Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valanciunas needs to come off the bench.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    If you're trading him for an expiring you need to be getting picks that have some actual value to be used later. If not you need to get a player who can help us more right now.

Just trading him for Mirotic straight up like Christian wants would be moronic.
    Can Mirotic not be traded by the draft? He's got a team option that needs to be exercised by Jun 29 per BBI. I'm sure Memphis or LAC would prefer an expiring they can waive over a guy like JV that has 2+ years left on his deal.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      You realize there's penalties beyond "costs owners money" right? Like ones that can handcuff your basketball operations?

To me it's not worth it being in the tax until you're in the top tier conversation for a title, JUUUUSST below it, or some other rare exceptions where you really need to keep core members together because you believe you'll be there soon. None of those apply to us.

Dallas fans are interested in trading Noel for JV. We would want to swindle more from them seeing as he's a DNP-CD right now. Much higher defensive ceiling, fits into what we're doing, opens up cap wiggle room now and in the future, and gives more minutes to center Serge, Poeltl, Siakam.

I hated the idea a few months ago. Starting to come around to it now
      Ibaka/Biyombo didn't work in Orlando. i suspect Noel/Ibaka wouldn't either. If trading for Noel I'd prefer to trade for the cap space and not the player.. if we can get another player/prospect/pick than it would be worth it.. but I doubt Dallas would want to give up that since they're probably rebuilding.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        This is where I go ehhh....10 pts 7 reb with below average defense, and dropping. JV looks like the game is speeding around him, younger guys coming up behind him, and confidence dropping by the day. Maybe I'm reading too much into the last couple weeks hurting his confidence and he'll start to bounce back later, but "Playoffs vs Pacers" JV? He seems like he's further and further away until he's a distant sight right now
        You know how many players provide 10 and 7 in less than half the game (<24 MPG)? 3.

In any case, it's not about production (though that is impressive production in limited minutes), it's about functionality. JV serves a purpose as an inside scorer, solid rebounder, screen setter and post defender that no other big on the team replicates right now (again, hopefully, with time, but not yet). Is there a hole on the roster at another position, or at his, that is bigger than the hole he would leave, and could be easily filled with a MLE type player? And if not, is it really worth saving 6M in cap hit to make that trade off?

Or if the answer is that such a hole doesn't really exist, and we'll be leaning on the youth anyway, it's just a move to save money.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• You're not getting 10-7 in 20mpg at center for the MLE.

However it's debatable whether we'd want that with Ibaka and Poeltl in tow already. It is true that we might be able to get something more useful to our squad for the MLE.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
            ok let me rephrase.

I don't give a FUCK about MLSE saving money or not. And neither should anyone else. Most of you use Bell or Rogers, no? They make enough money.
            It's nice to know you don't care but, you know who does? Masai, no one is going to give up picks for JV. You keep saying that he should go to the bench. Well whose going to give up picks/prospects for a bench player? Need to get realistic on JV returns. This probably the only place that hold JV in such high regards. Masai will sell low on JV because he waited to long. I thought JV would improve his value with strong play. I thought being on the block all summer would motivate him to improve but, I was wrong. His value gets worse by the game it seems.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Thu Dec 7, 2017, 02:48 AM.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              It's nice to know you don't care but, you know who does? Masai, no one is going to give up picks for JV. You keep saying that he should go to the bench. Well whose going to give up picks/prospects for a bench player? Need to get realistic on JV returns. This probably the only place that hold JV in such high regards. Masai will sell low on JV because he waited to long. I thought JV would improve his value with strong play. I thought being on the block all summer would motivate him to improve but, I was wrong. His value gets worse by the game it seems.

You make a decent point actually. Mirotic is probably around the same type of value as JV. If we can't do better than this then fine, pull the trigger.

Start Siakam-Ibaka. Run FVV or Wright/Powell/Miles/Mirotic/Poeltl off the bench. Mirotic gives the bench units another shooter to work with and his defense isn't too awful.

Couple things I'd change though about your plan. I would pick up his team option unless he's cancerous for us during the season or we have a better realistic target with the MLE. That way we have a 12.5M expiring to work with in a trade next year, which along with Powell would allow us to bring back like $25M in a trade for a star. Plus we'd have our picks to work with as well. I'd also try to get at least a 2nd rounder out of Chicago with him.

Comment

• Can JV and Powell be moved for cap space? How much could we clear by doing this?

Is Paul George a possibility here next season is basically what I'm asking,

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  Can JV and Powell be moved for cap space? How much could we clear by doing this?

The issue with JV will always be the difficulty of finding someone willing to take on his contract.

Comment

Can JV and Powell be moved for cap space? How much could we clear by doing this?

No it's impossible for us to clear that much cap space.

Edit: Even if you did dump JV and Powell; Lowry, DD, Ibaka alone are $80M next year. Salary cap is $108M. Not to mention all our young guys, roster charges, etc. It's impossible.

I suppose the only way would be if we colluded like the Rockets did, got George to pick up his player option and then traded for him using Powell and other assets. That will never happen though.
                    Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Thu Dec 7, 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• I hope Boston is in the same boat as us then

Comment

I hope Boston is in the same boat as us then
                        They are.. if they can unload Horford though they can get another max deal. I think they are all pining for Anthony Davis once he becomes a free agent or is tired of losing.

Comment

I hope Boston is in the same boat as us then
                          They are pretty much. Horford-Hayward-Kyrie costs almost exactly as much as Lowry-DeMar-Ibaka next year.

Their advantage is they have more high draft picks to work with in trades. And also Horford is probably easier to move than Ibaka.

Comment

• Horford is also young enough to be Ibaka's son.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• If ibaka could rebound the ball then yeah move him to C. I think ibaka would average more rebounds if he wasn't chasing stretch 4s. But I do feel like we get killed on the glass whenever he shifts over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Bulls undefeated with Mirotic back. Hit 5 3s last night.

Would rather 20min of this than JV
                                Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun Dec 10, 2017, 02:14 AM.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X