Game #38 Toronto Raptors 114 - Brooklyn Nets 113

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Game's like these shake my confidence in the "culture reset". Nets had a nice game-plan for defending the Raps and we responded by surrounding our primary ball handler (DeMar) with 3 additional ball-handlers (Lowry, FVV, Delon), 2 of whom are not even great shooters. Should have had OG in there for defense, rebounding and stretching the floor and trusted the offense. Instead, we opted for ball-handling overkill to trying to close it out too early. Casey's been decent overall this season, but this game never should have went to overtime. FVV clearly didn't have it, and Casey tried force fit him into a game he didn't belong in.
    GLF wrote: View Post
    I will agree that Casey's love for having a ton of ball handlers on the floor to end games needs to stop. Especially if they can't shoot because it just causes us to end up going ISO more often than not
    GLF wrote: View Post
    Van Vleet closing close games HAS to end. It just has to. He wasn't even playing well last night and he STILL got to close. Casey always has to find a way to fall in love with a player that he shouldn't. It's so annoying
    I guess the option to not having Fred on the floor is to have Norm on the floor if the coaching staff wants a troika of good ball handlers and good free throw shooters.

But at present don’t see how Norm is ahead of either Delon or Freddy as that option. His handle is broken and his shot is struggling. Relatively speaking Norms struggles this year is the only piece of fly drek on the Raps windshield. A minor issue.

Freddy is as good a FT shooter as Delon and stats say he turns it over less on a per game basis. Casey hates turnovers more than anything so I guess it’s Freddy till Delon shows the staff that he is less of a risk than Fred to turn it over. It’s a subjective measure and clearly the coaching staffs call....but until that impression hits or Norm has his epiphany and returns to playoff Norm of last year...it’s FVV to close.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jan 9, 2018, 02:11 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      I guess the option to not having Fred on the floor is to have Norm on the floor if the coaching staff wants a troika of good ball handlers and good free throw shooters.

But at present don’t see how Norm is ahead of either Delon or Freddy as that option. His handle is broken and his shot is struggling. Relatively speaking Norms struggles this year is the only piece of fly drek on the Raps windshield. A minor issue.

Freddy is as good a FT shooter as Delon and stats say he turns it over less on a per game basis. Casey hates turnovers more than anything so I guess it’s Freddy till Delon shows the staff that he is less a risk than Fred. It’s subjective measure...but when that impression hits or Norm has his epiphany it’s FVV to close.
      Last night they closed regulation with Lowry/FVV/DD/Ibaka/JV, then at 1:45 subbed out JV for Delon, for the final possession they subbed out FVV for Miles.

In terms of replacing FVV, rather than Norm I'd try guys in this order: Delon>Miles>OG. But nothing should be set, there's half a season left - try some things out and see what works.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Freddy is as good a FT shooter as Delon and stats say he turns it over less on a per game basis. Casey hates turnovers more than anything so I guess it’s Freddy till Delon shows the staff that he is less of a risk than Fred to turn it over. It’s a subjective measure and clearly the coaching staffs call....but until that impression hits or Norm has his epiphany and returns to playoff Norm of last year...it’s FVV to close.
        But as somebody astutely pointed out in the Nets game thread, why did we need 3 ball-handlers + DeMar, when DeMar was handling the ball like 90% of the time anyway? That was 4 ball-handlers, which is massive overkill. We needed rebounding and shooting. That situation was crying out for OG, if you don't want to use Norm. The lack of rebounding bit us in the ass hard.

Comment

• I think last night was a opportunity for raptors players to pad stats and experiment a bit (ie. Siakam shooting threes like he's CJ) I think the focus was not there until maybe part way through overtime. It's hard for guys to just flip the switch. We need and I believe we will come out with more focus in the next few games against stiff comp.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            Last night they closed regulation with Lowry/FVV/DD/Ibaka/JV, then at 1:45 subbed out JV for Delon, for the final possession they subbed out FVV for Miles.

In terms of replacing FVV, rather than Norm I'd try guys in this order: Delon>Miles>OG. But nothing should be set, there's half a season left - try some things out and see what works.
            golden wrote: View Post
            But as somebody astutely pointed out in the Nets game thread, why did we need 3 ball-handlers + DeMar, when DeMar was handling the ball like 90% of the time anyway? That was 4 ball-handlers, which is massive overkill. We needed rebounding and shooting. That situation was crying out for OG, if you don't want to use Norm. The lack of rebounding bit us in the ass hard.
            It’s not an easy answer eh? Plenty of permutations. Nice problem to have in that we are usually in a position to hold onto the lead to close out the game.

I hope Norms epiphany comes soon...I think he’s the key to how they approach who sees the floor to nail it down.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
              To be fair, the idea of an all-bench unit with FVV-Powell as the backcourt is making me a little squeamish
              Good point. Starting Fred wouldn't be a bad idea. As long as he doesn't try to be Lowry
              OG is our king

Comment

It’s not an easy answer eh? Plenty of permutations. Nice problem to have in that we are usually in a position to hold onto the lead to close out the game.

I hope Norms epiphany comes soon...I think he’s the key to how they approach who sees the floor to nail it down.
                It's a very easy answer. Don't play FVV in the clutch. Problem solved! Basically every permutation works if you take him out of the lineup.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                  Good point. Starting Fred wouldn't be a bad idea. As long as he doesn't try to be Lowry
                  OMG no, it would be a very bad idea.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    OMG no, it would be a very bad idea.
                    Delon starting would end up leaving Fred to spearhead the bench unit by himself. That sounds scarier to me
                    OG is our king

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Just bring him back in 100% health, not 50% just so we can say how brave he is playing ineffectively through the pain

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                        Delon starting would end up leaving Fred to spearhead the bench unit by himself. That sounds scarier to me
                        As it has ever been over the past few years, the Raptors need to stop worrying about their bench units so much and focus on playing their best players against the opposition's best players.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

As it has ever been over the past few years, the Raptors need to stop worrying about their bench units so much and focus on playing their best players against the opposition's best players.
                          Yeah good point. Thinking of pudgy little Fred going up against Dragic sounds horrible
                          OG is our king

Comment

• At the rate fred is getting promoted he might be VP of basketball operations by april
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

People forget that until this year, the bench hardly saw the floor and the last 2-3 guys almost never saw the floor unless true garbage time ie Bruno time

Comment

• It's funny how it's so clear Fred shouldn't be closing close games and stats prove that but Casey will ride with him until the end. It happens every year with at least one player no matter how much it doesn't work. I'm not even going to waste my time hoping Dwane stops closing with Fred. He's going to close with him until we lose a couple games in the playoffs. Just watch.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X