No announcement yet.

Everything Serge Ibaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see a whit of evidence that Ibaka is our best defensive big. He was nowhere as effective a defensive player as Bebe last season - really no better than JV or Poetl. Ibaka's athleticism is average at best since his knee surgery in 2015. He can still pull off the occasional showy block when the mood strikes him, but he jog-walked back in transition way too often. And that was in a contract year.

On offence Serge is a decent spot up three point shooter, but that's it. If he does anything but catch and shoot his atrocious assist to turnover ratio is going to kill your team offensive efficiency In fact, I'm not sure how the Raptors are going to replace Patterson's quick swing passes. Our guards rarely initiate lateral ball movement and Ibaka and Miles are both non-passers.

I cannot see any rational reason why a team that let Amir and JJ and Pat walk for nothing handed Ibaka that bloated contract, but I suppose anything that keeps Siakam from starting has to be a plus.

Comment

• Though I hope he turns it around, there is no way Ibaka has been a top-100 player since 2014. That SI puts him at 58 is an indication of the low quality of their analysis.

I'm rooting for Serge, it would be great if he could turn it around. But it's more likely that he is Ujiri's Jermain O'Neal.

I wish we kept Patterson and Tucker instead.

Comment

• My only thing with Ibaka is that if your going to pay him that much money you have to use him where he is more effective. I believe he is more effective as a stretch 5 than 4. Keeps him more around the rim. Which we than benefit from his rim protection. Also on offence it drag out the other teams best rim protector. I think Ibaka can be better but, as a center. When he moved to center in that Mil series our D and O went to another level.

In the clip below shows all of Ibaka's blocks in the playoffs. There are 17 possessions. 13 of them came with Ibaka playing center. I believe that Ibaka blocks have gone down because the 4 spot is a perimeter position now. Most 4s are out on the perimeter. If you want to maximize him you have to play him at C. With this 3 year window we should be trying to maximize our 3 best players.
        https://youtu.be/g4fsTIZ0Yjo

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          My only thing with Ibaka is that if your going to pay him that much money you have to use him where he is more effective. I believe he is more effective as a stretch 5 than 4. Keeps him more around the rim. Which we than benefit from his rim protection. Also on offence it drag out the other teams best rim protector. I think Ibaka can be better but, as a center. When he moved to center in that Mil series our D and O went to another level.

In the clip below shows all of Ibaka's blocks in the playoffs. There are 17 possessions. 13 of them came with Ibaka playing center. I believe that Ibaka blocks have gone down because the 4 spot is a perimeter position now. Most 4s are out on the perimeter. If you want to maximize him you have to play him at C. With this 3 year window we should be trying to maximize our 3 best players.
          https://youtu.be/g4fsTIZ0Yjo

A stretch C only drags out the other team's best rim protector if you have a stretch 4 to go along with them. If the Raptors started Ibaka at the 5, it would be beside Siakam, in which case there would be no more spacing than there is with Ibaka and JV.

That said, I don't really care about maximizing Ibaka's blocks. If the team can find success with him at the 4 (and there are all sorts of reasons to believe they will), what's wrong with his block numbers dipping?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            A stretch C only drags out the other team's best rim protector if you have a stretch 4 to go along with them. If the Raptors started Ibaka at the 5, it would be beside Siakam, in which case there would be no more spacing than there is with Ibaka and JV.

That said, I don't really care about maximizing Ibaka's blocks. If the team can find success with him at the 4 (and there are all sorts of reasons to believe they will), what's wrong with his block numbers dipping?
            It's not just about his numbers dropping. It's about keepin him around the rim more. He is more valuable around the rim than on perimeter. Which adds to intimidation around the rim. It also helps when it come to PnR D. Having two bigs in you lineup who can guard the PnR effectively is big in a spread pnr league. JV at center doesn't bring rim protection or good pnr coverage.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• JV's a decently good rim protector if you look past his raw blocking numbers.

And as I said in another thread, a lot of Ibaka's success at C had to do with Tucker being on the floor at PF. The highly anticipated Ibaka/Patterson combo really wasn't all that great as it should have been but placing Tucker at the 4 spot really elevated the team.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                JV's a decently good rim protector if you look past his raw blocking numbers.

And as I said in another thread, a lot of Ibaka's success at C had to do with Tucker being on the floor at PF. The highly anticipated Ibaka/Patterson combo really wasn't all that great as it should have been but placing Tucker at the 4 spot really elevated the team.
                A lot of it also had to do with that lineup being used against small opposition. When the opposition was bigger, they ran out that Ibaka-Pat lineup, and they struggled, but when Ibaka at C was used specifically to match up to small competition (ie when Tucker played the 4), it went great. It's why I think Ibaka should be used sparingly at C, specifically to match up small, usually near the end of the game against most opponents.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                  JV's a decently good rim protector if you look past his raw blocking numbers.

Yeah he's an ok rim protector, the problem is there's other things that are arguably more important than that like being able to hedge and switch effectively in a pick and roll or defend shooting bigs on the perimeter effectively, neither of which JV has the mobility or IQ to do effectively.

Comment

• wrong thread.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                      Yeah he's an ok rim protector, the problem is there's other things that are arguably more important than that like being able to hedge and switch effectively in a pick and roll or defend shooting bigs on the perimeter effectively, neither of which JV has the mobility or IQ to do effectively.
                      No arguments there. Just refuting the point that Serge is much better at C overall than JV is.

Comment

• Today is ibakas birthday. I hope I can look as good as he does at 44!
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Today is ibakas birthday. I hope I can look as good as he does at 44!
                          lol

Seriously tho his play better hold steady. If he is in decline the way some fear, this three year window is screwed.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I think his game gets better this year.

Comment

• Ibaka says he is down 10 pounds! Think he realizes the game is speeding up
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                Ibaka says he is down 10 pounds! Think he realizes the game is speeding up
                                And that he'll be playing mostly PF...
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X