Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe wrote: View Post
    Actually offensive rebounds factor into usage.
    Directly, they really don't. Putback shot attempts off of them do.

Still, the point stands - even with his putback attempts, he had a usage of only 23% in the Indiana series, and under 20% in the MIA series before that third game where they just let him loose (he was posting a 37% usage for that game until he got hurt).
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      In an alternate universe, where JV joins the Raptors in 2009 and DeRozan joins as a rookie in 2012, this is a scenario that possibly happens.

It goes to show the importance of timing and opportunity. Raps have designed an entire offense to take advantage of DeMar's unique strengths on offense, minimizing his weaknesses on both offense (3-pt shooting) and overall defense. They've developed DeMar and the roster to work around him.

In the alternate JV arrives first universe, the Raps develop a Grizzlie style big man offense around JV and DeMar is told to improve his 3&D game, as well as learning how to feed the post.
      This is of course assuming JV becomes the best passing bigman in the league and adds a reliable three point shot while being an All-NBA Defender with a DPOY trophy under his belt.

Comment

• If I'm JV I'm working hard on my three point shot and passing skills over the summer. You wanna stay o the court as a skilled offensive big who isn't good defensively? Acquire and advance yourself in as many skills as possible. The more multi-faceted of a threat you are the harder it is to justify taking off your offensive capabilities in favour of a better defender.

People continually scoff at this but look at what the best offensive centers in the league are doing. Gasol, Cousins and even Brook Lopez all expanding their range and improving their passing ability (all three averaging career highs in 3PA, 3PM, 3P% and AST%). JV should get on that as well.

Comment

This is of course assuming JV becomes the best passing bigman in the league and adds a reliable three point shot while being an All-NBA Defender with a DPOY trophy under his belt.
          What does the defense have to do with the offense being run?

Lupe wrote: View Post
          If I'm JV I'm working hard on my three point shot and passing skills over the summer. You wanna stay o the court as a skilled offensive big who isn't good defensively? Acquire and advance yourself in as many skills as possible. The more multi-faceted of a threat you are the harder it is to justify taking off your offensive capabilities in favour of a better defender.

People continually scoff at this but look at what the best offensive centers in the league are doing. Gasol, Cousins and even Brook Lopez all expanding their range and improving their passing ability (all three averaging career highs in 3PA, 3PM, 3P% and AST%). JV should get on that as well.
          He's super efficient in the post (one of the best in the league on a yearly basis). Why take him away from there? Also their teams are all severely lacking reliable 3 point shooters. The Raptors are 2nd in the league in 3pt%.

Comment

• I do think passing/playmaking improvement will go a long way to keep him on the court. Bebe's passing is a big part of what's getting him minutes, even at power forward (it's not like it's his outside shooting).

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              I do think passing/playmaking improvement will go a long way to keep him on the court. Bebe's passing is a big part of what's getting him minutes, even at power forward (it's not like it's his outside shooting).
              If Bebe's passing has anything to do with him getting minutes that's stupid, because he's mostly just swinging it to the open man in the corner, and he is pretty much completely useless offensively beyond that and dunking. He isn't exactly making difficult passes, it's just when he catches it 6-8 ft from the basket he is unable to accomplish anything beyond that same pass to the corner, which has become his default "move" catching it in the paint. It's a nightmare from a scouting perspective.

*Seriously, someone on the staff needs to be forcing this kid to take like 2000 floaters/baby hooks a day from that spot so that he's not completely predictable when he catches it there.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jan 11, 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Let's be real - the Raptors' complete lack of frontcourt depth + Sully's injury are what's getting Bebe this many minutes.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• This is real - Bebe has the best DRTG, the best DBPM and the best DRPM for rotation players on the team.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Yeah; I think people are both over and underrating Bebe.

I was on the Bebe bandwagon from last year after watching him closely with the 905. He`s somewhere in the middle of those extremes.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      This is real - Bebe has the best DRTG, the best DBPM and the best DRPM for rotation players on the team.
                      I honestly think people forget how bad Biz was for a while last season. Dude couldn't catch a pass for most of the year, couldn't hit free throws and didn't put up great numbers defensively. His peak maybe looked better cause he could play with a lot of energy (see playoffs) but when his energy wasn't there he wasn't good. Bebe has some skills.

EDIT: Not to say he doesn't also have a lot of flaws, he is still a young backup big lol

Comment

It's kind of ironic that: passing, 3-pt shooting and defending are exactly the weaknesses of DeMar that the Raps have accepted and built around. You alley-ooped that nicely to prove the point, since you thought I was referring to Marc Gasol. lol.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                          Yeah; I think people are both over and underrating Bebe.

I was on the Bebe bandwagon from last year after watching him closely with the 905. He`s somewhere in the middle of those extremes.
                          I just posted some facts, If I had been asked without knowing those, I wouldn't have guessed he's done so well just by watching him play. I'm sure there's small sample size noise in there, but I'm also sure I'm missing something just watching the games.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            I just posted some facts, If I had been asked without knowing those, I wouldn't have guessed he's done so well just by watching him play. I'm sure there's small sample size noise in there, but I'm also sure I'm missing something just watching the games.
                            Bebe has zero offense other than the ability to catch lobs, but his length disrupts shit in the paint. He's very foul prone but he's our best defending 7 footer by a fairly wide margin. It's just...

"That length!"
                            -matt devlin
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• lupe wrote: View Post
                              jv's too savage lol

2:06: "they're racing for the 2nd place, we're racing for the 1st"

don't kill em jonas!
                              lol!
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

JV's too savage lol

2:06: "They're racing for the 2nd place, we're racing for the 1st"

Don't kill em Jonas!
                                Haha. This is funny. Although I don't think he actually meant it. He just said the truth. We're racing for the 1st place. Fuck off, Boston. Eat leftovers tomorrow. (finger)
                                Last edited by rocwell; Thu Jan 12, 2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X