An idea for our best lineup strategy this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    If OG can start by end of the year, it's going to create some interesting line-up's. Hope he is working on his 3pt shot.
    It really is. And he definitely is.

Comment

• They didn't pay him the big bucks to come off the bench, but I wonder if they would give thought to bringing Ibaka off the bench and starting OG with JV in the regular season. Maybe OG and Ibaka in the playoffs if they need to go small.

Comment

They didn't pay him the big bucks to come off the bench, but I wonder if they would give thought to bringing Ibaka off the bench and starting OG with JV in the regular season. Maybe OG and Ibaka in the playoffs if they need to go small.
        Why?
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

They didn't pay him the big bucks to come off the bench, but I wonder if they would give thought to bringing Ibaka off the bench and starting OG with JV in the regular season. Maybe OG and Ibaka in the playoffs if they need to go small.
          I don't understand. We've spent years in the desert, having no functional starting C, and finally drafted JV. Then we spent years in the desert with no functional starting PF and finally traded for Ibaka. Now everyone wants one or the other to come off the bench.

Do not get it.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            I don't understand. We've spent years in the desert, having no functional starting C, and finally drafted JV. Then we spent years in the desert with no functional starting PF and finally traded for Ibaka. Now everyone wants one or the other to come off the bench.

Do not get it.
            It's not always as simple as starting your 5 best players.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              It's not always as simple as starting your 5 best players.
              And who suggested it was? It's not about starting your best players, it's about some players being starter-quality and others not being starter-quality. We were scuttled by not having a starter-quality PF for years, now we have one and we consider not starting him?

Fit matters. Absolutely. But if the talent level isn't there, it kind of doesn't. Downgrading to Siakam or a rookie in the starting lineup is not the way to go, no matter how you feel about JV and Ibaka's fit (which I maintain is actually very good).

When you've got guys of arguably similar overall talent levels (such as Powell vs Miles, or some might say Scola vs Patterson), then fit should be the deciding factor. But playing guys against competition they can't really compete against, when you've got established starters just sitting there? Wrong move, basically every time.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• We'll see what happens. Season is about to start and we're going to see how the Ibaka-JV lineups do.

Comment

And who suggested it was? It's not about starting your best players, it's about some players being starter-quality and others not being starter-quality. We were scuttled by not having a starter-quality PF for years, now we have one and we consider not starting him?

Fit matters. Absolutely. But if the talent level isn't there, it kind of doesn't. Downgrading to Siakam or a rookie in the starting lineup is not the way to go, no matter how you feel about JV and Ibaka's fit (which I maintain is actually very good).

When you've got guys of arguably similar overall talent levels (such as Powell vs Miles, or some might say Scola vs Patterson), then fit should be the deciding factor. But playing guys against competition they can't really compete against, when you've got established starters just sitting there? Wrong move, basically every time.
                  Preach!
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                    We'll see what happens. Season is about to start and we're going to see how the Ibaka-JV lineups do.
                    It's just preseason, but overall it looks like so far, so good. I think what has changed the equation is the different style of play and the work JV has put in on the goals he was given (recognize better, make decisions faster, pass it back out if you don't have an immediate play). The coach wants him to create more from a high post position and he appears to be doing it.

Comment

One thing to watch for is if and when they make changes to their roster. Ainge isn't stupid. He know's how bad his roster is on the defensive end and he's always in a position to make a trade with the assets he's accumulated. I don't see Horford there long term...doesn't fit with the timeline for Boston's eventual contention window.
                      I think Ainge lucked into KG/Allen one offseason, the Brooklyn picks one other offseason, and has otherwise generally been a mediocre GM.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Do not get it.
                        The idea behind it was to be more mobile. The drawback of JV and Ibaka together is when teams go small we have a hard time defending the perimeter. OG and Ibaka pairing creates some rebounding issues because neither is great at that. But JV and OG might make for an interesting combo..OG with his mobility and JV with his rebounding. There couls be some issues with this on offence as neither player is known for shooting from range, but there is a tone of potential on defence. Having said this I don't see them moving Ibaka to the bench after giving him such a big contract.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          I think Ainge lucked into KG/Allen one offseason, the Brooklyn picks one other offseason, and has otherwise generally been a mediocre GM.
                          Luck or not, he's poised to make a big trade whenever one presents itself.

Comment

The idea behind it was to be more mobile. The drawback of JV and Ibaka together is when teams go small we have a hard time defending the perimeter. OG and Ibaka pairing creates some rebounding issues because neither is great at that. But JV and OG might make for an interesting combo..OG with his mobility and JV with his rebounding. There couls be some issues with this on offence as neither player is known for shooting from range, but there is a tone of potential on defence. Having said this I don't see them moving Ibaka to the bench after giving him such a big contract.
                            Sounds like overthinking. It's an 82 game slog. Most teams won't start super small and most teams don't have the personnel to cause much of a concern. That lineup option is always there but suggesting to start out with it, especially with OG having no experience (and hopefully they want to ease him into a larger workload after the injury), is getting too far ahead.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Well, the IT trade turned out to be a pretty good one too. And he got Crowder and two picks for Rondo. He's also made a ton of moves that haven't moved the needle but he's hit on a few. Drafting wise....ehh.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                                Sounds like overthinking. It's an 82 game slog. Most teams won't start super small and most teams don't have the personnel to cause much of a concern. That lineup option is always there but suggesting to start out with it, especially with OG having no experience (and hopefully they want to ease him into a larger workload after the injury), is getting too far ahead.
                                Very true, and my post prior mentions hoping OG can start by the end of the year (meant towards end of season heading into playoffs or hopefully after all star break). Also, it's preseason and all the talk is how we don't have a chance against LBJ, so definitely going to over thinking it. We already know JV/Ibaka tandem is going to be too much for most teams. It's the playoff challenges I'm thinking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X