for it, end of story
                            I'd add the caveat of keeping the other 4 starters and future 1sts but yeah.

Comment

Wouldn't make them a contending team cause they already are a contending team.

Comment

• Gasol is having his career worst season and he's been declining since 14-15 season.

He's not going to be better next season.

This would be an "all in on this season" move.

I don't think that makes much sense for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X