Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KHD wrote: View Post
    He's damn sure gone if the choice is between Casey or Lowry, which, if they flame out, seems pretty likely.

All these style of play comments mean little to me considering how badly coached this team is.
    Add to that the money they'd have to eat for the rest of Casey's contract is really peanuts to giants like Bell and Rogers. Especially when you add the possible tradeoff of losing Lowry....

-Keep player who costs a shitload more but helps generate absurd revenues by leading us to playoff basketball
    -Keep cheaper coach and quite possible miss playoffs without Lowry, thus missing out on the playoff revenues every franchise covets

It's really a no-brainer.

Comment

He's damn sure gone if the choice is between Casey or Lowry, which, if they flame out, seems pretty likely.

All these style of play comments mean little to me considering how badly coached this team is.
      Team has been coached badly for a long time yet Masai has given Casey 2 extensions through it all.

I'll believe Casey gone when I see it.

Comment

Odin wrote: View Post
        Team has been coached badly for a long time yet Masai has given Casey 2 extensions through it all.

I'll believe Casey gone when I see it.
        the second MLSE thinks Lowry (and thus playoff / good team $$) might leave, casey will be out the door so fast it'll make your head spin.

Comment

agreed

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Add to that the money they'd have to eat for the rest of Casey's contract is really peanuts to giants like Bell and Rogers. Especially when you add the possible tradeoff of losing Lowry....

-Keep player who costs a shitload more but helps generate absurd revenues by leading us to playoff basketball
            -Keep cheaper coach and quite possible miss playoffs without Lowry, thus missing out on the playoff revenues every franchise covets

It's really a no-brainer.

I agree with the premise and I can't emphasize enough how much I'd like Casey canned.

However, Masai has shown great loyalty to Casey. There is obviously more to the personal and professional relationship than meets the eye to fans.

Also, there are a lot of trade offs for Lowry in leaving:
            - lower annual raises,
            - starting over at 31,
            - uncertainty

Comment

the second MLSE thinks Lowry (and thus playoff / good team $$) might leave, casey will be out the door so fast it'll make your head spin.

I hope you're right.

But I think the person MLSE is most interested in keeping happy is Masai Ujiri.

Comment

I hope you're right.

But I think the person MLSE is most interested in keeping happy is Masai Ujiri.
                pretty sure MLSE is most concerned with keeping the bottom line happy. Fortunately, over the last few years they seemed to realize that spending to win brings in more than pinching pennies and sucking. but to what extent, i don't know, especially with Tim Leiweke out the door.

Comment

Things are very interesting now with the Ibaka trade. Obviously he was not traded as a rental. I don't think Masai makes the deal if that is the case (as he has said) and there is strong connections between work in Africa and Lowry/Serge sharing the same agent. I think you get Ibaka and Lowry for $50m combined. I think Lowry gets same amount as DeRozan annually ($27m) and Serge gets around $23m (Ryan Anderson got $20m last year so that seems right).

With those assumptions, you have about $106,000,000 tied up in 11 players: DeRozan, Lowry, Ibaka, Carroll, Yahkob, Bebe, Caboclo, Delon, Siakam, Powell, and FvV.

The magic number is $122m (or whatever the luxury tax is as determined around July 1st).

That leaves about $16M for 4 roster spots and the new mid-level will be around $8m.

I think Joseph and Valanciunas are gone this summer for draft picks (current year possible and future). Joseph is Canadian but once you get past that he is more than expendable. Jonas is great but he doesn't fit the style of play the team desires and, 5 years in, Casey still won't close a game with him. I hope Okafor doesn't end up in New Orleans - I think JV can make a nice impact next to Anthony Davis (and in the Western Conference).

Patterson is possible to return assuming he is willing to take a small discount, say around $11M per year. He is a Casey fav, apparently loves Toronto, and has turned down more money 3 years ago to stay in a favorable situation. Lightning strike twice?
                  you're missing around $1.5m assuming we keep our 1st rd pick. also, the luxury will be around 122 but the cap will be lower. i think we are lucky to keep pat with is bird rights after resigning serge and kyle. i dont think theres money to add an FA from another team, except with exceptions.
                  also, i think we're looking north of $55m to keep kyle and ibaka but will see their performances first.

Comment

actually has the rookie scale gone up for this draft under the new cba? maybe the pick is worth $3m now?

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
                      you're missing around $1.5m assuming we keep our 1st rd pick. also, the luxury will be around 122 but the cap will be lower. i think we are lucky to keep pat with is bird rights after resigning serge and kyle. i dont think theres money to add an FA from another team, except with exceptions.
                      also, i think we're looking north of $55m to keep kyle and ibaka but will see their performances first.
                      In my mind the 2017 first round pick was one of the 4 roster spots and $16m remaining.

The only way to add a free agent from another team is an exception or minimum contract. The Raptors have no cap space whatsoever. I'm sure you recognize this but I'm not sure all fans realize it.

It will be interesting to see how much it takes to keep them. Masai has shown to be extremely loyal and willing to stick with guys through good and bad. For all the cliche of building a culture, he has done that in Toronto. I think that kind of reputation allows you to bring up the possibility of taking a little less for team financial flexibility. There are strong opinions on DeRozan either way but one thing he did was take less than he could have.

Raps have one of the best cap gurus in Bobby Webster too.

Comment

In my mind the 2017 first round pick was one of the 4 roster spots and $16m remaining.

The only way to add a free agent from another team is an exception or minimum contract. The Raptors have no cap space whatsoever. I'm sure you recognize this but I'm not sure all fans realize it.

It will be interesting to see how much it takes to keep them. Masai has shown to be extremely loyal and willing to stick with guys through good and bad. For all the cliche of building a culture, he has done that in Toronto. I think that kind of reputation allows you to bring up the possibility of taking a little less for team financial flexibility. There are strong opinions on DeRozan either way but one thing he did was take less than he could have.

Raps have one of the best cap gurus in Bobby Webster too.
                        I'm just don't understand the $16m available? We might have that room under the luxury but not the cap so best we could do is resign pat, no?
                        DD took a slight discount. I think you suggested $48m for ibaka and Lowry? I thinks its $10m+ more or thereabouts. $48m sure would help tho. Then if we got pat for $12m that would be awesome but I think it's closer to $65-75m for those 3. At that point one or more of cojo, jv, bebe and Dmc are all targets to go.
                        We will see. Lots of basketball still. I'm leaning yak/ibaka/pat atm.

Comment

I'm just don't understand the $16m available? We might have that room under the luxury but not the cap so best we could do is resign pat, no?
                          DD took a slight discount. I think you suggested $48m for ibaka and Lowry? I thinks its $10m+ more or thereabouts. $48m sure would help tho. Then if we got pat for $12m that would be awesome but I think it's closer to $65-75m for those 3. At that point one or more of cojo, jv, bebe and Dmc are all targets to go.
                          We will see. Lots of basketball still. I'm leaning yak/ibaka/pat atm.
                          $106m for 11 players originally listed. In that, $50m for Ibaka/Lowry - ~$23/$27m split.

$16m to sign 4 roster spots before luxury tax....that isn't cap space.

With that $16m, as said, no cap space. It is Bird Rights (PP), mid level exception, bi-annual exception, draft picks, and minimum contracts.

Slice it and dice it any way you wish.

But all of that assumes JV and Joseph are gone which I think is a given.

Comment

OK, I thought u were say $16m on the open market, nvm.
                            Yeah, Cory seems likely. Not sure whether pat/jv/DMC are back. Bebe too.

Comment

OK, I thought u were say $16m on the open market, nvm.
                              Yeah, Cory seems likely. Not sure whether pat/jv/DMC are back. Bebe too.
                              I don't want Bebe back. He's way too soft and I don't want Casey to have him as an option even at the end of the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If we resign Lowry and Ibaka for lets say 27m and 25m
                                then trade Carroll, Cojo, Bebe for picks and vets (lets say VC)
                                then Trade JV and Pick(s) for a young defensive center (lets say Miles Turner)

Do we still have cap space to sign a Max player

Lowry(27m) - Wright - VV
                                DeRozan(27m) - Powell
                                MAX LVL (25m+) - Carter - Bruno
                                Ibaka (25m) - Pascal - Pick
                                Turner (3m?) -Jakob
                                Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Working...
                                X